Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Nov 5, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,651 of 2,153
just tired of everything going subscription, and adding unnecessary character flair like umlauts personally bothers mè.
No Häagen-Dazs for you!

Reuben Mattus invented the phrase "Häagen-Dazs" in a quest for a brand name that he claimed was Danish-sounding; however, the company's pronunciation of the name ignores the letters "ä" and "z"; letters like "ä" or digraphs like "zs" do not exist in Danish, but the similar words "hagen" and "das(s)" that also correspond to the company's pronunciation of its name mean "hedges" and "tie", respectively, in Scandinavian languages, with "das(s)" being "the" or "that" in German. According to Mattus, it was a tribute to Denmark's exemplary treatment of its Jews during the Second World War,[5] and included an outline map of Denmark on early labels. Mattus felt that Denmark was also known for its dairy products and had a positive image in the United States.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Häagen-Dazs)

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #1,652 of 2,153
Audirvana was just a perpetual licensed software last time i checked. I guess they have this Studio subscription thing now and I thought through spam mails it was another company just trolling me, lol. They added a character to the "a" name so its now Audirvāna. Gross.

edit: just adding that I have no idea the sonic quality of the new release, just tired of everything going subscription, and adding unnecessary character flair like umlauts personally bothers mè.

Technically that's a macron not an umlaut, but either way seems very unnecessary, at least for English speakers. "Audio nirvana", we get it. Maybe the pronunciation is more confusing in French? The developer is French. (On the other hand, Americans often say "Zendaya" wrong the other way round, lol...)

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,654 of 2,153
I just noticed that Qobuz has lost the rights to stream albums from Exton label. This is a Japanese label that specializes in classical music, typically large scale symphonies.

Was this announced or reported somewhere, or did you just notice it due to tracks / albums you had favorited? If it's the latter, maybe use the Customer Service link from the app to submit a ticket / email asking what happened.

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,655 of 2,153
I just noticed that Qobuz has lost the rights to stream albums from Exton label. This is a Japanese label that specializes in classical music, typically large scale symphonies.
That's unfortunate. Exton has some excellent and well engineered albums, and I see that those I've favorited are now gone.

Also checking Spotify and Tidal, it looks like Exton has been removed from all of the streaming services. There is a handful of straggler albums (different on each service). It might be that they didn't fully clear their databases. Qobuz has 3 Exton albums remaining if you do a label search.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,656 of 2,153
That's unfortunate. Exton has some excellent and well engineered albums, and I see that those I've favorited are now gone.

Also checking Spotify and Tidal, it looks like Exton has been removed from all of the streaming services. There is a handful of straggler albums (different on each service). It might be that they didn't fully clear their databases. Qobuz has 3 Exton albums remaining if you do a label search.
The world of intellectual property rights is complex and ever-changing, so, unfortunately, we will be seeing records appearing and disappearing from streaming platforms, as negotiations over the sharing among rights holders of the money paid by their customers is an ongoing and never-ending process.

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #1,657 of 2,153
Just ditched Apple Music in favour of Qobuz.
Even Apple Music has the better UI and search on the mobile app, there is no real lossless on desktop systems and no Roon integration.
On mobile i can use Qobuz with UAPP for a nicer UI and on my desktop i use it with Roon.
They changed the pricing for their plans, so it was really attractive now.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,658 of 2,153
Even Apple Music has the better UI and search on the mobile app, there is no real lossless on desktop systems and no Roon integration.
On mobile i can use Qobuz with UAPP for a nicer UI and on my desktop i use it with Roon.
And you're not contributing to the death of music. Nice.

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,659 of 2,153
+1

IMHO it's no brainer to go with Qobuz since it's the same price as Apple Music.

Like Amazon, Apple will never offer bit-perfect playback in its desktop app because they simply don't care.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,661 of 2,153
I like Qobuz, works better than it did 1,5 year ago at my gears.
But......Still not gapeless??
Listening live music for example, it gives small breaks between tracks.
Or is there something wrong in my settings?

I'm getting gapless on most albums (where it matters), but there are some, once in a while, that just don't seem to work.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,662 of 2,153
Thanks, Can you tell what albums don't? I'll give them a try.

I'm listening now to

Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Live at Royal Albert Hall 2013 - Remaster 2020)​

Fully gapped.
Also do a lot of opera albums and albums like Misplaced Childhood.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,663 of 2,153

I'm listening now to

Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Live at Royal Albert Hall 2013 - Remaster 2020)​

Fully gapped.

Can't think of any off of the top of my head, but I can tell you that the Pink Floyd and early Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) studio albums that have songs that are supposed to be gapless are working. Try one of those and see if gapless IS working on them.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #1,664 of 2,153

I'm listening now to

Fully gapped.
I just tried listened to the Genesis Revisited and I hear what you mean if I use the Qobuz desktop app for Windows. When I use the Qobuz app in my Squeezebox server, the songs are gapless. I just tried messing around with settings in the desktop app and could not resolve that issue. That is annoying, to say the least.

Nov 12, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,665 of 2,153
I’m experiencing the same issue with some classical records on Qobuz Windows app. The gaps are quite short ones but noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

• dgjl
Back