Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jan 23, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #317 of 2,156
I am glad to see the accounts going through for some of you! I hope wdh777 gets his email shortly.

I was able to sign up and did not lose my 2000+ albums.

I purchased my first hi res download today ,and will, from time to time over the next 12 months. It went smoothly. The discount is excellent.

I am a fan.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #319 of 2,156
I did not have to do a survey. I think they're just letting in batches of us now, with no screening. When did you sign up?

My Timeline:

January 4th: Received 'Private Invite', after signing up on their website. That invite included a link to a survey, which asked about other streaming services I used, whether I download Hi-Res music, etc.

January 10th: Waitlist Notification - I missed the first cut!
January 17th: Welcome to Qobuz US!

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #320 of 2,156
My Timeline:

January 4th: Received 'Private Invite', after signing up on their website. That invite included a link to a survey, which asked about other streaming services I used, whether I download Hi-Res music, etc.

Same for me, except January 23rd instead of 17th.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #321 of 2,156

My timeline duplicates the above except for todays official invite. Registration and signup is painless and Roon integration is seamless. Just need time now to explore and evaluate

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #322 of 2,156
so far very impressed with Qobuz. I like being able to pick my genres they offer, unlike tidal which keeps suggesting rap and hip-hop, neither of which i listen to at all. Also Qobuz is a “rich” experience with the ability to learn a bit if desired along the way.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #325 of 2,156
I've read anecdotally that the awful digital watermarking of Universal content (and maybe Sony, et al, not sure) is less prevalent with Qobuz.
I had a 2 month preview subscription to Qobuz that just ended (from a trial code given out at an audio show). I can confirm that on a number of albums where the watermarking is very obvious on Tidal and Spotify, I didn't hear the watermark on Qobuz. This alone makes it worthwhile for me to switch from Tidal (waiting now for a signup invitation). There were things I really liked about Qobuz, although their software is more buggy than the others.

I am currently trying Deezer HiFi (CD quality lossless) on a 30 day free trial. There are too many annoying or missing things in the software, and I won't be subscribing. However, I noticed something interesting with respect to watermarking. I found a number of albums where Deezer had two versions of the same album, with slightly different release dates. One version would have watermarking but the other isn't watermarked.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #326 of 2,156
The beta invitation warns that "the music catalog is not 100% complete yet" and that we needn't bring missing albums to their attention. Some of the albums in my UK "Favourites" are missing, but I do expect to see most included in any final country launch. However to examine their progress I tried to think of a specifically American artist to search for, and came up with... Bruce Cockburn, a Canadian. Sorry, eh?

I had been surprised a while back to find only five of Cockburn's albums on the UK service, including a single he did with the Barenaked Ladies. Well, the US beta offers nine albums including those five, plus in one of the views it lists his first big hit album Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws, though only as grayed-out 30-second samples.

I assume that shows their intent to work on obtaining a license for Dancing, and hopefully others so they can pull even with Tidal — which offers over 40 of his releases. Also, "Favourites" are still "Favourites" and "16-bit / 44,1 - stéréo" hasn't been localized yet either, even with "English (US)" selected. But this is still a beta.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #327 of 2,156
Just joined the beta yesterday after getting the invite. Unfortunately, Qobuz seems to be very light on several of the genres I listen to, particularly modern prog (The Aristocrats, Scale the Summit...). I see the artists listed in the search, but no content is available. Hopefully that changes as the licensing is sorted out. If not, I will probably have to look at other services.

If anyone with a UK account could let me know if the artists I mentioned are available there, I would appreciate it. That would confirm that it's just a wait on licensing and not a content issue for me.

Technically, everything is working well.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #328 of 2,156
Just joined the beta yesterday after getting the invite. Unfortunately, Qobuz seems to be very light on several of the genres I listen to, particularly modern prog (The Aristocrats, Scale the Summit...). I see the artists listed in the search, but no content is available. Hopefully that changes as the licensing is sorted out. If not, I will probably have to look at other services.

If anyone with a UK account could let me know if the artists I mentioned are available there, I would appreciate it. That would confirm that it's just a wait on licensing and not a content issue for me.

Technically, everything is working well.
with a German account, I've found 4, 3, and 2 albums respectively. certainly have high hopes for Qobuz US, waiting patiently

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #329 of 2,156
with a German account, I've found 4, 3, and 2 albums respectively. certainly have high hopes for Qobuz US, waiting patiently

Thanks! I hate to ask, but can you check to see if the CDs from The Aristocrats are from the band with Guthrie Govan, Bryan Bellar, and Marco Minnemannn. There are other bands with that name, and other band's content does show up in the US.

The Aristocrats albums I hope to see are:

The Aristocrats (2011)
Culture Clash (2013)
Tres Caballeros (2015)

Again, I appreciate it and apologize for not being more specific in the first request.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #330 of 2,156
Thanks! I hate to ask, but can you check to see if the CDs from The Aristocrats are from the band with Guthrie Govan, Bryan Bellar, and Marco Minnemannn. There are other bands with that name, and other band's content does show up in the US.

The Aristocrats albums I hope to see are:

The Aristocrats (2011)
Culture Clash (2013)
Tres Caballeros (2015)

Again, I appreciate it and apologize for not being more specific in the first request.
good catch; it appears I've found one of the others. a search for Guthrie Govan returns some Steven Wilson albums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back