q-JAYS My Initial Thoughts and Request Comparison to Shure E4C and SE310
Jan 11, 2008 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

lorenmjones

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Just got q-JAYS a few days back. I haven't owned any other IEM's except a very brief listen to some V-moda vibes and also to a pair of E4C.

The q-Jays look fine, feel well made, and I didn't have any problems with fit or comfort but would like to be able to try foamies. The left ear screen did get plugged after only a few hours of use which the headroom folks told me is a little bit more common with the q-JAYS than some of their other IEM's.

Sound is good overall. The overall balance is good with a mild to moderately recessed midrange (I would guess between 2k and 5k). The highs are crisp and pretty well detailed. The bass is full and goes deep. The amount of bass is not too much or too little for my ears. The bass quantity is just a little soft and ill defined for me (I may be expecting too much since I am used to my good quality DIY 12" subwoofer...I don't know what headphone bass sounds like). It isn't bad it just isn't the tightest and quickest bass I have heard...slightly soft on the attack and decay (this may be more a problem with midbass punch than deep bass resolution...I don't know). Anyway overall I would classify the sound as quite good if slightly euphonic.

Comparing to the V-moda vibes the q-JAYS are in another league. Vibes just have way too much bass. Comparing (in my distant memory) to the E4C it seems like the q-Jays are a little less crisp and detailed across the spectrum and may have a little less midrange energy.

Big question is to folks here who have heard both q-JAYS and E4C and/or SE310. How would you describe the differences between these IEM's. I am strongly considering returning the q-JAYS and getting one of these Shure models but I am going off a distant memory of the Shure sound. Anyone here can tell me if my memory is serving me correctly that the Shure may have a little more detail and more midrange energy but perhaps with less bass extension?

Thanks a lot,
Loren Jones

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 15
A better comparison might be with the SE410, since they are both dual-armature IEMs.

I haven't heard either, but am considering the Q-Jays (or another good IEM) for use at work.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 15
I know what you are saying about both being dual armature, but I was basing the comparison on street price which is very similar between q-JAYS and SE310 and SCL4(E4C). The SE420 would be too much money for me.

Thaks,
Jones

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 15
A dollar-for-dollar comparison is certainly fair.

I would expect a dual-armature design to beat a single-armature one, so the Q-Jays would likely be the better value, although an actual comparison is the only way to tell.

Hopefully someone who has listened to both can chime in and help out.

Now I'm eyeing the new Sennheiser IE 7 dynamic-driver IEM which was just announced at CES.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 15
The Shure SE310 have better midrange and soundstage, I think the q-Jays had better bass extension and high end detail. At times, the q-Jays were TOO resolving, and I felt like they were very finicky in terms of source material.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 15
I would tell about the q-JAYS vs Shure but I haven't received my pair yet.

I've owned the Shure E500 and Triple.fi 10 Pro , pretty good for reference but from what I've read it seems like the Shures midrange is much more upfront than the q-JAYS with less high extension.

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to return the q-JAYS for either Shure SE310 or SCL4 not only in search of a more upfront midrange but also because I am a little concerned that after only 2 hours or so of use my q-JAYS protector screens had to be changed due to wax clogging. Is that as big of a problem with the Shures? I am an ear nose and throat doctor and I know I don't have excessive wax.

Thanks again

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 15
sometime ago I made a comparrison between q.JAYS and e-500 and to me it is more a question of preference than SQ..

The screen of the q-JAYS has also given me some trouble, but when I used my own foamies I solved the problem by putting on a bit of plastictubing that extended 1-2 mm from the soundtube, I do not know if it works with stocktips......I suspect that the problem is that the tips are very soft and fold back so that the screen is alone in front when inserting...

Now I have got customtips and have nothing to worry about..And the details are amazing also the mids is a little bit more forward, without any loss of bass or treble..

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lorenmjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to return the q-JAYS for either Shure SE310 or SCL4 not only in search of a more upfront midrange but also because I am a little concerned that after only 2 hours or so of use my q-JAYS protector screens had to be changed due to wax clogging. Is that as big of a problem with the Shures? I am an ear nose and throat doctor and I know I don't have excessive wax.

Thanks again

Wag clogging will be apparent of any IEM, especially if you don't go through a thorough cleaning for the first time you wear them.

It really is a matter of taste. The q-JAYS have more resolution, but the shures are a good overall headphone, not really excelling in any range, but doing an adequate job at all of them. Take your pick.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 15
The constant filter changing that I keep reading about is what's preventing me from getting the q-Jays. Even though my C700 uses filters, they don't supply any replacement filters. And IIRC, four pairs of filters are $5 from Jays.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 15
Claus and Duke thanks for the thoughts. Still can't decide. Going to listen to the qJAYS right now and try to stop thinking about "Did I make the right choice". OTOH, perhaps SF5Pro would be worth considering?

Jan 13, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #14 of 15
I believe I read that foamies will be available from Jays in February.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lorenmjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Claus and Duke thanks for the thoughts. Still can't decide. Going to listen to the qJAYS right now and try to stop thinking about "Did I make the right choice". OTOH, perhaps SF5Pro would be worth considering?

no.......i'd pick q-jays over sf5pro any time for its sheer superior SQ. and you can't change 5pro's filter even if it's clogged. it's nice that q-jays use that easily changeable type filter pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back