Q
Aug 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 8
Think of a microphone as a speaker playback chain in reverse. A mic preamp is basically like a speaker amp with less voltage. When a computer is involved, particularly for recording, past that you'll need an ADC (analogue to digital converter), which is the reverse of a DAC (digital to analogue converter) in a playback chain.

What you need is an audio interface, which has both a DAC and ADC, like this M-Audio unit:

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 8
My advice would be to look into a basic focusrite 2i4 audio interface, you will also get a freeware version of ableton software which will allow you to record your vocals.  There are plenty to choose from but this is a great budget entry point from my perspective, and focusrite have great mic preamps for the money.  If you want more help try doing some reading on http://homerecording.com/bbs/

Simple example would be MIC>Audio Interface>PC.... you run ableton software to capture your sounds and then save to your HD.  There is other DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software available such as pro-tools but almost all audio interfaces will come with a entry level version of one or another included with the hardware.

The main reason I recommend the focusrite 2i4 is due to personal experience, cost, availability and the easy to use software it comes with.  I also own and use a Roland QuadCapture the RME Fireface.  

I would do plenty of reading on the website I mentioned earlier as there are hundreds if not thousands of home recording artists using that site than can offer you lots of hints and tips from beginner recordings through to mixing and mastering full band compositions.  

ProtegeManiac gave a nice informative description of what you need, now its down to you to do lots of reading before  you decide exactly what you want to buy, we can only offer suggestions.  Good luck and enjoy :D

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 8
  Ah, thank you. What audio interface(which's both DAC and ADC) would you suggest for me?

By "interface" that automatically means they have both DAC and ADC. It's hard to recommend which one as I've only used the M-Audios, and I imagine that some will drive some headphones better than others much like DACs with amps (whether built into them or not). Tablix suggested the Focusrite, which are at competitive prices and I've read many good reviews about them.

Also, what is Firewire?

Firewire is a faster data interface, kind of like USB but you're more likely to find them in Mac Pros. You can search for it on Wikipedia - I don't know the technical differences well enough.

Do I hook it through USB. My soundcard btw is Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD.

There are interfaces that use USB, so that's what you'll need (I only put in that M-Audio because I've used only the ones and that's the first one on my Google search too). Also, your soundcard probably won't matter as the Firewire will take over as primary audio device, bypassing the DSP on the soundcard (including virtual surround, if you're using that), so what will happen with games is you will lose positional audio but with an interface that can use a better microphone, those noobs will hear your voice insulting their mother in hi-fi tonality and dynamic range 
biggrin.gif

On a more serious note, given your OP I thought you only needed it for recording and such, but now that you mention your soundcard, well then there's going to be that problem with gaming.

If it's all for gaming virtual surround will at least maintain your chances of getting the "rights" to insult those noobs even if your voice won't be going through an SM57/SM58, so you might as well stick with the soundcard and a decent gaming headset. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 8
The Focusrite is nice, but there are also simpler solutions like the blue icicle, if you are looking for something simpler and cheaper (although not as good sounding). This also won't take over as your soundcard, I believe (but that is just a guess).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back