QA-350 Wav Player vs Clip+ as a lossless source
Sep 1, 2011 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Mellonhead3013

New Head-Fier
Hi all;

I've just joined, so, hello everyone and I have found this site very informative (and opinionated!) and have lurked here for some time.

I just got a QLS QA-350 for $120 on Ebay and would like to share my opinion on it's sound quality versus the Sansa Clip+, which is a common source, and pretty highly regarded for it's sound quality for a portable. I am using it (like I did the Clip) to feed K702 phones via a Graham Slee Novo as my office cubicle sound-system. The files are wav, converted from the Clip's flac files. Music is mostly pop, electronic and jazz with a bit of classical.

The first thing I noticed was that the QA-350 tightened up the K702's soundstage compared to the Clip. I didn't need to do an A/B compare, it was that obvious. Next, it seemed to give the sound a bit more bass, but after I played the same songs simultaneously some on both players and did an A/B comparison I have concluded that the QA-350 simply adds more punch to the dynamics right across the spectrum. I guess it's because the QA-350 has a lot more size and power to put more robust componentry inside the box. The better dynamics have really given a lot more 'bite' to the K702's characteristically 'polite' sound.

I'm very happy with the QA-350's sound. It's not really portable, despite being battery powered, and the interface is, to put it mildly, primative, but if you think of it more as a digital record-player than a DAP then it's a real bargain for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back