Q: Source - amp - resistance adapter - cans
Jul 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

koolkat

1000+ Head-Fier
The primary purpose of a resistance adapter is to increase the impedance of the cans, yes?

I am currently looking to amp my Sennheiser HD438s with the PA2V2.
The HD438s have a low 32ohm impedance. Will adding a resistance adapter to increase the impedance
of the headphones improve the sound quality of the cans, when I run it through an amplifier?
What is/are the purpose(s) of increasing the impedance of full sized headphones?

Couldn't find any useful info on the Search engine regarding this.

Thanks
darthsmile.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 4

It's not so much increasing the impedance of the headphones, but rather effectively increasing the output impedance of the amplifier.

Some feel their headphones sound better when driven from a source impedance that's higher than their amplifier's output impedance.

se

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 4

I noticed you said "some feel". So I guess it doesn't make much of a difference, in your personal opinion?
Quote:

It's not so much increasing the impedance of the headphones, but rather effectively increasing the output impedance of the amplifier.

Some feel their headphones sound better when driven from a source impedance that's higher than their amplifier's output impedance.

se

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 4

Well, it's not so much that it doesn't make much difference. It certainly can make a significant difference depending on the particular headphones and how much resistance you're adding. What I meant by "some feel" was with regard to subjective improvement. In other words, some feel it sound better, some feel it sounds worse.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back