Q: Stax SR-303 vs. SR-404 with SRM-1/MK-2
Oct 11, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #16 of 20
I like the gray color of 303, I have a black SR-Lambda so this will look different. In the grand scheme of things I don't care how they look as long as they sound great.

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got some Cardas GRFA really cheap and used them in my DAC and Amp. They are very nice, solid and hopefully will last a long time. I am thinking about installing them in SRM-1 as well if I have time.

However I find the differences to be very minor, mostly less noise and darker background and simply a better grip on cables. Stax RCAs seem to be somewhat flimsy but sill not that bad.

The GRFA's are great but the WBT's are a clear step up and are much better to work with. I use the same wire internally as I use in my IC's and the change is pretty dramatic but it takes a while to notice it. The stock wire is crap and the sockets are horrible so it would be wise to spend a hour replacing them.

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Faust, are you buying your 303's new or used? And how much did they cost (if you don't mind telling)? I'm also planning on getting a pair eventually, or possibly the 202's depending on cost.

I PMed you
icon10.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

I don't trust 6moons.
lambda.gif

You're not the only one!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Now getting back to 303 and 404. My question is less important now since I have SR-303 coming my way. I was skeptical that out of SRM-1 the difference will be that big. If I don't like it I can alsways sell add $70 and get a 404
smily_headphones1.gif

Wise choice, I must say.
Cause from my own experience there are close to none audible difference between the 303 and 404. So the 303 are clearly the best bang for $$ of them.

Enjoy them!

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #20 of 20
if faust2d has a good source for low prices, i'd love to know!

pricejapan.com was the lowest price i could find -- i ordered the 404s late last week. so far, they've been very responsive to emails, but i'm waiting on the 'phones -- we'll see when they're delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back