Quad headphone driver project thingy
Jun 9, 2013 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PFULMTL

100+ Head-Fier
This is something that I wanted to do for a while.  I couldn't figure out which headphones to sacrifice.  I originally wanted to have a bassy driver with an analytical driver.  For example Sony XB500 with Shure SRH440.  I just wanted to hear what it would sound like.

While doing another driver transplant project, it left me with 2 spare drivers that still sounded decent.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664305/a-brief-tutorial-on-headphone-driver-swapping-video

I bought the headphone again because it really is unbreakable, I've tried!  Was only $35 shipped and used in Like New condition from Amazon.
On the sound itself, the Philips Oneil Stretch is a bassy headphone with a slight dark sound signature.  Not bad actually, but I would not pay full price.

So first step is to take it apart.

Carefully cut the drivers out with a utility knife.  Label the sides.

Solder them together.  This diagram I drew is for a one sided 3 wire cable.

This actually is not going to be a headphone first.  I will be hot gluing or taping it inside a plastic peanut butter jar to see if it works well as a speaker for my bike that I can put in my drink holder.  Having the top open would act like a megaphone.  Amping these loud with the Fiio E7 is pretty good already and four drivers vs two adds much more weight.  I've heard some horrible speakers coming from motorcycles.../shudders

Next step, find large durable donor headphone.  I'm thinking the Takstar Gemini DJ because of the earcup size, metal hinges, and it's about $70. I could then line up the drivers vertically.  I'm not even sure if there is any benefit for having four of the same drivers....so I might not even put them in a headphone until I find another headphone to sacrifice.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Turns out that the peanut butter jar was not a good idea because it was too fat and there wasn't enough space for the drivers to breathe and it created a dry sound.  I will try to find a long ....hot dog shaped container to put the drivers in and attach them here or on the above rail.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 4
I would suggest taking a look in the plumbing section of a hardware store - lots of different size plastic pipes and end caps and such - as a possible source for weather proof outdoor ready enclosures.

("Turns out that the peanut butter jar was not a good idea"- Man, that line just really cracked me up.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back