QC25 failed - what now?
May 5, 2015 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nygaard

New Head-Fier
I have a problem... I am extremely sensitive to noise and need absolute silence (besides the music) to be able to concentrate on work.

I gave the QC25's a try and they didn't do the trick. Great comfort and build quality, acceptable sound quality, very impressive low-frequency NC - but it's not enough. Everything in the same range as voices and above is muffled but still too intrusive.

Now I'm looking for active NC IEM's with foam tips but there doesn't seem to be much to choose from?
So far every test I have read crowns the QC20 as the in-ear NC king (yet not as effective as the QC25) - which I don't buy, based on it's design. There HAS to be something more effective that combines ANC with optimal passive NC!

Any suggestions?

May 5, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 4
s
  Unless you really need ANC, you could just get a regular high-isolation IEM like Etymotic's offerings or go custom.

I'm afraid it's necessary... 

A pair of Etymotic's might be worth a shot if there simply isn't any good passive + active NC IEM's on the market.

What makes me a little concerned though is their design. I haven't tried Etymotic's - but from experience with earplugs (of similar design) I know that extensive use gets uncomfortable. Based on that I was looking at Shure's SE535 (which I expect to be more comfortable), but according to manufacturer data they are less effective than Etymotic's solution.

Regarding custom IEM's: I have considered it, but it seems quite time and effort consuming. There's no guarantee that it will be more effective than off-the-self noise isolators, can't just order online or buy them in a nearby shop, and then there's the price. I'm willing to spend around $500, but to my knowledge that doesn't get you very far in the world of custom IEM's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back