QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,351 of 2,268
Would these headphones satisfy a bass head looking for an open back? Someone looking for a lot of sub bass rumble with with the open back and spacious sound.

If anyone can help me with this, please. Thanks
Pretty much what phthora said. It really depends on your expectations. When I started my head-fi journey I thought I was a bass head and was looking for bass heavy headphones only. But then quickly realized a clean midrange was also useful to appreciate the rest of the music. The Quad is really nice because while it does have deep and impactful bass, it leaves the room for the midrange to breathe. The only thing is that the treble is definitely not shy on this headphone and you might like something with a darker tone, that allows you to push a higher level of bass comfortably.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,352 of 2,268
I'm incredibly unlucky! Now I got the same problem with vibration / distortion on bass / midrange on one of my two pair of Quads again! This time on the right side, and exactly the same error had on the very first set! And this time it must have developed over a certain time period! The first set with same error, had it from the very first day.

And the most amazing thing is that HiFi-Freaks that I bought both sets of - is now bankrupt.

Are there any more of you good with Quads who have had problems with the drivers? And I really wonder what it is that is actually physically going wrong with them?

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,353 of 2,268
I'm incredibly unlucky! Now I got the same problem with vibration / distortion on bass / midrange on one of my two pair of Quads again! This time on the right side, and exactly the same error had on the very first set! And this time it must have developed over a certain time period! The first set with same error, had it from the very first day.

And the most amazing thing is that HiFi-Freaks that I bought both sets of - is now bankrupt.

Are there any more of you good with Quads who have had problems with the drivers? And I really wonder what it is that is actually physically going wrong with them?

You might pop them open and inspect the driver, front and back. That one-sided distortion in the bass could point to something physically touching the driver. The most common culprit is simply a hair, but it could also be some loose damping material or the dust filter or even the wiring brushing up against the diaphragm. You may also notice a tear or crease in the diaphragm, which would obviously be a problem. If you cannot see anything like that, try running them with the driver exposed and see if the bass distortion persists. If it does, check the screw tension, particularly for the screws closest to the diaphragm. Too loose or too tight could be an issue. You want them all to be even and firmly set. Hopefully it's something easy to set right. Good luck!

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #1,354 of 2,268
You might pop them open and inspect the driver, front and back. That one-sided distortion in the bass could point to something physically touching the driver. The most common culprit is simply a hair, but it could also be some loose damping material or the dust filter or even the wiring brushing up against the diaphragm. You may also notice a tear or crease in the diaphragm, which would obviously be a problem. If you cannot see anything like that, try running them with the driver exposed and see if the bass distortion persists. If it does, check the screw tension, particularly for the screws closest to the diaphragm. Too loose or too tight could be an issue. You want them all to be even and firmly set. Hopefully it's something easy to set right. Good luck!

Thank you! I think this is the right way to go, but I was not sure if I had the courage to open them, they're just 7 months old. But, what the heck, I'll give it a try! Do you have any idea where one can get a manual on how to open them up? If not, I will calmly try to open them, as I open a detonator on a bomb, and remember how they were screwed together - give me strength! But if anyone here knows a tip/trix, I am very grateful for good advices!

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,355 of 2,268
Thank you! I think this is the right way to go, but I was not sure if I had the courage to open them, they're just 7 months old. But, what the heck, I'll give it a try! Do you have any idea where one can get a manual on how to open them up? If not, I will calmly try to open them, as I open a detonator on a bomb, and remember how they were screwed together - give me strength! But if anyone here knows a tip/trix, I am very grateful for good advices!

Here is an "exploded view" of the build. This will at least help you locate the screws and such. The actual diaphragm would be between the two adjacent goldish rings, right after the magnets structures there. There are other such pictures on Google, but of course they show basically the same thing. Personally, I'd leave the magnet structures together if at all possible, as it looks like the two magnet sections sandwich together with one set of screws.

28611-era-1-exploded-image-2_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #1,356 of 2,268
Best of luck to you, man..
If it works, do not forget to buy some lottery tickets... Who knows...

Also contact QUAD and inform them that your vendor went bankrupt. They might take over your warranty... ( and mine..)

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,357 of 2,268
Best of luck to you, man..
If it works, do not forget to buy some lottery tickets... Who knows...

Also contact QUAD and inform them that your vendor went bankrupt. They might take over your warranty... ( and mine..)
Lottery tickets? :sunglasses: :innocent::see_no_evil::moneybag::moneybag::dollar::money_with_wings::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I'll give it a go first one my one before I offer Quad to happily take over the warranty, and I'll be extremely careful with my surgical precision screwdrivers without leaving any marks, cause last I contacted Quad when the very first set "brrrrrrrrred", they appeared reasonably arrogant - as if I lived in the worst slum in India, and they drank posh Cognac in heaven...

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,358 of 2,268
You know.. It can happen.. Not to me though..

A few months back, I sold my Schiit Jotunheim1 and my Schiit Modius dac. Thought a Quad Vera II Play would satisfy my musical needs.. It didn't..

So tonight I ordered a Schiit Magnius to be an periodic relief.. I am sure the ERA-1 can do so much more.

Thinking of a Benchmark DAC3B or a Chord Qutest and later on a great amp for the ERA-1, maybe tubes..

Who knows what the future may bring..

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #1,359 of 2,268
You know.. It can happen.. Not to me though..

A few months back, I sold my Schiit Jotunheim1 and my Schiit Modius dac. Thought a Quad Vera II Play would satisfy my musical needs.. It didn't..

So tonight I ordered a Schiit Magnius to be an periodic relief.. I am sure the ERA-1 can do so much more.

Thinking of a Benchmark DAC3B or a Chord Qutest and later on a great amp for the ERA-1, maybe tubes..

Who knows what the future may bring..

I have a Woo Wa6 in my collection (fd7 drivers ang gz34 rectifier) and the Era1 likes that (my Tinhifi P1 planar iem likes too). But there are number of good tube amps or great solids, the Era1 isn't a hysterical phone on amplification, but a quality and powerhouse amp can bring out the bass in quantity and depth, more layers.
Easy to drive, very easy, but it can show its sabretooth on massive amps only, like other planars usually.
Something warmer characteristic amp is good match with imo, depend on your taste.

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #1,360 of 2,268
I have been looking at Woo.. Can you give some impression of the Woo Audio WA 6 SE and the ERA-1 with that Woo ?

Thnx

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,361 of 2,268
I have a Woo Wa6 in my collection (fd7 drivers ang gz34 rectifier) and the Era1 likes that (my Tinhifi P1 planar iem likes too). But there are number of good tube amps or great solids, the Era1 isn't a hysterical phone on amplification, but a quality and powerhouse amp can bring out the bass in quantity and depth, more layers.
Easy to drive, very easy, but it can show its sabretooth on massive amps only, like other planars usually.
Something warmer characteristic amp is good match with imo, depend on your taste.
Couldn't agree more.
The Era-1 paired with a power house like my R28 is on par with my D9200 sonically, except the more present decay on low and mid bass.
They're sharing the same sonic signature out of the AGD R28, which makes me feel very happy about.

The level of detail is nearly the same, while the mids of the Era-1 are a tad better, imo.
As i stated before, i like the feel of the Era-1 when switching from another headphone of my compilation every time.
Despite that, i've never encountered a closer speaker like presentation of the sound than that of the Era-1.
This belongs to the sound, not soundstage or something else. :wink:

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,362 of 2,268
I have been looking at Woo.. Can you give some impression of the Woo Audio WA 6 SE and the ERA-1 with that Woo ?

Thnx
I don't know the SE, I have a solo one. I just read about the SE is the fine option of Wa6, got benefit of the separate and more massive power unit in terms of sound, more dynamic, stage.
Out of the box I didn't like the stock tubes. With those the sound was too plain and soft and 2D with Era1. These tubes request >150 hrs burn in (all compatibles), but I don't think those ones will turn to that sound I want to, and the guys on Wa6 topic says forget the stock tubes.
So I was browsing for tube types those can sing the Era1 to me on the way I like (stage, bass mainly) and decided to use a Genalex gz34 (new) rectifier with General Electric/Westinghouse 13fd7 power tubes (NOS). Out of the box the new set was an improvement over on the stock ones and I felt this is what I want, but also I felt they need burn in.
It's my secondary amp, I don't use a lot. 8 months old, and has 50-60 hrs run, so about 100 behind, but improved already the clarity mostly, and dynamic range feeling. Yet more it want 3-4 hrs warm up time, then I can feel that's alright. Clean background, quite large 3D stage, rumbling, detailed bass, sweet highs and mids with body.
I listen almost every genres, except hardcore metal styles, and I don't miss things basically.
Only one complaint I have about this amp.
Its specs says it run phones from 8 ohm to 600.
It's true, but...
One of my favourite phone is a Final Sonorous 6. It has 8 ohm impedance, and buzz noise coming out I thing from the power unit. I checked this one on other same model, and I got same issue, so is not a particular problem only with my amp. With sensitive IEMs same noisy.
I didn't get any issue like this with Feliks tube amps. They are very nice sounding amps to, any, even the Echo is superb with the Era1. Those ones already good with stock tubes. You can roll them, but more for curiosity like because you need to.
But really there is million options you have for this phone, its not a HE6 :)
I know this time isn't okay to walk in hifi stores to try gears, but take your time, browsing, wait for chance to get personal impressions, because the final word comes from your ear, whatever what say others (like me :) )

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,363 of 2,268
Purchased my Quads. These are exactly what I was looking for in an open back. I am a basshead who has found a new interest in audiophile grade headphones. I've always wanted great clarity across all frequencies without sacrificing what I love - oodles of heavy bass!

Over the year, I've purchased and returned the Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-2C, and the Audeze LCD-X. People were telling me those 3 headphones (especially the LCD-2C) have great bass, but I was so disappointed with them in the bass department. All the hype about Audeze bass felt like one big anti-climax. I began to believe that I will never find an open back planar headphone with the level of bass I yearn for. Enter the Quad Era 1.. I have to admit, when I purchased them, I was expecting yet another anti climax and was thinking that I'll probably end up returning these also. BUT, I am more than impressed with the Quads. They have satisfied my bass craving, and provide superb clarity across the mids and the highs.

Whoever the Quad engineer is, hats off to you!

I'm happy.

I pair them with my Astell & Kern Kann Cube on mid gain with absolutely zero EQing.

Beautiful.

Attachments

• 20201223_155732.jpg
    20201223_155732.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,364 of 2,268
Purchased my Quads. These are exactly what I was looking for in an open back. I am a basshead who has found a new interest in audiophile grade headphones. I've always wanted great clarity across all frequencies without sacrificing what I love - oodles of heavy bass!

Over the year, I've purchased and returned the Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-2C, and the Audeze LCD-X. People were telling me those 3 headphones (especially the LCD-2C) have great bass, but I was so disappointed with them in the bass department. All the hype about Audeze bass felt like one big anti-climax. I began to believe that I will never find an open back planar headphone with the level of bass I yearn for. Enter the Quad Era 1.. I have to admit, when I purchased them, I was expecting yet another anti climax and was thinking that I'll probably end up returning these also. BUT, I am more than impressed with the Quads. They have satisfied my bass craving, and provide superb clarity across the mids and the highs.

Whoever the Quad engineer is, hats off to you!

I'm happy.

I pair them with my Astell & Kern Kann Cube on mid gain with absolutely zero EQing.

Beautiful.
This is so cool, glad you enjoy them and welcome to the club :)

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,365 of 2,268
I'm right now comparing the Quad against the Audeze LCD-2 Classic, the "new" Audeze ones without Fazor, and one of the first sets of Verum One from Verum Audio by Roman from the Ukraine. Bought the Audeze today - and that's the reason why I'm testing now. I have always said that the Quads will completely destroy both Audeze and Verum, well...

I'll have to admit - confess something awful, disgusting and deeply shameful: I have started to EQ all the music I listen to - almost. Before this, I would not even see anything reminiscent of EQ. I almost hatet the "EQ-idiots", all the did was destroying perfect music!

This summer I began to talk with someone who professional produces music in a studio. I bought a set of headphones from him. He is really into it all, he convinced me to give EQ a go, just testing. I'm a newbie, and uses Peace equalizer/APO. I'm eternally thankful to this man, he woke me up to the fantastic world of EQ. I was ashamed as a dog when I started with this risky sport, didn't tell any of my hifi-friend's. Now I give a damn about it - and take advantage of enormous potential and all the exciting opportunities EQ provides. Fantastic!

Tested both Verum One and LCD-2 Classic against Quad.

I experience the possibility of more defined, tight, more punch/slam/rumble without bleeding, and clear bass on both Verum and LCD-2 Classic, and a little fatigue and less defined bass on the Quads. Before this little comparing, I have never noticed any of that "negative" on the Quads that I discovered when compare. All three sets roll off so deep that I lose it all to the earth's endless darkness. Still, and really - all three sets have a fantastic bass respons! And, for me now as important as the different headsets sleeping possibilities: All three has a fantastic bass opportunity!! in them, both with and without EQ. :beyersmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back