Q701 to "high end" what should I be looking at?
Mar 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kyle90

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to jump into the "high end" sector. My current setup is a Xonar STX dac to a Schitt Valhalla to Q701. I love the huge soundstange of the Q701 but would like increased detail without sacrificing the large soundstage. What are my best options below $1500 or so? Also, would my dac be a noticeable limiting factor in my setup with high end headphones? 

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 16
Also, how would the schitt valhalla work with the recommended headphones? What's my best upgrade path if I only want to spend around $1500 max for new headphones +amp if necessary? Thanks in advance for the feedback

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 16
You like the Q701 sound signature and big soundstage? You're looking to spend around $1500?

Seems like an easy recommendation for the HD800. I've had it (a couple times, heh) and it's incredible. No other headphone creates the wide and deep soundstage of the HD800. For some types of music it can be incredible. You can find it used in good condition here on head-fi for 1100 to 1300 fairly frequently.

It's a high impedance can so the Valhalla could work OK with it, even if it's not optimal. But you can always upgrade the Amp and DAC later on. The "core" characteristics of the HD800 sound will still come through with the gear you have now. It can just get better down the line.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 16
The Beyerdynamic T1 are close to Q701 in term of soundsignature but with much higher resolution and superior imaging, instruments separation and large soundstage (out of head). LCD-02 are pretty good sounding too with impactfull fuller bass, detailed rich mids and clear highs(not so extended) and realy big soundstage. Sennheiser HD800 are also great buy, with right AMPs it will sound amazing and it portray realy large soundstage.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 16
x3 on the HD800. Skylab said that the Valhalla works well with them in that pricerange too. And obviously, the HD800 will continue to improve as you upgrade with appropriate gear down the road.

-Daniel

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 16
I am at the exact same point.

I own a Q701, and a Xonar Essence ST Soundcard. No Schiit amp.

And I decided to buy the Hd 800, and i'll probably buy an essence one Dac/Amp combo.

But from what i've read and from my listening session with the hd800, if you like the Q701, you cannot go wrong with the hd800

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
I'm looking to jump into the "high end" sector. My current setup is a Xonar STX dac to a Schitt Valhalla to Q701. I love the huge soundstange of the Q701 but would like increased detail without sacrificing the large soundstage. What are my best options below $1500 or so? Also, would my dac be a noticeable limiting factor in my setup with high end headphones? 

As a relatively junior audiophile with an even more noob girlfriend who owns a Violectric V800/V100 stack and Q701's, I told her that I wouldn't need to sell her the HD800's and that she'd have decided on it within the first minute of listening before spending the next hour or so trying to convince herself she could live without it and fail.

A few hours later, she was $1500 poorer and I was right.

OP, the HD800 is without question the step up for you from the Q701's if you like that signature but want it better in all areas.

As a caveat, I would of course recommend auditioning them with your gear and some others too as they are known to be very picky with upstream devices.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 16
HD800.

As a slight counter to any recommendation that's NOT an HD800...I wouldn't recommend a T1 to anybody after finally hearing one.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
HD800.

As a slight counter to any recommendation that's NOT an HD800...I wouldn't recommend a T1 to anybody after finally hearing one.

+1.

Although the T1 isn't exactly that bad, it does not live up to it's pricetag from a sound point perspective. And I can't see how someone can say that the signature of the T1 is similar to the 701's...it's apples and bananas comparison..imo though so don't crack it at me.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 16
so much hate for such a good headphone. i guess the treble can be too much for some people though.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 16
If you have the chance to try one, and I mean any you may chose, go and try first. After many years in this hobby, I just stop recommend, but share my own expirience only, but thats, again, my own and not yours. There are so many choices you can make, within that budget, but just to go and buy USD 1300 headphones without even know how it will be doing in your present system, come on, are you joking me?
Dont forget, no matter how expensive the headphones may be, they all have good, but also, bad side, there is no perfect solution, you just learn to accept some things, or, find the right way to avoid/eliminate them, but thats what you have to learn yourself.

THX

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 16
the T1. i prefer them over hd 800 for most music and they're a very underrated flagship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back