q-Jays versus Shure Se530
Feb 19, 2009 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Nosoupforyou

100+ Head-Fier
I've got the q-Jays, which are great... but they're a little bright. It's a little fatiguing listening to songs on them. They cost $161. I've been thinking about stepping up to the Shure Se530's, but the lowest price I can find are $250-ish. Do you think the Shure's merit an extra 100 dollars?

Also, how comfortable are the Shure's for people with small ears?

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 32
get the PFE (phonak audeo)! you'll never regret. then if you're happy with it, join team phonak.
atsmile.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 32
just went from a Sleek SA6 to a 530....it was about the same $$ as a upgrade with shipping.

Im pretty pleased with the difference.

Welcome to headfi BTW

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 32
Thanks for the welcome. I'm worried though -- the q-Jays are supremely comfortable, just slightly treble-enhanced. The 530's look absolutely huge. Is the 530's sound advantage worth the loss in comfort?

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the welcome. I'm worried though -- the q-Jays are supremely comfortable, just slightly treble-enhanced. The 530's look absolutely huge. Is the 530's sound advantage worth the loss in comfort?

The 530s are pretty comfortable for their size dude, I can have them on for 4 hours and forget they are there until I see a wire running down my chest.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

I wore them for almost 4 hours straight....on a plane, in the car...never took them off. Used the PTH to talk to people...only took them off at TSA.

They didnt even stop me for my amp/ipod combo...of course i didnt have the LOD connected.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 32
4 hours?! Badass... Can you sleep while wearing them?

And also, if anyone has both the q-Jays and the 530's, any thoughts on the sound quality differences would be much appreciated. Thanks for your insight!

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

4 hours?! Badass... Can you sleep while wearing them?

And also, if anyone has both the q-Jays and the 530's, any thoughts on the sound quality differences would be much appreciated. Thanks for your insight!

Im a side sleeper, so i duno if i want to lay on my ear with those in there...but they do fit pretty nicely inside the ear.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 32
If it were me i would stick with the Jays or get some Phonaks. The 530's are big they would become an issue for people with small ears. After wearing the phonaks for a few weeks the 530's are huge now. I would consider the phonaks.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 32
phonaks and SE530 sound like they are totally different sound sigs though. I used to sleep with mine and i'm a side sleeper too, they are very comfortable and yeah 4hrs is nothing, i've done whole bus trips from brisbane to sydney with them on (also using PTH) and thats about 14hrs I even slept on the bus with them (if you could call that sleep) they are shaped so they fit quite nicely in the ear so the size really doesnt mean that much, besides they arent as large as they look. Only IEM's i've tried that are more comfortable are my Westone 3.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #13 of 32
I would also suggest the Phonak Audeo PFE. Go to the main thread named Phonak? and read up, I'd take them over the Shure's any day. As a matter of fac t I sent the Shures back due to the bass, clouds the mids and the highs to me. The Phonak's are more detailed, clarity shines thru like a bright light bulb. Excellent listening experience is what you will receive when you get these my young padawan.....
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 32
I agree about the comfort of the shure's. They're very comfortable (you could go for hours with them on without any problems) and the sound is fantastic. I had the same dilemma before when I was thinking of buying an IEM. I went with the se530's and I have never been happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back