Q-Jays vs. super.fi 5 pro vs. er-4p
May 12, 2008 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

thatwunguy

100+ Head-Fier
So I just my sennheiser cx 500's to a friend for a pair of bose triport around ear headphones (he wanted a pair of iem's and I wanted a new pair of iem's so i figured i would be ok with this trade).

I liked my cx 500s but they are not quite the quality I am seeking for use with my ipod and sometimes mbook pro.

My dilemma: there are 3 great iems that I am considering, while currently leaning toward the q-jays, and I am looking for some input from the community.

I listen to a lot of hard rock, indie rock, acoustic rock, electronic, and roots based hip-hop (basically everything).

I do appreciate bass but I think I could forego strong bass for impecable quality.

I am really getting into quality headphones so I'm looking for my first big purchase.

So which should I get:

Jays Q-jays (current Favorite)

Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro

Etymotic ER-4P

all go for around $175 so price is not an issue

May 12, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 11
thanks snicewicz, actually the first link you posted about Q-jays vs super.fi 5 is one i looked at, but that one focuses a little more on the eb model rather than the pro model of the super.fi 5.

I really liked the second post. Another tally on the board for Q-jays.

May 12, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 11
you can also check out the future sonics m5/m8 if you like bass, the 5 pros are a great option. To me the q-jays do not have a lot of all around bass for rock.

May 12, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can also check out the future sonics m5/m8 if you like bass, the 5 pros are a great option. To me the q-jays do not have a lot of all around bass for rock.

what is the all around bass you are talking about?

I'm kind of new to the more specific terms and I have just not heard this one.

I guess I just don't have enough experience to understand this description...

May 12, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to them first, if possible?

I have the sf5p and the er4p. There is clearly more quality to the er4p sound, but I use the sf5p because I prefer it's bass (quantity).

i won't have the opportunity to listen to any of them before buying them, unfortunately

May 12, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qjays seems to receive high praise from er4p owners. Precise and more bass.

Yet it is said from reviews here on Head-Fi that the mids are a bit recessed, something the ER4P/S doesn't do.
wink.gif

May 18, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 11
Q's have plenty of bass. It's so much better than my ety 6i's (which I loved) I can't believe it. I listed to drum and bass sometimes and I can hear accurate low frequencies I've totally missed with the others. Accuracy of the etys (at least near) but with a richer overall sound. Can't comment on UE's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back