Q regarding Emmeline sr-71
Jun 10, 2004 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yammy1688

100+ Head-Fier
Can it be powered with an AC adapter, or is it restricted to 2 9V's? I'm going to buy a portable/semi-poratble amp and deciding between the sr-71 and pocket reference.

Jun 10, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 6
It works only off the 2 9V batteries. On the one I had they lasted for well over 40 hours though. If you do not forget to turn it off the batteries last a very long time.

Jun 10, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I have not had the time to sit down and do a detailed comparison or review but I did form an impression after a week long audition.

The SR-71 to me is in the class with Ray Samuels' XP-7 and the Headroom Cosmic. It can easily drive Sennheiser HD-600's. My audition was over a week long period recently when I was traveling and my comparisons are from memory. I was using the Zen Xtra that I just bought as a source, the MP3's were ripped from my collection with LAME. I had to return it and did not get a chance to play the SR-71 with a top notch source or head to head with other amps to see what it can really do.

The sound based on my time with the amp was very detailed and refined and I will probably add it to my travel bag in the near future. I hope to hear it again maybe this weekend and I will give you some more of my thoughts then.

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
How difficult is it to change batteries? Did Ray use the Bulgin drawers again or are there screws involved this time?

The drawers from the XP-7 are not used with the SR-71. To change the batteries you remove, with your fingers, two knurled nuts and the cover comes off. The batteries slide out easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back