Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jun 11, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #91 of 2,156
first week of Quobuz's testing.
First in my MBP with HD650, listening to the tracks that I really know well, in every music genre that I like. Amorphis, Amon Amarth, Agnes Obel, Angus and Julian stone, Satriani etc etc.
So far,it's very good, I mean I have bought most of my album on quobuz, in hires when I could, but I have also Deezer for my car. so I had the chance to do some cross testing from all those.
Even in my car, the gap between Deezer and Quobuz is clear.
With my mbp, all going through Audirvana, flac vs flac hires, it's really great. I mean the gap is audible, but it's not a major gap.
needed to say, I'm going to buy Audirvana (test version actually), and I'll try Tidal.

Now waiting for the Mojo to arrive :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #92 of 2,156
Sound and Vision article published to the web today:

Qobuz: Coming to America

"Move over Tidal. Qobuz (pronounced “ko-buzz”) is coming to the States this fall, armed with a 2-million-track arsenal of hi-res music and a web portal that makes Tidal’s slick homepage seem confined. We checked in with AV industry veteran David Solomon, newly appointed Chief High-Res Evangelist for Qobuz, to learn more about the music service and its unusual name."
Read on: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-coming-america

Key takeaways:
• soft launch at CEDIA in September, full launch at RMAF in October
• 2 million Hi-Res tracks, and 40 million 16-bit/44-kHz full resolution tracks

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #93 of 2,156
Sound and Vision article published to the web today:

Qobuz: Coming to America

"Move over Tidal. Qobuz (pronounced “ko-buzz”) is coming to the States this fall, armed with a 2-million-track arsenal of hi-res music and a web portal that makes Tidal’s slick homepage seem confined. We checked in with AV industry veteran David Solomon, newly appointed Chief High-Res Evangelist for Qobuz, to learn more about the music service and its unusual name." Read on: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-coming-america

Key takeaways:
• soft launch at CEDIA in September, full launch at RMAF in October
• 2 million Hi-Res tracks, and 40 million 16-bit/44-kHz full resolution tracks

Hopefully Canada will be added at some point if the U.S. works out.

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #94 of 2,156
first week of Quobuz's testing.
First in my MBP with HD650, listening to the tracks that I really know well, in every music genre that I like. Amorphis, Amon Amarth, Agnes Obel, Angus and Julian stone, Satriani etc etc.
So far,it's very good, I mean I have bought most of my album on quobuz, in hires when I could, but I have also Deezer for my car. so I had the chance to do some cross testing from all those.
Even in my car, the gap between Deezer and Quobuz is clear.
With my mbp, all going through Audirvana, flac vs flac hires, it's really great. I mean the gap is audible, but it's not a major gap.
needed to say, I'm going to buy Audirvana (test version actually), and I'll try Tidal.

Now waiting for the Mojo to arrive :)
I have Mojo, let me know about your tests, as I am seriously considering moving to Qobuz.
Jazz catalogue has not discussion, but has any of you about how extensive is the catalogue on classic rock, 70's rock, peogressive rock and hard rock? If greater than Tidal it could be my last item to move.

Jun 30, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #95 of 2,156
I have Mojo, let me know about your tests, as I am seriously considering moving to Qobuz.
Jazz catalogue has not discussion, but has any of you about how extensive is the catalogue on classic rock, 70's rock, progressive rock and hard rock? If greater than Tidal it could be my last item to move.

Qobuz is known for jazz and classical, but I've seen complaints about their pop selection. The rock categories you mentioned are somewhere in-between I'm sure, though I'm always amazed at the unexpected unknowns I find on Qobuz mixed in with the big names. I subscribe to Qobuz UK and Tidal US, and would be happy to search for specific albums in each category. There may be slight differences in the licensed catalogs on Qobuz UK and Qobuz Spain (and of course large differences with the future Qobuz USA service).

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #96 of 2,156
I’m moving out from tidal for a number of reasons and I did some comparisons of deezer qobuz amazon music. I preferred the UI of deezer but my system prefers qobuz because it sounds the best.The problem is that the iOS app is full of bugs.
-In the offline albums section you can choose to display only the fully downloaded albums or all the albums (if you have downloaded only 1 song). if you choose to display only the fully downloaded albums it doesn’t do it and the app gets unresponsive or very slow until you change your preference.
-I choose to make available offline a playlist and every time I add songs to it, i have to make them offline too separately.
-Some albums are missing.
-The search is not “guessing” at all.

I’m starting to rethink about deezer cause I cannot change my mind for a year with the Sublime subscription.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #97 of 2,156
on my side I'm perfectly happy with the music choices...I mean, my favorites artits are there, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Insomnium, but also jazz, rock, etc etc... of course it's not as discovery sided as the other, but for the 16/44 flac streaming, I'm really super happy, and again, the sound QS with mojo and HD650 is really a gem.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #98 of 2,156
I agree. SQ is a gem and it is not discovery sided.
The music content is a personal thing.
I’ve searched for several artists, it does have them but with no albums underneath.

Compared to deezer it is discovery+friendlier UI+/-library against SQ

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #100 of 2,156
I’m moving out from tidal for a number of reasons and I did some comparisons of deezer qobuz amazon music. I preferred the UI of deezer but my system prefers qobuz because it sounds the best.The problem is that the iOS app is full of bugs.
-In the offline albums section you can choose to display only the fully downloaded albums or all the albums (if you have downloaded only 1 song). if you choose to display only the fully downloaded albums it doesn’t do it and the app gets unresponsive or very slow until you change your preference.
-I choose to make available offline a playlist and every time I add songs to it, i have to make them offline too separately.
-Some albums are missing.
-The search is not “guessing” at all.

I’m starting to rethink about deezer cause I cannot change my mind for a year with the Sublime subscription.

Similar situation here. I found quobuz sound quality a winner but the app kept quitting or freezing. Apparently improvements are on the way and most importantly according to the guys who were at the quobuz window at canjam , the top tier subscriptions that so far have only been yearly commitments will also be available on a monthly version too from September! That I think is very enticing
They were giving away a code for 3 months free for the cd quality one so for the time being I m using both tidal and quobuz and slowly easing into building my quobuz library from scratch.

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #101 of 2,156
@Fifth November I would hope by the time your Sublime year runs out they'll have fixed offline listening in the iOS app. I have not tried that feature in the Android app, but haven't seen complains about it. Sounds like you're enjoying everything else about the app and service.

I really like the UI of the official mobile and desktop apps, but I mostly stream Qobuz using UAPP for Android, and via the Qobuz LMS plug-in to various Squeezebox-savvy apps and devices at home including an ultraRendu. The Hi-Res streaming sounds great!

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #102 of 2,156
@Left Channel I did enjoy it today that it didn’t crash more than twice.
But the library is, to me, limited... :frowning2:

7D5889DD-A5B2-42B2-A2EC-004C70D89433.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #103 of 2,156
@Left Channel I did enjoy it today that it didn’t crash more than twice.
But the library is, to me, limited... :frowning2:

<image>

Wow. They need to fix that app. And yes, as you know they are better at jazz and classical. It will be interesting to see what they have obtained licensing for here in the USA, but my EU account is indeed lacking some rock and pop.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #104 of 2,156
Did not know that this feature existed.
The problem is that the iOS app is full of bugs.

Tried it and my whole qobuz froze on my iPad pro and now the app isn’t responsive at all. So several restarts later, even of the whole iPad, it still doesn’t work properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back