QUAD ERA-1 Thread
May 7, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,563 of 2,268
Is anybody using these with Hart cables? Their 3.5mm option looks like it would fit, but then I thought I read that the ERA-1 has a different cup-side pinout. If not, I'd love to hear any rec for an inexpensive cable.

May 8, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #1,564 of 2,268
Is anybody using these with Hart cables? Their 3.5mm option looks like it would fit, but then I thought I read that the ERA-1 has a different cup-side pinout. If not, I'd love to hear any rec for an inexpensive cable.
I have 3x HC-9 Dual 3.5mm Mono TS Balanced cables by Hart Audio Cables for my Elegia, D9200 and the Quad ERA-1 and they work perfectly fine (3.5mm connectors on headphone side are slim enough and fit).

May 8, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,565 of 2,268
I have 3x HC-9 Dual 3.5mm Mono TS Balanced cables by Hart Audio Cables for my Elegia, D9200 and the Quad ERA-1 and they work perfectly fine (3.5mm connectors on headphone side are slim enough and fit).

My follow-up question was going to be "how do you like the cable?" But the fact that you own 3 speaks volumes. Thanks for the info!

May 8, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #1,566 of 2,268
My follow-up question was going to be "how do you like the cable?" But the fact that you own 3 speaks volumes. Thanks for the info!
In total I have 9 custom Hard Audio Cables, so I am kinda fanboy😎 I am not into cable sound, but I appreciate good quality handmade cables and the modular interconnect system is just great. You can have any cable customized to your liking, but they are always copper cables. The first cables were thicker and stiffer, but the later are more flexible and thinner by default.

May 11, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,567 of 2,268
Just picked up a pair of Quads from the classifieds here. Really excited to get them. I've read most of the thread and watched a few reviews, and they seem to be exactly what I am after sound wise. Anyway, now I'm looking for amp suggestions. The only thing I have right now other than my phone to drive them is ALLO Boss--Fosi tube preamp--Marantz 2240b. More than enough, but I want a desktop amp for another room. Source will be a raspberry pi 4 streamer with a DAC board (probably ALLO) unless there is a DAC/Amp that will work with the raspy outputs decently. Prefer an optical input but it's not necessary. Would like a amp with pre outs like the Jotunheim. Budget $500, used is okay.
Listening is mostly metal, hard rock, and occasionally folk/bluegrass. Not looking for critical/analytical. Prefer a warmer sound and decent bass.

May 11, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,568 of 2,268
Just picked up a pair of Quads from the classifieds here. Really excited to get them. I've read most of the thread and watched a few reviews, and they seem to be exactly what I am after sound wise. Anyway, now I'm looking for amp suggestions. The only thing I have right now other than my phone to drive them is ALLO Boss--Fosi tube preamp--Marantz 2240b. More than enough, but I want a desktop amp for another room. Source will be a raspberry pi 4 streamer with a DAC board (probably ALLO) unless there is a DAC/Amp that will work with the raspy outputs decently. Prefer an optical input but it's not necessary. Would like a amp with pre outs like the Jotunheim. Budget $500, used is okay.
Listening is mostly metal, hard rock, and occasionally folk/bluegrass. Not looking for critical/analytical. Prefer a warmer sound and decent bass.

I really like my Ifi micro Idsd black. Great dac/amp with a small footprint that works great with whatever headphone you want to use. Ifi's Swedish import agent was selling their last ones for around $400 dollar a while ago and I was lucky to get one. I guess that's around the same amount they're selling second hand.

May 12, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,569 of 2,268
Maybe its 'below' the DAC/amp class you are looking for, but you could give the iFi ZEN DAC V2 (yes, only USB input) a chance for the Quads. With TrueBass enabled very decent bass on the ERA-1, very much like them on that little unit (even if I have many better amplifiers at my disposal).

May 15, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,570 of 2,268
Maybe its 'below' the DAC/amp class you are looking for, but you could give the iFi ZEN DAC V2 (yes, only USB input) a chance for the Quads. With TrueBass enabled very decent bass on the ERA-1, very much like them on that little unit (even if I have many better amplifiers at my disposal).

Going to pull the plug on this myself with the additional power supply. Looks like a fun chain with Era-1 for electronic music:)

May 15, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #1,572 of 2,268
These're all great amps to drive the Era-1.
Well, it's not a picky headphone like some others.
If i'd be on the hunt, i'd pick an iFi device with the xBass feature for a fun pairing, i guess.
I'm very intrigued to hear how the Era-1 sounds with that bit more lows. :)
Know that it can handle it very well and will sound fantastic anyway.

Have to say that i'm not into eqing and like the different presentation of my devices (R28, Mojo, BTR5/ V30).

It's all about the (yours and mine) music enjoyment.
Great to have this headphone in my arsenal.

Have fun, guys.

May 17, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,573 of 2,268
Hey there,
joined the club today. The era-1 was on my list for a long time. To be honest, I wanted to just hear it and then sell it again as I did not expect it to keep up with my current collection. I was just curious about the sound. But at the moment I think that I will very likely keep it :beyersmile: The era-1 sounds really nice. Compared to my Audeze headphones it is more airy and light and therfore very good for long listening sessions. And tt still has some weight to the sound. The only thing that bothers me is the build quality. It feels very cheap and creaks a little. And it is nothing for people with small heads. Other thant that it is one of the best headphones I personally have heard under 1K€.

May 17, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #1,574 of 2,268
Hey there,
joined the club today. The era-1 was on my list for a long time. To be honest, I wanted to just hear it and then sell it again as I did not expect it to keep up with my current collection. I was just curious about the sound. But at the moment I think that I will very likely keep it :beyersmile: The era-1 sounds really nice. Compared to my Audeze headphones it is more airy and light and therfore very good for long listening sessions. And tt still has some weight to the sound. The only thing that bothers me is the build quality. It feels very cheap and creaks a little. And it is nothing for people with small heads. Other thant that it is one of the best headphones I personally have heard under 1K€.
Yes totally agree, I also did pick up ERA-1 out of curiosity some time ago and still have them around. But with the build and creaking you are right, this is very unfortunate, since you are not allowed to move your head and jaw very much while listening (was not the case when they were brand new when I received them).

May 17, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #1,575 of 2,268
Haven’t experienced that with mine …. Yet ? .. 😳
I‘d be trying a touch of ceramic grease, the kind they use on RC cars, on the hinge and swivel points … just a little in the right place on the point of a pin should work it’s way in …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back