QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #1,458 of 2,715
I think the Uranus arrived in my mailbox but won't be home til a bit later to check it out. Will try to post some squiggles later today.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #1,460 of 2,715

Heres crin graph comparison, so i say gemini has most upper mid and less lower. Its been a long time since i had my gemini and demo andro, so I can't really say for sure.

and yes most tip should work with gemini

I ended up taking the deal before I changed my mind. While I could immediately tell the signature was more in line with my preferences, I can't say that there is a significant improvement in resolution/details or soundstage over my Massdrop Plus. Do the Geminis have a lot to gain from a dedicated DAC/amp? I'm currently comparing both through an iPhone dongle lol

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #1,461 of 2,715
P1030887.JPG

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #1,463 of 2,715
try the IKKO OH-10 it u can

you might feel that it’s even better than Uranus and yet cheaper :D

I'm not really in the market to buy IEMs right now. I'm pretty happy with the VX I own, and I have a Viento-R being made for me right now. For budget & mid-tier IEMs, i'm pretty content with Galaxy Buds and WF-1000XM3.

On Uranus -- early impressions:

The Uranus sounds kind of mediocre if not bad for this price, given the competition in my early, early assessment. I did make an eq profile that cleans up the muddiness and overly bass/lower mid heavy sound. That big hump seems to really dominate the sound and make everything sound very lo-fi, and is not unlike a typical consumer sound signature (v-shaped), with not enough treble to balance it out.

EQing down the lower mids, and most of the bass cleans up the sound quite a bit though.

P1030884.JPG

My measurements for those curious. I use IEC711-style coupler - same exact coupler and mic that Crinacle uses.

qdc Uranus.png

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #1,464 of 2,715
I'm not really in the market to buy IEMs right now. I'm pretty happy with the VX I own, and I have a Viento-R being made for me right now. For budget & mid-tier IEMs, i'm pretty content with Galaxy Buds and WF-1000XM3.

On Uranus -- early impressions:

The Uranus sounds kind of mediocre if not bad for this price, given the competition in my early, early assessment. I did make an eq profile that cleans up the muddiness and overly bass/lower mid heavy sound. That big hump seems to really dominate the sound and make everything sound very lo-fi, and is not unlike a typical consumer sound signature (v-shaped), with not enough treble to balance it out.

EQing down the lower mids, and most of the bass cleans up the sound quite a bit though.

My measurements for those curious. I use IEC711-style coupler - same exact coupler and mic that Crinacle uses.

That graph is very close to what they publish in their website. At least the company does not "adjust" their graph
upload_2020-1-2_16-25-42.png

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #1,465 of 2,715
I just went to try some DAPs with my VX, and to my surprise, there is very noticeable hissing with the Plenue L.
Is it just that demo unit or can anyone confirm the same issue?
I hear no hissing on M11 Pro, M11 Pro SS, and PAW 6000 that I tried at the same time.
It would be a shame as I like PL's sound the best overall.

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,466 of 2,715
I just went to try some DAPs with my VX, and to my surprise, there is very noticeable hissing with the Plenue L.
Is it just that demo unit or can anyone confirm the same issue?
I hear no hissing on M11 Pro, M11 Pro SS, and PAW 6000 that I tried at the same time.
It would be a shame as I like PL's sound the best overall.

One thing I really liked about the VX was, it doesn't hiss very easily, unless the source has a high noise floor. Even on my Hugo 2, the hiss was almost indiscernible, that I had to listen closely in a silent room to hear it. It is not even close to hiss monsters like the Andromeda and Zeus.

Now here is what @twister6 wrote about the Plenue L in his review:
"Another thing that stands out with PL is its nearly pitch-black background with zero hissing even with sensitive IEMs like Andromeda and Solaris. Even from a high-power Balanced output, there was hardly any hissing when I’m idling the playback or dropping the volume down to zero during the playback."

Given these 2 data points, I am inclined to believe that the Plenue L unit you tried must have been defective.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #1,467 of 2,715
One thing I really liked about the VX was, it doesn't hiss very easily, unless the source has a high noise floor. Even on my Hugo 2, the hiss was almost indiscernible, that I had to listen closely in a silent room to hear it. It is not even close to hiss monsters like the Andromeda and Zeus.

Now here is what @twister6 wrote about the Plenue L in his review:
"Another thing that stands out with PL is its nearly pitch-black background with zero hissing even with sensitive IEMs like Andromeda and Solaris. Even from a high-power Balanced output, there was hardly any hissing when I’m idling the playback or dropping the volume down to zero during the playback."

Given these 2 data points, I am inclined to believe that the Plenue L unit you tried must have been defective.

I really hope that it was the case because I really liked the sound of it. Will go to another shop to try it again.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #1,469 of 2,715
Now this is a spectacular combo... wow

Image d’iOS (100).jpg

Cayin N8 brings a level of refinement to the Anole VX that is pretty impressive.... also the bass is quite better with an authoritative source for sure!

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #1,470 of 2,715
And now you understand why I have BB on the way. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back