Q-Tips = BAD! Now what?
Dec 17, 2005 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

jerb

Headphoneus Supremus
My ears have been getting increasingly congested recently with ear wax, I think it’s from the numerous insertions of my E2C's but I'm not sure.

Recently My E2C's have been coming out with the wax guard covered in wax so I decided to clean them, I soaked in a warm bath allowing water to flow into my ear to loosen/soften everything then without knowing the consequences used Q-Tips!!!!
eek.gif
My right ear came out black/ dark brown the first time the q-tip went in, and I continued to shovel out wax. Immediately I noticed a difference in my perception of ambient noises. However I was not as lucky with the left ear and I managed to pack the ear canal with wax
frown.gif

As of right now I have very little hearing out of that ear and even less at higher frequencies (I ran some test tones and had to reverse the headphones to prove it wasn’t a mono signal!) I tried using a bulb syringe and water without luck. If I were to go to a doctor it wouldn’t be until after new years and there's no way I can make it to the pharmacy before Friday. In the mean time I have (in my experience) pretty severe tinnitus, there is a LOUD constant ringing in my ear, even more so when I put on a closed headphone such as the DT770.

What should I do!?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
I think I have some Peroxide somewhere in the cabinet, but I can’t be sure. I did search through the forum but didn’t find too much other than "don’t use Q-Tips"
rolleyes.gif

I also have some Isopropyl Alcohol at my workbench downstairs but I would thing it would burn to put in my ear!!!
eek.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 34
If you go to the doctor, chances are they may just put some near boiling water into your ear and let the wax drain out. My dad had to have that done once, apparently it's not too pleasant...

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 34
I would try using some peroxide in your ear. Let it sit until it nearly stops fizzing then rinse it out.

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 34
Don't panic. Go see a doctor.

This happened to me once several months ago. My earwax is the moist type and it usually comes out on its own. I tried using Q-Tips and packed in the earwax in my left ear instead of removing it. The Q-Tip just pushed in the wax. I couldn't hear much out of the left ear.

After a couple days of chewing a lot of gum, the wax cleared enough for normal hearing to return. I've read that when you chew, the chewing motion of your jaw muscles helps the earwax come out of your ears.

As for the tinnitus, ask for more info from a doctor.

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 34
WATER PIK.

If you don't have one consider it an audio equipment purchase. My doctor recommended that I clean my ears out with a Water pik when I was coming in to get him to do the same thing every couple months (nice guy that way).

Use hot water. Don't be a wuss, crank it up to mildly uncomfortable-to-slightly painful. Be persistent, it takes a while. Be prepared to discover what kind of nasty stuff was in your head
eek.gif

Do be smart though...

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
WATER PIK.

If you don't have one consider it an audio equipment purchase. My doctor recommended that I clean my ears out with a Water pik when I was coming in to get him to do the same thing every couple months (nice guy that way).

Use hot water. Don't be a wuss, crank it up to mildly uncomfortable-to-slightly painful. Be persistent, it takes a while. Be prepared to discover what kind of nasty stuff was in your head
eek.gif

Do be smart though...

can't the water jet poke a hole in your eardrum tho? that pik is pretty powerful!

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 34
Skip the Water Pik, use Peroxide. Just like PsychoZX said.

Otherwise, use Murine Ear drops, which is basically a Peroxide with oil in it.

Don't use alcohol, it won't really cause much harm, but it won't really do any good for ear wax, it will just dry out your ear.

-Ed

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 34
I wouldn't use regular peroxide more than once in awhile... that stuff eats flesh, basically (the dentist told me it explodes healthy cells). Probably safe when used occasionally, but bad for regular use.

For me, the best thing is to rinse out my ears thoroughly every time I take a shower. The hot water really loosens wax... good regular treatment.

Dec 17, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 34
Hydrogen Peroxide is amazing stuff. If you've ever used it to clean your IEM tips, you'll know what I mean. Simply dissolves everything. And it's not harmful to your skin either.

Dec 17, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 34
I would definitely go to the Doctor. First off, they don't use near-boiling hot water (or at least shouldn't). They use water that is roughly body temperature and then draw the water into this thingy that looks like a huge, stainless steel syringe. They then place the syringe not-too-deeply in the ear and begin to irrigate the ear. After a couple of times, the ear wax will generally float out.

Uncomfortable, yes. Painful, no (and I'm the worlds biggest wuss).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back