Q to those who use M-Audio Transit with a DAC
Oct 18, 2006 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nichifanlema

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, I am using the M-audio Transit, with Entech Numbercruncher 205.2 for my DAC.

When you surf on the net, and move from one page to another, you are supposed to hear this small click sound from Internet Explorer, right? Or when someone logs on to the messenger (e.g MSN, AIM, ICQ, etc etc) the program notifies you with a small "ding" sound.

My problem is that whenever these very "short" sounds are played, my DAC just looses the data lock and re-locks, giving out this click sounds when the data is locked.

and I don't know what's the problem.

It doesn't do that when I use another external USB soundcard, so I think it's the Transit's problem...

To summarize:

1. I use M-Audio Transit.
2. I also have a DAC connected via Toslink cable.
3. Whenever a (very) short sound is played, the DAC will unlock, then re-lock.
So if that short sound is played continuously, (for example, when someone is keep poking you on messenger), the DAC will continue the process of unlocking and relocking on and on and on...and hence the DAC goes "click click click click"

4. This doesn't happen when I use other USB soundcard.

Oct 18, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 3
I've had a similar problem and read about DACs that don't handle this sort of thing very well. I also have an Transit and my Chord DAC64 loses data lock the same way you describe below, while the Grace m902 or HeadRoom Overture (I think, I haven't checked in a while) work just fine.

I remember reading somewhere that there was this issue depending on your DAC's design. Don't know too much about the specifics though.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 19, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 3
oh well..I guess I will just live with my gears for some time...

I was going to upgrade to DA100 in winter anyway
wink.gif

and besides, if I have the main audio device set to onboard soundcard, I don't have that problem anymore, but I'll still have no problem at all listening to music since my Foobar is configured to ASIO output...
biggrin.gif

Well thanks for the input, jjcha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back