Qobuz Hi Res?
Jan 6, 2022 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Claypole

100+ Head-Fier
I currently subscribe to Tidal, but have been curious about Qobuz, so have just started a free month's trial just to see how it is.

I opened the app on my Oppo Find X3 Lite, and noticed that the music playing was showing as being in Hi Res, ie: 96khz or 192khz. The DAC on my phone is built into the main chipset, and as far as I know doesn't support Hi Res playback.

I then tried the app on my ancient Samsung tablet, and still got the Hi Res indicator on playing songs. I came to the conclusion that the app is probably processing the tracks at 24/192, but then either Android or the DAC will down sample this to 16/44.

My Fiio M6 is a certified Hi Res product, (t's got the sticker!), and just like the other devices, I get the same Hi Res indicator.

Now, I don't believe I'm going to notice the difference between CD quality and Hi Res, certainly not during casual listening, and that's not an issue. However, it would be at least nice to know what I'm actually listening to, ie: what my DAC is working at.

If the phone and tablet aren't working at hi res, then how can I be sure the M6 is? Having these doubts has denied me any placebo benefits I might otherwise enjoy.

Seriously though, is the information on the app just telling me the quality of the file, and this may be different to what my device is capable of playing?

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 2
My guess is that the app is telling you what it's putting out -- not about any post-processing in your phone or tablet. But you should try Qobuz support; I've asked about other stuff and gotten actual human replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back