QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #2,207 of 2,715
Cross posting from the Flinkenick thread :)

Some initial impressions of Anole V14. All listening so far is with switches off.

Firstly, the bass. Wow… This has some very impressive bass. Right up there with the best BA bass I’ve heard and sounds a lot better than how I remember VX’s bass sounding. V14’s bass has plenty of texture and realistic decay like a DD. Transient speed is excellent. This is a bass response that I find very satisfying. I can’t detect any bloating or bleed into the mids. Sub bass extension is excellent. Mid bass has great slam. Overall, v14’s bass gets a BIG tick of approval from me.

Moving up to the mids, I am hearing a fairly balanced midrange that seems to present a little further back in the mix compared to VX from what I remember. I don’t think it sounds overly recessed, but I guess VX just sounded more forward by comparison IIRC. Vocal timbre on V14 sounds quite natural. I remember not really liking female vocals on VX. I used to find them rather unnatural. V14 by comparison sound a lot better in that regard. I think the mids are good overall, but nothing special either. We’ll see if that impression changes over time but I doubt it will.

Treble definitely sounds different to VX imo. There’s a smoothness to V14’s treble that I personally am enjoying thoroughly. VX’s treble had a lot of energy and zing, and I can see how some might prefer that. However I used to find VX’s treble quite fatiguing. V14 is much easier on my ears. There’s plenty of air and sparkle but it’s not quite as airy as some others I’ve heard.

In terms of technicalities, it sounds like detail retrieval is still the stand out feature, just like VX. I remember when I first heard VX and feeling almost overwhelmed with the amount of sheer micro-detail that was coming through. I don’t really get that feeling with V14, but I’ve heard a lot more IEM’s since I had VX, many of which rival VX’s detail retrieval so perhaps my ears are simply better accustomed to high levels of detail.

With the mids being a bit further back in the mix, it does sound like V14 has a broader stage compared to VX. V14’s stage still sounds fairly average compared to other TOTL stuff, but it doesn’t sound congested or anything like that. However, if you’re looking for an IEM with a huge stage, then I’d say look elsewhere.

Overall, I am impressed with V14, especially its bass. I feel like it’s an improvement over VX however I’d need to hear them side by side to confirm that, as it has been a while.

I’ll get to know v14 a bit better over the coming weeks and see how it fares against some other stuff I’ve got, and also how it pairs up with other sources. All my listening so far has been with L&P W2 :)

Big thanks to Andrew from @MusicTeck for the incredible service once again!

1775C998-CF09-4970-9986-EAF075187346.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #2,208 of 2,715
Cross posting from the Flinkenick thread :)

Some initial impressions of Anole V14. All listening so far is with switches off.

Firstly, the bass. Wow… This has some very impressive bass. Right up there with the best BA bass I’ve heard and sounds a lot better than how I remember VX’s bass sounding. V14’s bass has plenty of texture and realistic decay like a DD. Transient speed is excellent. This is a bass response that I find very satisfying. I can’t detect any bloating or bleed into the mids. Sub bass extension is excellent. Mid bass has great slam. Overall, v14’s bass gets a BIG tick of approval from me.

Moving up to the mids, I am hearing a fairly balanced midrange that seems to present a little further back in the mix compared to VX from what I remember. I don’t think it sounds overly recessed, but I guess VX just sounded more forward by comparison IIRC. Vocal timbre on V14 sounds quite natural. I remember not really liking female vocals on VX. I used to find them rather unnatural. V14 by comparison sound a lot better in that regard. I think the mids are good overall, but nothing special either. We’ll see if that impression changes over time but I doubt it will.

Treble definitely sounds different to VX imo. There’s a smoothness to V14’s treble that I personally am enjoying thoroughly. VX’s treble had a lot of energy and zing, and I can see how some might prefer that. However I used to find VX’s treble quite fatiguing. V14 is much easier on my ears. There’s plenty of air and sparkle but it’s not quite as airy as some others I’ve heard.

In terms of technicalities, it sounds like detail retrieval is still the stand out feature, just like VX. I remember when I first heard VX and feeling almost overwhelmed with the amount of sheer micro-detail that was coming through. I don’t really get that feeling with V14, but I’ve heard a lot more IEM’s since I had VX, many of which rival VX’s detail retrieval so perhaps my ears are simply better accustomed to high levels of detail.

With the mids being a bit further back in the mix, it does sound like V14 has a broader stage compared to VX. V14’s stage still sounds fairly average compared to other TOTL stuff, but it doesn’t sound congested or anything like that. However, if you’re looking for an IEM with a huge stage, then I’d say look elsewhere.

Overall, I am impressed with V14, especially its bass. I feel like it’s an improvement over VX however I’d need to hear them side by side to confirm that, as it has been a while.

I’ll get to know v14 a bit better over the coming weeks and see how it fares against some other stuff I’ve got, and also how it pairs up with other sources. All my listening so far has been with L&P W2 :)

1775C998-CF09-4970-9986-EAF075187346.jpeg
I can confirm all your first impressions, and stage will became bigger with use. You need also to try to chage cable, th stock one is not so good. (1950's much much better :)) polarity seems not reversed on V14.

I am looking also for a comparison with Traillii (I know the soundstage there is bigger)

Thanks

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #2,209 of 2,715
I can confirm all your first impressions, and stage will became bigger with use. You need also to try to chage cable, th stock one is not so good. (1950's much much better :)) polarity seems not reversed on V14.

I am looking also for a comparison with Traillii (I know the soundstage there is bigger)

Thanks
I don’t have a 1950s anymore (I believe I sold it to you 😄) but I’ll try some different cables and let you know

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #2,210 of 2,715
Yep you did! 😝

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #2,211 of 2,715
I don’t have a 1950s anymore (I believe I sold it to you 😄) but I’ll try some different cables and let you know

I’m using my Odin cable with my V14 and like the results. I’m sharing the cable that came with the Mason with the Odin, and I’ll probably buy another one at some point.

How are you liking the V14 or is it too soon to say?

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #2,212 of 2,715
I’m using my Odin cable with my V14 and like the results. I’m sharing the cable that came with the Mason with the Odin, and I’ll probably buy another one at some point.

How are you liking the V14 or is it too soon to say?
Are you having to plug them in backwards for the reverse polarity?

So far I am really enjoying V14 :) to my ears, it’s an improvement on VX as the treble is a lot smoother and the bass is incredible

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,213 of 2,715
Are you having to plug them in backwards for the reverse polarity?

So far I am really enjoying V14 :) to my ears, it’s an improvement on VX as the treble is a lot smoother and the bass is incredible

no, not reversing the cable. Another reported recently the V14 does to reverse the polarity as older models did.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #2,214 of 2,715
no, not reversing the cable. Another reported recently the V14 does to reverse the polarity as older models did.
Oh, that’s fantastic news! In that case, I will try some cable rolling :)

Do you have any issues using regular 0.78 2-pin cables with the V14 sockets in terms of sturdiness? Being extruded sockets, I do feel a little nervous that I’ll accidentally bend a pin

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #2,215 of 2,715
Oh, that’s fantastic news! In that case, I will try some cable rolling :)

Do you have any issues using regular 0.78 2-pin cables with the V14 sockets in terms of sturdiness? Being extruded sockets, I do feel a little nervous that I’ll accidentally bend a pin

Before I tried it, I was concerned about this as well which put me off from trying it. But I got brave and it worked fine, the cable pins fit nice and snug and the extra height from the raised socket is not that much at all. 👍

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #2,216 of 2,715
Before I tried it, I was concerned about this as well which put me off from trying it. But I got brave and it worked fine, the cable pins fit nice and snug and the extra height from the raised socket is not that much at all. 👍
Thank you 🙏🏽

I’ll hopefully get time to try out some cables today. Although I have to say, I do like the stock cable. It’s very soft and supple, looks nice, and the swappable plugs are super convenient. I’ll be happy to keep using it if I don’t hear any big improvements with an aftermarket cable :)

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #2,217 of 2,715
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #2,219 of 2,715
Is this the first time QDC offered its IEM in CM 2-pin form? I wonder if they offer this option if I decide to reshell my dmagic.

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #2,220 of 2,715
Is this the first time QDC offered its IEM in CM 2-pin form? I wonder if they offer this option if I decide to reshell my dmagic.
My pre-order come with the protrude 2-pin and just discover availability standard 2-pin after I received it. :see_no_evil:
(Not an official statement) from the store where I purchased said that is OEM from QDC, could be available upon request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back