QC at Grado Labs back on track
Apr 18, 2007 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

snejk

500+ Head-Fier
Well, it's more of a question than a statement.

In view of the many (older) threads on problems with quality control at Grado Labs I was thinking that some of the comments on here and maybe from other customers might have reached the man himself (not God. Well, I guess that depends on how much of a fanboy you are...) and that they have done something about it since then.

As I'm REALLY close to go for a pair of RS-1's when I go to NYC next week I was wondering if any of you people that have purchased a new set of Grados recently, preferrably reference or statement series, have any thoughts on if Grado might have gotten the QC under control again?

Thankful for info of any sorts!

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 20
purchased a pair of SR60's a month ago, they had problems on the left sides of both the parts that connect the drivers to the bands, however I ordered by mail and couldn't see them beforehand

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 20
Why don't you buy used from some trusty head-fier up here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it's more of a question than a statement.

In view of the many (older) threads on problems with quality control at Grado Labs I was thinking that some of the comments on here and maybe from other customers might have reached the man himself (not God. Well, I guess that depends on how much of a fanboy you are...) and that they have done something about it since then.

As I'm REALLY close to go for a pair of RS-1's when I go to NYC next week I was wondering if any of you people that have purchased a new set of Grados recently, preferrably reference or statement series, have any thoughts on if Grado might have gotten the QC under control again?

Thankful for info of any sorts!

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 20
At least from now I'm able to post in the FS-forum
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to buying used and as for Grados I guess a s/h Grado in Europe wouldn't be that much cheaper than a new one in USA. I feel I need quite a big price drop from the price for a new to go for a used phone, and then I'm not competetive enough, compared to what others are willing to pay for used stuff. The only stuff I've bought used is stuff that I've been able to meet the seller in person (Naim Headline), or had a friend meet the seller for me (AKG K1000).

And I don't feel very comfortable buying used from overseas... as I said, I'm a coward. But then again headfi would be the place where I feel I could trust people enough to buy used... hmm...

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 20
You can buy from someone who lives in NY city or in the neighborhood. So you can go their and pick them up, meet some people and drink some beer
cool.gif

Quote:

At least from now I'm able to post in the FS-forum
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to buying used and as for Grados I guess a s/h Grado in Europe wouldn't be that much cheaper than a new one in USA. I feel I need quite a big price drop from the price for a new to go for a used phone, and then I'm not competetive enough, compared to what others are willing to pay for used stuff. The only stuff I've bought used is stuff that I've been able to meet the seller in person (Naim Headline), or had a friend meet the seller for me (AKG K1000).

And I don't feel very comfortable buying used from overseas... as I said, I'm a coward. But then again headfi would be the place where I feel I could trust people enough to buy used... hmm...

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy from someone who lives in NY city or in the neighborhood. So you can go their and pick them up, meet some people and drink some beer
cool.gif

That's a very good idea Blackmore. Anyone in NYC willing to part with their good condition rs-1?
biggrin.gif

(just have to convince my gf about how a good idea it is - and yes, it is not me on the avatar
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 20
I just got my GS1000 from the Labs, can't be more than a month old off the bench, tops.

Quality Control? Looks great to me! I even like the wood - not choco brown like early RS-1/RS-2s, but definitely matches the patina of the prototypes, and not stripey/spotty light like the "late friday" cans folks have reported on. Basically, I gave it a once over, totally satisfied, put em on my head, and now i'm groovin'
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 20
Just put it on sale forum WTB+all this info that you will travel to NYC and maybe you can arange something
cool.gif

Quote:

That's a very good idea Blackmore. Anyone in NYC willing to part with their good condition rs-1?
biggrin.gif

(just have to convince my gf about how a good idea it is - and yes, it is not me on the avatar
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I even like the wood - not choco brown like early RS-1/RS-2s, but definitely matches the patina of the prototypes, and not stripey/spotty light like the "late friday" cans folks have reported on.

Yes I don't mind the lighter wood. And I wouldn't bother that much about the spots either. It's the poor handicraft that I'm concerned about.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 20
I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy, but it was my understanding that these quality control issues were only present in the plastic Grados; I don't remember anyone starting a thread about problems with the wooden series.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy, but it was my understanding that these quality control issues were only present in the plastic Grados; I don't remember anyone starting a thread about problems with the wooden series.

There have *definitely* been problems with the wooden series. Misaligned mesh and buttons, bad wood finishing, etc. Do a couple searches and you'll find some stories about the RS series.

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 20
As beautiful as the wooden models can be, other than an occasional blotchy surface treatment, the best bet of total satisfaction seems to be with the aluminum housing models.

Mine are flawless, and I've also seen lots of photos of well excecuted SR-325s and MS2s in this forum and elsewhere as well.

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
purchased a pair of SR60's a month ago, they had problems on the left sides of both the parts that connect the drivers to the bands, however I ordered by mail and couldn't see them beforehand

Yes, the problem with the molding issue on the "fork" holes is still a problem. I had them on my recent new pair of 325i and I also saw them at an audio trade show last weekend on the RS2 and below. The infamous cable crimping near the Y connector was worse than I thought on the GS1000 and RS1 that I saw at the show. I had witten to Grado and provided a link of the problems that members here were seeing and expriencing, of course they never responded or aknowledged that the email was read as I used the "read request".
dsc00027py3.jpg

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 20
Anything made from wood is inherently unique. I suggest going to a store and inspecting the headphone and see if you're satisfied with it. Sound by Singer, Harvey's Audio and maybe In Living Stereo may have RS1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back