Q: Onkyo DX-7555 best choice for budget of $500?
Nov 6, 2008 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Kui4ever

I planning to buy my first CD player. As I'm a college student, I don't have much to spend (probably around $500). Currently, brand new Onkyo DX-7555 is selling for $399. I wonder if that's the best player available for under $500. I'm not planning to make any upgrades anytime soon, so I'll probably just use the headphone out for listening. Thanks for any helps & advices.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 28
I haven't had too much experience with CDPs but I have the Onkyo and it's a great player. While an amp will definitely be an improvement, the headphone out is more than serviceable if you're not planning on an upgrade. The below link is a comparison I did which included the DX-7555.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/onk...9555-a-357405/

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 28
I know this is an old thread! I'm getting interested in this player and was wondering if anyone's compared it with similarly priced DACs, e.g. DACMagic, VDAC?

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kui4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I planning to buy my first CD player. As I'm a college student, I don't have much to spend (probably around $500). Currently, brand new Onkyo DX-7555 is selling for $399. I wonder if that's the best player available for under $500. I'm not planning to make any upgrades anytime soon, so I'll probably just use the headphone out for listening. Thanks for any helps & advices.

The Onkyo is an incredible player. I bought it to replace my Classe CDP .5 which cost 2k 12 yes ago. Their isnt a better player for the money. It was more transparent than my Classe has the Wolfson DAC and a super clock installed. Its cant miss

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 28
Thanks for digging this up - the Onkyo is obsolete now, but a couple of places in Oz still have them : it gets rave reviews in many places, including Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/rot...m-33-a-261272/

If all the 'good' players were up around the price of the Marantz PM6003/CA 650C here in Oz (no change from a thousand), I would stick with the 'cheap universal player hooked up to a DAC' route for CD playback, but I'm going to jump on one of these as soon as I get back from Asia.

As a side note, the reviews of the current Onkyo CDPs seem to be less glowing ('lukewarm' might be a better description), but I'd still like to hear them for myself.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 28
I realise that everyone in this thread is well ahead of me in terms of having done their research, but one thing that stands out is that the player does need some run-in to sound good, one person describing it as 'dull and lifeless' initially. I hope to burn mine in with a new Rotel RA-04 and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers : all straight out of the box. For those who believe burn-in is all in our minds, I'm going to record the first few minutes of this combo in action for posterity : that much new gear coming to life should be a real treat
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Onkyo is an incredible player. I bought it to replace my Classe CDP .5 which cost 2k 12 yes ago. Their isnt a better player for the money. It was more transparent than my Classe has the Wolfson DAC and a super clock installed. Its cant miss

That's quite a recommendation. I'm going to try to have a listen to one over the next couple of weeks but as usual, it's being able to compare directly to other options that's the problem.

One stumbling block for me is that I was led to believe that standalone DACs would perform better than CD players for the same cost, as there are fewer parts and often available from sources with less inflated mark-ups. I'm now starting to doubt that. DIY, excluding casework, I can believe it. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's quite a recommendation. I'm going to try to have a listen to one over the next couple of weeks but as usual, it's being able to compare directly to other options that's the problem.

One stumbling block for me is that I was led to believe that standalone DACs would perform better than CD players for the same cost, as there are fewer parts and often available from sources with less inflated mark-ups. I'm now starting to doubt that. DIY, excluding casework, I can believe it. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.

I disagree on the stand alone DAc. The last time I did that you deal with jitter with the cable. I have found having both that one box CD players sound the best. Besides the onkyo has the wolfson dac which is regarded as the best dac available and also has the super clock, It has two filter settings and the clock is also adjustable. Another recommendation would have been the Marantz DV6001 universal player which Music Direct was selling for 249. but is now gone. The Marantz is the one I use with my headphone setup/ that player was the biggest bargain, It has better tracking than the Onkyo as it is a DVD transport and plays scratched disc the Onkyo wont. It sounds remarkably good and musical.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 28
I am also interested to know whether this onkyo dx 7555 will be able to take the place of an headphone amp and good dac combined. I am talking about powering headphones like K601 and stuff. Also, will the player be able to play music from a computer?

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also interested to know whether this onkyo dx 7555 will be able to take the place of an headphone amp and good dac combined. I am talking about powering headphones like K601 and stuff. Also, will the player be able to play music from a computer?

It has an headphone amp I havent used it as my Outlaw receiver has a good one. its designed to be used as a source with an integrated amp so you cant hook it up to a PC unless you have an amp that has a USB jack.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kui4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Onkyo DX-7555 I would choice if my Pioneer PD-65 wears out.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree on the stand alone DAc. The last time I did that you deal with jitter with the cable. I have found having both that one box CD players sound the best. Besides the onkyo has the wolfson dac which is regarded as the best dac available and also has the super clock, It has two filter settings and the clock is also adjustable. Another recommendation would have been the Marantz DV6001 universal player which Music Direct was selling for 249. but is now gone. The Marantz is the one I use with my headphone setup/ that player was the biggest bargain, It has better tracking than the Onkyo as it is a DVD transport and plays scratched disc the Onkyo wont. It sounds remarkably good and musical.

Well, I recently got to hear an Arcam CD73. If the Onkyo is as good as that, I have to agree it's a good buy and better than a standalone DAC at the price.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I recently got to hear an Arcam CD73. If the Onkyo is as good as that, I have to agree it's a good buy and better than a standalone DAC at the price.

I have not heard the Arcam. But as I said it was better than the Classe which would sell for 3k now. Another option may be the Yamaha 1800 for 80.00 on Amazon. Its Universal haven't heard it but people who have like it. The Onkyo is a keeper in my system.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 28
I'm pretty close to ordering the Onkyo now (famous last words...). One thing I forgot to check: is it silent when fast forwarding through a track, or does it try to play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back