Q-Jays vs UM2 vs SE530 ?
Jul 7, 2008 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

neodyme60

Head-Fier
Hi,

I posted a few threads to know which earphones should be object of my next purchase and I am finally debating on three different items : The 200$ Jays Q-Jays, the 250$ Westone UM2 or the 450$ Shure SE530.
confused.gif

Now, considering this may be my final thread on this subject I will try to be very precise.

I mostly listen to :

- Alternative Rock, such as Radiohead
- Hip-Hop, such as Common
- Electronica, such as Daft Punk
- Jazz, such as John Coltrane

So, basically, I need :

- Presence of bass (Without being too overwhelming)
- Balanced and musical sound signature
- Detailed sound (I can sacrifice a little detail for bass)
- Comfort
- Build Quality
- Possibility to sound great with an amp

I will be using with those sources :

- Zune 8 + iBasso Boa
- Sansa Clip + iBasso Boa
- Laptop + iBasso Boa

*Note : I don't really mind the price tag. I'm just looking for the best Sound/Value. If the Shure SE530 is a good value even at a 450$ price tag, it means it has a much better sound quality than the others. But if the price difference is not worth it, I won't buy it. On the other hand, i've seen all of them for sale at a very cheap price on this website. Let's say 150$ for the Q-Jays, 200$ for the UM2 and an outstanding 280$ for the SE530.
cool.gif

Oh and sorry for my english, i'm french..
icon10.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 25
get the shures

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 25
I've heard all but UM2.

Hip-hop and electronica excels with SE530 where as q-JAYS excel at Jazz. Alternate rock, is nice on both.
To me the q-JAYS satisfy me bass wise, although the amount of bass is less. The quality of the bass for q-JAYS is nice, but SE530 goes lower. Detail wise, q-JAYS have the edge. Comfort is SE530, but with SA6 tips the q-JAYS are equally as comfortable if not better. The nozzle on the q-JAYS is sturdier, shorter and less prone to breaking compared to the SE530 but build quality since the SE530 is metal I'd have to give it a slight edge. q-JAYS build quality is also excellent nonetheless

I sold the shures, because they didn't seem to be worth the price tag. Sound quality wise, q-JAYS is all I never need.

But seeing that you can get your SE530 relatively cheap, price isn't too much of an issue. You'll probably like the SE530 more if you enjoy a more forward sound signature with upfront vocals. The dark signature style just wasn't for me. Treble wise the q-JAYS > SE530, no fatigue for me.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 25
Any opinions on the UM2?

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 25
Bump

Jul 9, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 25
I'm leaning towards the SE530 but the problem is the size of the headphone plug. It's huge and i'm afraid it won't do well with my Sansa Clip.

Jul 9, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 25
headphone plug should be of standard size, I could be wrong though

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 25
Sorry if I didn't use the word correctly but I meant this part of the plug :

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got both se530 and q-JAYS, I tend to use them both, but the Jays is the pair that I use the most..

I miss the highs on the 530 and the massive bass on the Jays...

I am totally confused myself....I went from Ety 4P's (amped and un-amped) to Q Jays (using Ety triple flanges) to Shure 530's (using shure olives).

At first, I thought the 530's were IT! I spent a little more, but got a highly sensitive set of IEM's that were just pure fun to listen to out of the box directly from my iPod. Lush is my preferred adjective...as it is for many.

So i give the Q Jays the silent treatment....contemplate selling them here on the classifieds....but now that i know the Shure signature...the Ety's receded in memory.......ok...let me try out Q Jays in a serious way.

And guess what? I don't even know which I like better!. I have described the Q Jays here before as Ety's with bass, and i stand by that. I think I may just be a more analytical listener than i confess to be. The Q Jays can also be driven easily, and their form factor is plain too tiny to believe.

So..i have not decided, except that i will not go back to the Ety's...unless i get an iPhone and need the hf2's. But i just can't handle the "complexities" of using an amp as i am a minimalist at heart. I will rip lossless and go amp-less........i don't even like owning these two pairs of IEM's!

Basically i have said nothing, but given that 5 years ago, Ety stood alone for affordable high end IEMs, it is a big pleasure to have all these "problems" that we all have!!
eek.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 25
The UM2 are underrated. Some people complain about receded highs (as the 530) and boomy bass. To me, they are wonderful, comfortable and fun to listen to. They respond nicely to equalization and have the best cord of any IEM's out there IMHO. I would buy them again without hesitation.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 25
Which one has the best isolation?

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got both se530 and q-JAYS, I tend to use them both, but the Jays is the pair that I use the most..

I miss the highs on the 530 and the massive bass on the Jays...

just to make sure it is the sures that got the massive bass and the JAYS that have got the highs, it was not that clear on my first post...

after I got customtips for the q-JAYS the se530 pales in comparrison also in the bass department, but thats a completely other story...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back