Q-Jays vs Shure Se310 vs Super.fi 5
Jul 17, 2008 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sinafl

Head-Fier
I want them to look good and have a great sound! I mostly listen to rock/rap and need help deciding which ones to get. I was originally going to go for the V-moda's but with all the negative responses around here they have been crossed out of the list. Any help?

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Access /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO

If you want them to look good then eliminate the Super Fi 5.

If you want them to have a great sound then that leaves the Q-Jays.

Agreed 100%, the q-JAYS sound better than the SE310 by a small margin (more bass) and sound and look much better than Super.fi 5 Pro too.

However, with rock and rap the super.fi would sound acceptable - but for classical, jazz, acoustic instruments and anything non-electronic the q-JAYS and Shure are more accurate in timbre and tone and balance. Since the q-JAYS can do all genre and thump in the bass when needed for rock and rap, that would be my pick.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 9
Looks, take out super fi 5.

For classical, take the Se310

For everything else, take the Q-jays

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 9
People seem to forget that there are two different versions of the Super.fi 5s now - the big old Super.fi 5 Pros and the new, sleek Super.fi 5 without the "pro" ending. If you're talking about the Super.fi 5 Pros, yes, I agree with the above posters that Shure SE310 and Q-jays will both be better choices due to better ergonomics and more balanced and natural sound. However, the new Super.fi is apparently quite an improvement over the pro (
rolleyes.gif
) version and is much more balanced sounding with a bigger soundstage and MUCH better ergonomics. There's a whole big thread about the new version here. Based on Edwood's impressions, I think that the new Super.fi may be a great alternative to the Q-jays and SE310, especially for those who like the creamy, tonally balanced UE sonics, but also want the balanced overall frequency response of the Shures and the Jays.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 9
Oh yeah, don't forget Sleek Audio SA6 and Head-Direct RE1. Those two are also great sounding IEMs. The Sleek doesn't require and amp, while the RE1 pretty much needs it to sound at it's best. If you already own an amp however, RE1 are undoubtedly one of the best deals in the IEM world. I am waiting for my Sleeks to arrive BTW - these are getting LOTs of positive reviews here on head-fi and many people claim that their sound quality rivals that of highest-end universal-fit IEMs, like UE Triple.fi and Shure SE530. Plus, Sleek SA6 does not really need an amp, so it's a great deal at only $199 from TTVJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back