[Q] Portable Amp w/ near Sony A-Series Sound Signature
Oct 19, 2011 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JiPod

100+ Head-Fier
I have learned to love the SQ of the Sony A-Series.  The only weakpoint I have found in the DAP is its internal amp's inability to drive certain closed portable cans.

Of the currently available portable amps, has anyone found any certain offering to provide a near Sony A-Series' Sound Signature?

Your feedback would be most appreciated.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 3
I believe you have things slightly off-kilter : if you want the end result to reflect the sound you are currently getting from your Sony, you need a neutral amp.Unfortunately, that is a term which is often construed to mean 'sterile' or 'boring', but if an amp accurately reflects your source, I dont see how folk can blame the amp for being either of those things. 

Most of the amps I've owned fall on the brighter side of neutral, but the uHA-120 seems closer to ruler-flat neutrality than the others. Without measurements, I'm afraid terms like 'brighter', 'warmer' etc are the best I can do, but its generally accepted that neutrality is a 'good' thing when you are talking amplifiers.

There is another issue with a player like the Sony - because you dont have a dedicated line-out, you will be 'double-amping' the analog signal from your headphone out. Like many things, I suspect that the impact of said double-amping is overstated on Head-Fi, but you might like to check with the tireless debating ('mass debating', actually) team in Sound Science - good luck with that. 
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for your valued feedback.

Quote:
I believe you have things slightly off-kilter : if you want the end result to reflect the sound you are currently getting from your Sony, you need a neutral amp.Unfortunately, that is a term which is often construed to mean 'sterile' or 'boring', but if an amp accurately reflects your source, I dont see how folk can blame the amp for being either of those things. 

Most of the amps I've owned fall on the brighter side of neutral, but the uHA-120 seems closer to ruler-flat neutrality than the others. Without measurements, I'm afraid terms like 'brighter', 'warmer' etc are the best I can do, but its generally accepted that neutrality is a 'good' thing when you are talking amplifiers

I follow what you're saying and agree completely.  My inquiry was worded inappropriately, allow me to rephrase.

I have an A-Series, and I love its sound signature.  I was hoping to duplicate this sound signature with an iPod Touch 3G + portable amp.  Considering that the signal out of the LO is considered "near clean", I require a portable amp to color the signal in a manner that mimics the A-Series.

There is another issue with a player like the Sony - because you dont have a dedicated line-out, you will be 'double-amping' the analog signal from your headphone out. Like many things, I suspect that the impact of said double-amping is overstated on Head-Fi, but you might like to check with the tireless debating ('mass debating', actually) team in Sound Science - good luck with that. 
tongue.gif

I am very aware of the "complex" Sony LO and have no intention to utilize a portable amp with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back