Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jan 3, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #1,921 of 2,156
So, I did a search on Apple Music, Amazon Unlimited, Qobuz, and Spotify. Apparently there seems to be issues with the licensing for streaming because ALL of them lack both albums by Marvel Comics. There are some playlists where someone has pieced together the tracks independently. My experience has been that when nobody has it, it gets resolved in a month or so. As for other specific tracks from specific albums, I have been frustrated on numerous occasions where Qobuz hasn’t licensed them (as I’m sure you have experienced).

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #1,922 of 2,156
Hi there

I'm hoping someone here can help me... I currently have subs for both Tidal and Qobuz.
I desperately want to like Qobuz but I really struggle with the app. Actually not the app, which is fine, but the searching.

Whenever I search for a track it almost never gives me what I want, either searching by artist, or track name. And forget ever searching for a soundtrack, all I get is curated soundtracks which sometimes are the original tracks just manually pulled together, but often as n

Look for "Guardians of the galaxy" and you get "Music inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy". This is one of the better ones but even that is wrong, e.g. has Elton John's Spirit in the Sky, not Norman Greenbaum. And why give me Elton John's track instead of Norman's when if I search for that manually it is available?
Equally often we can get covers that have nothing to do with the original tracks, or even instrumental/lift music.

Look for "Michael Jackson". The first hit is "the essential Michael Jackson". The second is "This is It". The third is some homage called "never say Goodbye" which is a Jazz pianists collection of MJ covers.

I appreciate people curating their own playlists but why does the app prioritise third-party stuff above the actual author, singles, albums and soundtracks that I'm looking for? Although it can make for entertaining albeit embarrassing party mixes it makes it impossible to find anything unless I am very lucky with my searches.

Am I missing something here?
Yes I've experienced this too but an effective solution to finding just the track version you want is to search google or discogs 1st to see what album it is on, then search for that album. For example, if you want "Billie Jean", searching track title will result in many non-MJ versions, but if you search for "Michael Jackson Thriller" it will pull up correct album, one click away from hearing Billie Jean track in all of it's 80's glory. :ksc75smile: :musical_score:

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #1,923 of 2,156
Hi there

I'm hoping someone here can help me... I currently have subs for both Tidal and Qobuz.
I desperately want to like Qobuz but I really struggle with the app. Actually not the app, which is fine, but the searching.

Whenever I search for a track it almost never gives me what I want, either searching by artist, or track name. And forget ever searching for a soundtrack, all I get is curated soundtracks which sometimes are the original tracks just manually pulled together, but often as n

Look for "Guardians of the galaxy" and you get "Music inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy". This is one of the better ones but even that is wrong, e.g. has Elton John's Spirit in the Sky, not Norman Greenbaum. And why give me Elton John's track instead of Norman's when if I search for that manually it is available?
Equally often we can get covers that have nothing to do with the original tracks, or even instrumental/lift music.

Look for "Michael Jackson". The first hit is "the essential Michael Jackson". The second is "This is It". The third is some homage called "never say Goodbye" which is a Jazz pianists collection of MJ covers.

I appreciate people curating their own playlists but why does the app prioritise third-party stuff above the actual author, singles, albums and soundtracks that I'm looking for? Although it can make for entertaining albeit embarrassing party mixes it makes it impossible to find anything unless I am very lucky with my searches.

Am I missing something here?
Well, you probably don't want to spend more $$ on a Roon license, but their search engine combined with Qobuz seems to work quite well for me...

Leo

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,924 of 2,156
Well, you probably don't want to spend more $$ on a Roon license, but their search engine combined with Qobuz seems to work quite well for me...
You are lucky, because search is probably the most broken feature in the Roon product. Simple searches that work as expected in the Qobuz and Tidal apps may return odd results on Roon. On the Roon community forum, there are probably more threads about search issues than any other topic. Just a couple:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/search-no-longer-working-properly/209444
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/search-is-aggravating/185345
There have been some hilarious examples in the past (these have been fixed):
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/search-for-handel-returns-mozart-as-top-result/182104
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/search-build-884-beethoven-symphony-2-poor-results/185401

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,925 of 2,156
You are lucky, because search is probably the most broken feature in the Roon product. Simple searches that work as expected in the Qobuz and Tidal apps may return odd results on Roon. On the Roon community forum, there are probably more threads about search issues than any other topic. Just a couple:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/search-no-longer-working-properly/209444
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/search-is-aggravating/185345
There have been some hilarious examples in the past (these have been fixed):
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/search-for-handel-returns-mozart-as-top-result/182104
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/search-build-884-beethoven-symphony-2-poor-results/185401
I don’t have good experience with search functionality of Roon. I hope they make it better and get to the level of YouTube

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #1,926 of 2,156
Wonder if anyone else has run into this before.

About a month ago, the android app started giving me "The right-holders have not made this content available to listen" on tracks/albums that I have purchased and downloaded. Stuff that I do NOT own (such as playlists built from the Weekly Q) play just fine. It's only the music that I've actually paid for. Clearly neither the record companies nor Qobuz has the authority to prevent me from listening to DRM-free Flac files that I've legally purchased and have stored locally on my device.

Last week, I deleted an album and re-downloaded it, and I was able to play it. So I spent the better part of the day deleting and re-downloading every album I own. I was then able to listen to ONE album without interruption, and now get the same error again on all of them (including the one that worked the first time).

Anybody seen this? Makes no sense to me, but will definitely discourage me from buying anything from Qobuz in the future if this is the way its going to be.

Jan 14, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #1,927 of 2,156
Wonder if anyone else has run into this before.

About a month ago, the android app started giving me "The right-holders have not made this content available to listen" on tracks/albums that I have purchased and downloaded. Stuff that I do NOT own (such as playlists built from the Weekly Q) play just fine. It's only the music that I've actually paid for. Clearly neither the record companies nor Qobuz has the authority to prevent me from listening to DRM-free Flac files that I've legally purchased and have stored locally on my device.

Last week, I deleted an album and re-downloaded it, and I was able to play it. So I spent the better part of the day deleting and re-downloading every album I own. I was then able to listen to ONE album without interruption, and now get the same error again on all of them (including the one that worked the first time).

Anybody seen this? Makes no sense to me, but will definitely discourage me from buying anything from Qobuz in the future if this is the way its going to be.
Two questions: With which application do you play the purchased records? Is it possible to play such records on other devices and/or other applications?

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #1,928 of 2,156
Two questions: With which application do you play the purchased records? Is it possible to play such records on other devices and/or other applications?
This is within the Qobuz app for Android. The copies that I’ve downloaded onto my Roon server obviously play fine from there, either at home or on the same Android device via ARC.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,929 of 2,156
This is within the Qobuz app for Android. The copies that I’ve downloaded onto my Roon server obviously play fine from there, either at home or on the same Android device via ARC.
Qobuz app works differently and it requires you to login to authenticate in say 15 days or something to work in offline mode. When you buy a song you can keep it in your DAP or Laptop and you can play via any player and you don't need to go to Qobuz app. Qobuz app has nothing to do with the songs you buy.
It is similar to Netflix, download a movie today and play it in offline mode after a month and it won't work.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #1,930 of 2,156
Also when you download and haven't used the app for long time then all it will ask you is to reauthenticate and will play songs not sure why it deleted those files in your case.
May be you have setting in mobile to delete unused files to manage space.
I downloaded few albums in 2019 and is still in my mobile.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #1,931 of 2,156
I have both a Qobuz subscription and albums purchased on this platform, and I can play them without problems (in streaming mode) from the Qobuz application. Do you have a Qobuz subscription?
As @kumar402 says, Qobuz app is for streaming, not for playing the user’s local files.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,932 of 2,156
Qobuz app works differently and it requires you to login to authenticate in say 15 days or something to work in offline mode. When you buy a song you can keep it in your DAP or Laptop and you can play via any player and you don't need to go to Qobuz app. Qobuz app has nothing to do with the songs you buy.
It is similar to Netflix, download a movie today and play it in offline mode after a month and it won't work.

This is online. Can go back and forth between streaming and playing locally downloaded files. Immediately after being unable to play an album purchased from Qobuz and downloaded inside the app, I created a playlist for "My Daily Q", downloaded all of the tracks, and it played fine. As do tracks downloaded from a similar playlist I created a month ago. Only music I purchased from Qobuz is impacted.

Also when you download and haven't used the app for long time then all it will ask you is to reauthenticate and will play songs not sure why it deleted those files in your case.
May be you have setting in mobile to delete unused files to manage space.
I downloaded few albums in 2019 and is still in my mobile.

I deleted (from within Qobuz) the albums and re-downloaded them (from within Qobuz) on 1/10. I played the first one on 1/10 and finished it on 1/11. On 1/11, none of them (including the one that initially worked) will play. This does not seem like 15+ days to me. :) If I was not signed in, I would expect the "My Purchases" list to be blank, and downloads to not be permitted.

Files are still present in the Qobuz directory on the file system, they did not get deleted. The app knows where they are, but refuses to play them.

And again, this is new behavior. Many of these were originally downloaded using the app in 2021, and worked fine up until about a month ago, either online or offline.

I have both a Qobuz subscription and albums purchased on this platform, and I can play them without problems (in streaming mode) from the Qobuz application. Do you have a Qobuz subscription?
As @kumar402 says, Qobuz app is for streaming, not for playing the user’s local files.

Yes, I have a family Studio Sublime subscription, and this app is signed in with the "primary account". And again, these are not random files I just placed on the device. They're albums I purchased from Qobuz, and downloaded using the "My Purchases" portion of the Qobuz app, into a folder of its choosing. Thus the "Hi-Res" bubbles are filled in, because the app knows it downloaded them locally.

I don't believe it's a reasonable statement that it is an inappropriate use of the Qobuz app to download and play back purchased music from one's own Qobuz library. Random stuff I ripped myself and copied over USB? Absolutely. Content for which I paid both a subscription and purchase to Qobuz to acquire, and then downloaded from their servers using the functionality built into their app? Nonsense.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #1,933 of 2,156
I'm thinking that perhaps when you purchase an album from Qobuz, this then exists outside of the Qobuz app, in the same way as albums you purchase elsewhere? Qobuz isn't a generic music player app in the same way as, for example, UAPP or Neutron, so it won't play in Qobuz?

Jan 14, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #1,934 of 2,156
This is online. Can go back and forth between streaming and playing locally downloaded files. Immediately after being unable to play an album purchased from Qobuz and downloaded inside the app, I created a playlist for "My Daily Q", downloaded all of the tracks, and it played fine. As do tracks downloaded from a similar playlist I created a month ago. Only music I purchased from Qobuz is impacted.

I deleted (from within Qobuz) the albums and re-downloaded them (from within Qobuz) on 1/10. I played the first one on 1/10 and finished it on 1/11. On 1/11, none of them (including the one that initially worked) will play. This does not seem like 15+ days to me. :) If I was not signed in, I would expect the "My Purchases" list to be blank, and downloads to not be permitted.

Files are still present in the Qobuz directory on the file system, they did not get deleted. The app knows where they are, but refuses to play them.

And again, this is new behavior. Many of these were originally downloaded using the app in 2021, and worked fine up until about a month ago, either online or offline.

Yes, I have a family Studio Sublime subscription, and this app is signed in with the "primary account". And again, these are not random files I just placed on the device. They're albums I purchased from Qobuz, and downloaded using the "My Purchases" portion of the Qobuz app, into a folder of its choosing. Thus the "Hi-Res" bubbles are filled in, because the app knows it downloaded them locally.

I don't believe it's a reasonable statement that it is an inappropriate use of the Qobuz app to download and play back purchased music from one's own Qobuz library. Random stuff I ripped myself and copied over USB? Absolutely. Content for which I paid both a subscription and purchase to Qobuz to acquire, and then downloaded from their servers using the functionality built into their app? Nonsense.
I suggest that you post on this thread, which is followed by staff from Qobuz:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #1,935 of 2,156
Content for which I paid both a subscription and purchase to Qobuz to acquire, and then downloaded from their servers using the functionality built into their app? Nonsense.
You're absolutely right, I hadn't noticed that the Qobuz app allows you to replay purchased items, so it should work. As a workaround, you can access the search section, select the purchased album and stream it. You can also contact customer service to open an incident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back