Q701 question / help
Feb 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sierra419

Head-Fier
I'm purchasing a Q701 strictly for PC gaming (please don't try to talk me out of these cans because my mind is made up). I have a few questions because I'm pretty new to all of this.

1. I know I need a good amp (open to suggestions < $150), but do I need a good sound card and a DAC? My understanding is that a sound card is just an internal DAC.

2. Since this is just for PC gaming and not music, will I hear a difference if I run an optical from the integrated audio card on my mobo (Realtek ALC892 chipset), to the amp, then to my headphones? If there will be an audible quality loss there, then I would definitely get a DAC or quality sound card.

3. When I get the headphones, amp, and DAC (if I need one), do I just plug and play?  I know I have to go through EQ settings to get the most out of the headphones, but will they sound amazing like they're supposed to without messing with any settings after plugging them in for the first time? 

I'm nervous, since these are my first hifi cans, that I'm not going to set them up properly, they wont sound their best, and  I'll be disappointed to have spent so much money on something that doesn't sound any better than what I have.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
I'm purchasing a Q701 strictly for PC gaming (please don't try to talk me out of these cans because my mind is made up). I have a few questions because I'm pretty new to all of this.

1. I know I need a good amp (open to suggestions < $150), but do I need a good sound card and a DAC? My understanding is that a sound card is just an internal DAC.

2. Since this is just for PC gaming and not music, will I hear a difference if I run an optical from the integrated audio card on my mobo (Realtek ALC892 chipset), to the amp, then to my headphones? If there will be an audible quality loss there, then I would definitely get a DAC or quality sound card.

3. When I get the headphones, amp, and DAC (if I need one), do I just plug and play?  I know I have to go through EQ settings to get the most out of the headphones, but will they sound amazing like they're supposed to without messing with any settings after plugging them in for the first time? 

I'm nervous, since these are my first hifi cans, that I'm not going to set them up properly, they wont sound their best, and  I'll be disappointed to have spent so much money on something that doesn't sound any better than what I have.

Thanks for any help you can provide

From my experience Q701 are very good for music, but I never liked their reproduction of surround sound - I guess their soundstage is too wide. And you are aware of many complaints about the headband, right? You have been warned....  now to your questions.

1. Sound card is a bit more than just a DAC: it usually contains also a surround sound processor and some other effect rendering hardware. Strictly speaking you don't have to buy a dedicated sound card, but that is an option: you could buy a sound card instead of an external amp, and upgrade the DAC and surround sound at the same time, probably cheaper. Some people drive their Q701s that way. Do some more googling around this site and you'll find out what they are using.

2. You can't run optical connection straight to an amp - optical is a digital signal and requires a DAC on the receiving end. 

3. There may be some system configuration necessary so that the signal is actually transferred over optical, but the rest is usually quite straightforward.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 12
If you'r pc gaming i'd look into a good soundcard with a headphone amp. Looking on new egg there is several to choose from in the $140-$200 range. A soundcard IS a DAC btw and like PleasantSounds said, and internal one will do a little more for you. I'd go this route.

I've been using my Q701's for Battlefield 3 the last week or so and they are extremely accurate. I've enjoyed using them for this alot. Sometimes the soundstage can seem a little bit too big, but it's a small downside in my book. I'm still able to tell weather the tank is around the corner or a couple 100 meters away. It's strange that even without any surround sound, i can really pinpoint gunfire/footsteps.. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks. You both really helped clear stuff up.  I think I will go with a good sound card with a built in amp and the headphones but the headphones take up my whole budget so I might have to wait a few months to buy them both at the same time. How do you like them for battlefield? I dont want a ton of bass but are they lacking at all? And I'm really looking for full immersion, not so much "competition sound." Do they really sound as good as theyre worth? I'm think of just settling with Astro a40's just because of the price.. I'm really torn on what to do.  $250 for a pair of headphones and then another $150-$200 on a sound card to run them comes out to a lot of money, ya know?

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 12
yup its a big investment. I'm big into music, gaming is my second objective so i already knew the kind of money i was getting into. One thing that might help you come to terms with the investment is that a good quality soundcard and good headphones will outlast any PC rig you have. I've had my soundcard for 2 different PC builds, and im looking to upgrade soon since my cpu is pretty outdated. Whatever headphones you choose they're going to sound good right out of the box, but a good soundcard/headphone amp will really let you get more out of them in terms of volume/clarity/bass ect.

The Q's are mainly lacking sub bass. The easiest way to describe this is while im playing BF3, general vehicle explosions are very loud, and i know exactly where they came from (even in stereo and not 5.1) but the don't have that rattling sub bass. I personally don't even know if that kind of thing is even obtainable in headphones, probably not. I'd also look into the Beyerdynamic DT900 PRO as they're only about $180 and will offer more bass then the Q's. But as you said that would still be a large part of the budget, i'm assuming you were planning to spend around $250. 

If i currently didn't have a quality pair of headphones i might have settled on that Astro a40 + mixamp bundle aswell. My last set of headphones i used with my ps3 was the turtle beach PX21 and these Q's are really a step up. Now i can't say this is the case for the Astro's as from what i've read, they seem pretty legit. I would doubt that unless you spend upwards of $200 on headphones, your not going to get the accuracy and detail that you would in the Q701's. So what you really have to decide is do you wanna save a little money and possibly lose out on some of that accuracy and detail? 

I'd also look at MLE's Headphone Gaming Guide if you havn't already.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 12
Man you really helped me out a lot, I really appreciate it. I saw the guide and I'm pretty sold on the Q701's but I might consider the DT990 pros.  It's a lot to think about, especially when cash is hard to come by.  What sound card would you recommend? I need something with a built in amp to save on cost, but at the same time could I get a amp/dac combo for the same price as a sound card? If I get an amp/dac combo then I could use it for consoles too, right?

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 12
Ok, so after a ton of research I think I'm going to go with a Sound Blaster Titanium X-Fi HD Sound Card.  Would this card provide enough to power properly drive the Q701's without having to buy an amp?

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 12
I'd think this is more of a computer audio related thread, so i'll answer in this one. I can see your pickle, but if your sold on the sound of the Q701's i'd go with that. If you get a more bassy phone, you'll lose some detail, and then you might be thinking "what if" the whole time. I'll just say this, the bass on the Q701 is there, its not gonna WOW you but it's not recessed. I just got done playing with them for about an hour, and i can tell you there isn't a point while i'm playing that i suddenly wish i had more bass. Not untill i get on this forum and see everyone ELSE talk about bass do i even wonder "what if". I'll say once you make your purchase you will be happy with it.

Now to be honest, i don't know if that soundcard will be enough. I'm not saying it might not be, i just don't know what enough is. I'd look at the Creatuve SoundBlaster Zx Or the Asus Xonar Essence STX. It's $20 more but it says it comes pre-loaded with a headphone amp. WORST case scenario is this... You buy your soundcard, plug in your headphones and once you max out all the volume sliders you can, its not THAT loud. Loud enough to play? probably, but you don't have any extra slack. I think this would be the case if you bought a soundcard without any sort of extra amplification coming from the headphone jack.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 12
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623079/creative-sound-blaster-new-s-rie-z/300

This thread, page 20/21 they actually talk about some differences in the Titanium X-Fi HD/ Asus Xonar .. Apparently the card your looking at isn't described as having a headphone AMP but CAN drive headphones rather well. Well enough... again is going to be the question. Hopefully someone will be able to fill you in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back