Q-Jays or Ety hf5...upgrading from Ety ER6i
May 5, 2009 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ATTL

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I really want to upgrade and I'm having a difficult time deciding between these two.

I really want to upgrade. I was looking to spend about ~$150 USD and started looking. One of the biggest limitations to my search was shipping to Canada. Shipping had to be reasonable or I had to be able to pick them up locally

The most logical choice would be the ER4ps but they're out of my budget once I include shipping. They are a ridiculous $269 CAD if I pick them up locally. So instead, I have been considering the hf5 as I've read that they are very similar to the ER4p. The things I like about the hf5 is that they will fit with Shure black olives (which I love), and that it comes with shirt clip, which I've gotten used to and rather prefer.

The Q-Jays have intrigued me because I keep reading about how they are an Ety ER4p with more mid and bass but sacrifice the highs slightly. The downside for me is that Shure olives don't fit them well (without modification, or extreme stretching) and no shirt clip is included (I prefer to wear IEM's hanging down)

Are either of these much of an upgrade over the ER6i's or is there something else I should consider. Keep in mind that isolation is a necessity. I would like to use Shure black olives, as I love the isolation they provide. Also, I also prefer IEMs that hang down. I just don't trust the longevity and durability of the wires of over-the-ear style IEM.

Listen to everything except Hip Hop/Rap and Country. Really enjoy Jazz, Rock, Acoustic music, Classical, and Indie

Thanks for all the help,

May 5, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 8
I recommend the phonak PFE, most people agree there sound signature is very close to etys. except the phonaks have a real deep tight bass response compared to the Etys, also its right in your spending costs around 140 dollars.

May 5, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 8
The HF5 and er6i are compared on Gizmodo, as well as here and there on Head-Fi.

I haven't yet received my HF5, but I got them for $99 during an Amazon sale, and it wasn't the first time they discounted the HF5 in such a fashion. Of course, you may not want to wait for the next time.
redface.gif

May 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 8
Just found out the hf5's are on sale at Amazon.com. It really sucks that they don't ship Etymotic products to Canada. If anyone knows a way around this, please share.
wink.gif

I still can't decide. I really want to go straight for the ER4P's but the damn shipping...oh well. I'll keep looking for a good deal.

Thanks for your help

May 7, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrocyanic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seeing that you can get a er4p for a little above 150USD, why hf5?

the sound quality difference is negligible between the two, the hf5 has a less microphonic, more portable friendly cable, and they both share the same 2 year warranty. That's why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back