Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Aug 10, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #841 of 2,153
When I got access to the beta in January, I took it seriously and submitted a detailed bug report, including this issue. Their response: "We are aware of these issues and you should expect ongoing improvements and upgrades in these and many other areas."
Maybe next year, then? I unsubscribed again, for now. I have way too much fun with Spotify (to a huge degree because I can control it from several devices) at 40% of the cost to keep bothering. Based on what I have seen, I don't think Qobuz has the kind of talent it takes to make great apps (which also requires a strong backend). And that's ultimately a leadership issue, I think.
I wish them good luck... they need it.

Understood. We'll let you know if things improve. I'm in the Windows app and just listened to two albums, then started a playlist. It's skipping on the first few seconds of every track of the playlist. Switching to Squeezelite-X... (Edit: this is all on my i7 laptop. I see these problems all the time on my fanless Celeron streamer, but realistically since Tidal works on that Celeron but doesn't officially support anything lower than a Pentium 4 then Qobuz needn't worry too much about that PC, however when I see the same things on an i7 that's bad.)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #842 of 2,153
When I got access to the beta in January, I took it seriously and submitted a detailed bug report, including this issue. Their response: "We are aware of these issues and you should expect ongoing improvements and upgrades in these and many other areas."
Maybe next year, then? I unsubscribed again, for now. I have way too much fun with Spotify (to a huge degree because I can control it from several devices) at 40% of the cost to keep bothering. Based on what I have seen, I don't think Qobuz has the kind of talent it takes to make great apps (which also requires a strong backend). And that's ultimately a leadership issue, I think.
I wish them good luck... they need it.

That is close to my sentiment. I keep hoping against hope for a sign that they are making progress. My hopes continue to diminish. I should should not have tried to buy downloads, a truly abysmal experience.

They do need to invest in training for folks, and I have in mind particularly their social media folks (though that's not the only area). On FB this week they have been touting big savings 'buy more, bigger savings'. One customer pointed out that 10% across the board was still 10% no matter how much one bought. No, the person insisted that's not true, and then went on to explain (I paraphrase) that this was too complex for their customers to understand........ :)

Is anyone else here in the Qobuz FB group/page?

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #843 of 2,153
That is close to my sentiment. I keep hoping against hope for a sign that they are making progress. My hopes continue to diminish. I should should not have tried to buy downloads, a truly abysmal experience.

They do need to invest in training for folks, and I have in mind particularly their social media folks (though that's not the only area). On FB this week they have been touting big savings 'buy more, bigger savings'. One customer pointed out that 10% across the board was still 10% no matter how much one bought. No, the person insisted that's not true, and then went on to explain (I paraphrase) that this was too complex for their customers to understand........ :)

Is anyone else here in the Qobuz FB group/page?

Yes, I've "liked" that page though I seldom see their posts. Here's that conversation: https://www.facebook.com/qobuzUSA... I think the main problem was the staffer's choice of words. This is a voucher issued on top of the discount, with a tiered increase that equals 10% only at the lower end of each tier. https://www.qobuz.com/us... I seldom buy downloads anyway, and neither the vouchers nor all that breathless marketeering will convince me to buy more.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #844 of 2,153
Yes, I've "liked" that page though I seldom see their posts. Here's that conversation: https://www.facebook.com/qobuzUSA... I think the main problem was the staffer's choice of words. This is a voucher issued on top of the discount, with a tiered increase that equals 10% only at the lower end of each tier. https://www.qobuz.com/us... I seldom buy downloads anyway, and neither the vouchers nor all that breathless marketeering will convince me to buy more.
Different people have different approaches. Personally I stream music to see if I like it and if I do after two or three hearings then I buy it and so appreciate the various discounts especially on high resolution albums on Qobuz Sublime.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #845 of 2,153
Different people have different approaches. Personally I stream music to see if I like it and if I do after two or three hearings then I buy it and so appreciate the various discounts especially on high resolution albums on Qobuz Sublime.

That is my approach too. One of my gripes with the store is that it adds my purchases as regular hifi purchases even though I'm signed in and have a sublime subscription. It "knows" that and yet I still have to go through and select the discounted price on each purchase. Grrrr. I also need to check, as the store seems to default to ALAC and I have to think on and change it, as I can't find a place to set my preferred format for download. Grump, grump!

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #846 of 2,153
That is my approach too. One of my gripes with the store is that it adds my purchases as regular hifi purchases even though I'm signed in and have a sublime subscription. It "knows" that and yet I still have to go through and select the discounted price on each purchase. Grrrr. I also need to check, as the store seems to default to ALAC and I have to think on and change it, as I can't find a place to set my preferred format for download. Grump, grump!
Have you set your downloading preferences in your profile under"my Qobuz'"

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #847 of 2,153
Have you set your downloading preferences in your profile under"my Qobuz'"

I'm not seeing anything that allows me to do that. Are you referring to the app or the web?

I see that I can choose hires bit rate and sample rate, in the app, but not file format. On the web account, I can't see anywhere to set anything related to downloads at all.

Cheers

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #848 of 2,153
I'm not seeing anything that allows me to do that. Are you referring to the app or the web?

I see that I can choose hires bit rate and sample rate, in the app, but not file format. On the web account, I can't see anywhere to set anything related to downloads at all.

Cheers

That looks right. In the app you can set your bit rate preference etc. You cannot set the file format. You need to choose the format when purchasing music.
Why not ask their customer support? There is a link on their help page.

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #850 of 2,153
Folks. I am very confused about something. I signed up for the top tier of Qobuz and love it. I enjoy streaming all sorts of hi res recordings and save them to my favorites. There I can retrieve them and listen to my heart's content. Will I have to start paying for these streams at some point? If not, why purchase any of them instead of just retrieving from the favorites list and playing them when i want to hear them?

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #851 of 2,153
Folks. I am very confused about something. I signed up for the top tier of Qobuz and love it. I enjoy streaming all sorts of hi res recordings and save them to my favorites. There I can retrieve them and listen to my heart's content. Will I have to start paying for these streams at some point? If not, why purchase any of them instead of just retrieving from the favorites list and playing them when i want to hear them?

I'm still trialing it and haven't really checked this aspect, but I don't think stuff you download the way you are describing is saved to some format you can actually play with something else (unless you actually buy it, in that case you get the usual FLAC/MP3/...). As soon as your subscription ends, you're supposed to not be able to play that stuff anymore.
If it worked the way you suppose, all these streaming service would have gone bankrupt years ago. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #852 of 2,153
I use Audirvana as a player. I then check the little heart next to albums on Tidal or Qobuz that I like. These are saved as links on a favorites playlist (not downloaded) on Audirvana. I can then go back to them, and as long as I keep paying my subscription fee (I signed up for a year) I can access the music. I have KEF LS 50 Wireless speakers hooked up to my Imac via a USB connection. The sound is superb. So it looks like, as long as I don't want to permanently archive the music by downloading files, I'll be a happy camper. I do hope Qobuz stays in business. For me it has been a truly amazing experience. I can see the avantage of actually downloading the files. For example, my internet service fees may go up with all the high resolution streaming I am doing. And this would not happen if I downloaded the files and played them offline. We'll just have to see. But so far it's been great.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #853 of 2,153
One thing to consider is that just because a file is available now for streaming doesn't mean that will always be the case. It's no fun when you want to play a favorite piece of music and find that it's gone "unavailable".

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #855 of 2,153
Hi Qobuz users!!! Thanks for the very helpful comments on this thread. I just subscribed into Qobuz Studio and downloaded it into my Mac (iPhone pending). I hope to contribute to this thread too.

So far quite happy with Qobuz. I like the clean interphase, which is quite different from Spotify and Tidal (Tidal is a Spotify copycat). I've so far found all the albums I looked for (mostly classical music), so I can't complain about the library. Cannot really comment about music quality yet, but so far nothing to complain about.

I'm a longtime Spotify user, and although I'm not a big fan I have to admit that it just works. Only annoying thing is when the iPhone app resets and I have to download all the albums again.

I subscribed to Tidal premium three months ago but I'm about to give up because of (1) the bugs and interruptions to streaming, and (2) the continual push for artists I absolutely don't care about.

As the things stand now, I'm hoping to adapt well to Qobuz my go-to alternative, and keep Spotify premium as a back-up.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back