qJays impressions
Jan 19, 2008 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
Just bought some qJays....

After trying e4cs and sf5ps, i think i finally found an iem i can be happy with!

Sound:
Bass- deep...(i'm listening to some massive attack right now) and these definitely can go deep. The bass isnt huge or anything, but if there's bass notes in the song, you can hear them. This is a definite +++

Mids- maybe just a tad recessed, but the mids sound great! Not congested or anything and they have a pretty natural sound.

Highs- Awesome! they seem to extend nicely, are not sibilant to my ears, and provide nice detail. High hats sound great!

Overall i would say they sound very balanced. They have bass(which was my complaint with the shures, which would bottom out too easily) and they still sound natural (my complaint with the sf5ps). The whole spectrum sounds solid.

The one downside to their sound is that they dont sound too great at super low volumes. You don't need to crank them or anything, but i

Also, if you didn't already know these things are freaking TINY.

As for the design, you cant really wear them over the ear like shures or the sf5ps with the reversal mod. On the other hand, if you clip them to your shirt the microphonics aren't that bad. Also, the cable is a funny length. It seems to be designed for a shirt pocket, and the extender makes the cable a bit longer than i'd like.

Overall, i think these are keepers! They definitely should get more consideration around here in their price range...

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 4
I've read that some people say the q-jays completely miss out the passages of songs that are bass heavy, true or not?

Did you have to switch left and right sides when wearing over the ear because of the way the q-jays are a little curved??

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 4
if you want to wear them over your ear, you do have to flip sides.

As for the bass, i havent found anything MISSING. They stretch deep, but there just isnt overwhelming presence. I have found myself occasionally listening for the bass in certain sections, yet i always find it.

the best way i can describe the bass is that it doesnt bottom out. It does roll off, but not in the sense that you miss out on passages. I'm sure that with a little eq they could thump pretty well as they can go deep. Too say that they completely miss out seems like an exaggeration to me. Like i said, these arent the sf5ps which are centered on bass, or the shures which focus on the mids or the etys which give you the highs, these seem to give a fair representation of the whole spectrum.

If you are looking for basshead type phones, i would never recommend these, as the bass can get buried at times, but like i said, if you listen for it, it's there (which is fine for me, as the bass is of high quality, just not quantity).

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 4
yes i would say there is a big difference between bottoming out and rolling off. rolling off is the sound simply getting quieter but bottoming out is when the bass drops and simply dissappears at low frequencies. are you saying the q-jays roll but still respond?? i have not heard them personally but theres lots of reports that the bass rolls out, but if it dont bottom out thats a plus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back