Q701's And Fiio X3?
Aug 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

matthiasfan

New Head-Fier
I am looking at purchasing my first "audiophile" headphones.

At this point, I use PortaPros and a pair of Klipsch S4's.  

I listen primarily to Christian hip-hop, but also enjoy classical music and soundtracks every now and then.

So the questions, which I have been trying to figure out on my own, but am now seeking the advice of the forums:

I want to have a setup that I can take on the go (I know people will argue about Q701's being portable, but I may want to use them at a hotel or something like that where I don't have access to my desktop).

1)  DAP - My thoughts are the Fiio x3, especially now that BHphotovideo is carrying them.  Has anyone paired this with the Q701?

2)  Amp - I would like a warmer sound, and this may not achieve it, but I am looking at the fiio e12 to pair with the x3.  

It would seem that I could use this setup for when I am at home as well (from what I read the x3 can act as a standalone dac, correct me if I am wrong).

3)  Any suggestions, or am I on the right track to having a good quality setup with the Q701's?

Thanks!

*Edit - Well, I found a thread that says that the x3 is not a standalone dac.  

So, get the Q701's, the e12, and the x3?  Or, use an e17 with my IPhone and dock it into a d09?  I don't have too many 24/96 or 24/192 recordings at this point, so I may go with the latter.  Thoughts?

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 12
Hmm, the q701 do require a decent amount of power to sound at it's best, which the x3 won't deliver. The amp section should be similar to that of the fiio e17. So I guess the x3 sound is probably slightly warmer than neutral. Else, the x3 should have EQ available.
You should consider the phillips x1, getting very positive reviews, and it is a lot easier to drive. Dunno how it fares with classical, though, since it has a pretty strong bass.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the recommendation.  Like anything in life, there are pros and cons to everything, so I know there is not a "perfect" set of headphones (at least not in my price range).

I saw that the Phillips had some good reviews, my main concern though is if I ever want to upgrade in the future, what kind of resell value would they have vs. something like a Q701 or HD600.  I was looking at the HD600's, but they are a bit out of my range as well.  That's why I went with the Q701's, as they received good reviews and, from what I read, even though the bass was "thin," it could be helped by a decent, warm amp.

If not the e17, can you recommend a good portable amp for the Q701?  I know that most of the amp recommendations are for desktops, but I was looking at the o2 as an alternative.  I know the o2 is very neutral (from what I have read), but it still seems like the best alternative for portability.  

All in all, the primary usage would be:

IPhone - 20%
Desktop - 80%

Thanks for the discussion.  I am trying to learn, and have gained a lot of knowledge concerning sound/headphones over the past few weeks of reading.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 12
E17 is hard to beat for it's current price of $105 if you want a DAC/headphone amp combo, unless you are willing to spend a good bit more.

I have the O2. Not very portable. Portable enough to carry with you to use with a laptop, but not portable enough to carry in one's pocket for use with an iPhone. Little big for that. For just a portable amp (no DAC) roughly in that same price range, I'd look at the JDS Labs C5 or the Fiio E12.

For cheaper, there is the C&C BH, which sounds very good for approx $100. Here's a discussion thread for it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 12
I got to try the Q701 and the X3 at last November's hi-fi show over here and it was a decent enough combo; for example, if you're using them at work,* or if you use them at home and are just saving up for a proper amp. Bass was enough - the bass drum's strong hits were audible nad it was reasonably controlled for double-pedal action for metal; the rest of the percussion was punchy enough and the midrange was smooth. Treble wasn't in any way overbearing, but better sources of course would open up the treble (better extension and detail) without getting annoying unless the material was badly recorded. Soundstage was too 2D, but I think a lot of people using (only) headphones can't tell the difference between a soundstage that is just plain huge and a soundstage that is already unnatural. Case in point - some Marantz CDPs are widely lauded here, but when I got to try two of the newer ones (and also a NAD, a long-time favorite of mine with speakers) gave me Dream Theater with John Petrucci canned in favor of Reed Richards. All other instruments were in relatively proper spots but the drums were going around my head, so if you would visualize that in a live performance, they are hanging the drums around the audience and in front of the other instruments and Mr. Fantastic stretches out his arms to hit them. And yet people end up getting wowed by this CDP.**

Of course, do not compare the X3's amplifier to the Burson Conductor, or the Soloist or the Meier Cantate.2 with a really good source, and note that the X3 is a single small battery-powered box.

*And for around $240 from Amazon, you might consider just locking the headphones in one of your desk drawers instead of hauling it home daily
**It sounds normal on speakers however, so that excludes those who use that CDP with these speakers

May 22, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 12
I am a bit perplexed by the answers here. With a simple calculation you can see that the peak SPL of the Q701 with the X3 is around 114.3 dB(probably less, approximating from the output power@32 ohm). This peak SPL should cover just about any music except for some uncompressed classical recordings with wide dynamic range. However if you have hearing damage and your preferred listening level is over 85 dB you might benefit from an amp with higher output power.

The damping factor(206.7) and output impedance of the Fiio X3(0.3 ohm) also shouldn't present any problems.

May 22, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 12
I've owned & sold on the Q701's. They're not a mobile option at all. No way. Too big, too uncomfortable & too difficult to drive. And they have very little resale value.

May 22, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 12
Hi,
     I own Q701 and X3/ e12. I don't know why people keep saying that  Q701 is hard to drive. I have the Q701 which was made in china(may be the Austrian model is harder to drive), and it can be easily driven by X3. And the sound is a bit warm, but considering that the Q701's brightness, it's fine. If you add e12, the sound gets better. the bass will get more defined and emphasised(slightly). with e12 the sound stage will get slightly wider and there's bass mode as well (it's really good if you want a bit more weight to the music). But honestly you don't need e12, you will not hear that much of a difference. So just get the X3....or you can get a Audioquest dragonfly to pair with your laptop(if you don't want to use in a bus) ,it will sound better.

May 22, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #11 of 12
  Hi,
     I own Q701 and X3/ e12. I don't know why people keep saying that  Q701 is hard to drive. I have the Q701 which was made in china(may be the Austrian model is harder to drive), and it can be easily driven by X3. And the sound is a bit warm, but considering that the Q701's brightness, it's fine. If you add e12, the sound gets better. the bass will get more defined and emphasised(slightly). with e12 the sound stage will get slightly wider and there's bass mode as well (it's really good if you want a bit more weight to the music). But honestly you don't need e12, you will not hear that much of a difference. So just get the X3....or you can get a Audioquest dragonfly to pair with your laptop(if you don't want to use in a bus) ,it will sound better.

Try your Q701 with a really powerful amp like a Lyr or an Ember & see just how much better they become. I think they sound relatively poor when they don't get enough juice. Having said that I still didn't keep them because of all the other issues they come with.

May 22, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 12

Try your Q701 with a really powerful amp like a Lyr or an Ember & see just how much better they become. I think they sound relatively poor when they don't get enough juice. Having said that I still didn't keep them because of all the other issues they come with.

Someday I will try (if I keep it). Ember seems to be interesting. Of course Q701 has zero portability. How can we even put it in a backpack??

I am looking at purchasing my first "audiophile" headphones.

At this point, I use PortaPros and a pair of Klipsch S4's.  

I listen primarily to Christian hip-hop, but also enjoy classical music and soundtracks every now and then.

So the questions, which I have been trying to figure out on my own, but am now seeking the advice of the forums:

I want to have a setup that I can take on the go (I know people will argue about Q701's being portable, but I may want to use them at a hotel or something like that where I don't have access to my desktop).

1)  DAP - My thoughts are the Fiio x3, especially now that BHphotovideo is carrying them.  Has anyone paired this with the Q701?

2)  Amp - I would like a warmer sound, and this may not achieve it, but I am looking at the fiio e12 to pair with the x3.  

It would seem that I could use this setup for when I am at home as well (from what I read the x3 can act as a standalone dac, correct me if I am wrong).

3)  Any suggestions, or am I on the right track to having a good quality setup with the Q701's?

Thanks!

*Edit - Well, I found a thread that says that the x3 is not a standalone dac.  

So, get the Q701's, the e12, and the x3?  Or, use an e17 with my IPhone and dock it into a d09?  I don't have too many 24/96 or 24/192 recordings at this point, so I may go with the latter.  Thoughts?

you should look at modded t50rp. It is said to be much warmer than Q701, and it has better portability. ZMF and Mrspeakers are reputed mods you can look at.....  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back