Q-Jays - My first 20 minutes
Dec 4, 2007 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

aphexii

500+ Head-Fier
Just received my Q-Jays. Unamped for the time being, directly from my iPhone, no EQ.

Took me a little while to get the tips on (am i doing something wrong?) Ended up with smaller tips than i originally thought i would need. Took a few minutes to get used to the feel, but 10 minutes in, i dont even notice they are there now.

SQ?

I have to say, these are the closest sounding IEM's i've heard to the HD595, and I absolutely LOVE IT. They handle the delicate sections superbly, they seem to be brighter than the UM2's and E500's i had. I used to think I was a basshead, but i'm now finding i'm far from it. Good amounts of bass, not too much, but its tight. Mids are a bit recessed IMO, but nothing a little EQ couldn't fix. Its not disturbingly so, so I don't mind it.

Sounds great with Maroon 5, Yo-Yo Ma, Bob Marley, Enya, etc... Everything i've thrown at it so far sounds great (as long as its a good recording - these really do point out the flaws in bad ones).

So far, 20 minutes in, I am very impressed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphexii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my Q-Jays. Unamped for the time being, directly from my iPhone, no EQ.

Took me a little while to get the tips on (am i doing something wrong?) Ended up with smaller tips than i originally thought i would need. Took a few minutes to get used to the feel, but 10 minutes in, i dont even notice they are there now.

SQ?

I have to say, these are the closest sounding IEM's i've heard to the HD595, and I absolutely LOVE IT. They handle the delicate sections superbly, they seem to be brighter than the UM2's and E500's i had. I used to think I was a basshead, but i'm now finding i'm far from it. Good amounts of bass, not too much, but its tight. Mids are a bit recessed IMO, but nothing a little EQ couldn't fix. Its not disturbingly so, so I don't mind it.

Sounds great with Maroon 5, Yo-Yo Ma, Bob Marley, Enya, etc... Everything i've thrown at it so far sounds great (as long as its a good recording - these really do point out the flaws in bad ones).

So far, 20 minutes in, I am very impressed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great to hear your happy. Could you please try one thing for me? Listen to some kind of rock like Breaking Benjamin or Linkin Park and tell me how they perform. I have wanted to know (for some time now) what they are like for that kind of rock but havn't gotten any responses. Thanks and enjoy
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Great to hear your happy. Could you please try one thing for me? Listen to some kind of rock like Breaking Benjamin or Linkin Park and tell me how they perform. I have wanted to know (for some time now) what they are like for that kind of rock but havn't gotten any responses. Thanks and enjoy

I am interested in this as well.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

sure thing, lemme throw some on my phone

If you have listened to the Shure e2c's than please tell me how they stack up against the q-jays (in the rock music). Thanks either way.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 38
Ok listening through Linkin Park - Reanimation, sounds very good. Definitely got me banging my head. Nice crisp highs and a tight bass line, works well with linkin.

What i love is that there is NO hiss in the quiet parts, AT ALL. Combo of the sensitivity and ohm rating i've heard, it makes difference cause I really do notice the silence.

And no, it dosen't fit the iPhone w/o an adapter, I'm using a 2" one I picked up from eBay, works great.

So comfortable too, less than a minute in, I cant feel them AT ALL. Only complaint, when your not listening to anything, the microphonics are very noticeable.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 38
Ok, now testing them out with my Meier Porta Corda III amp.... Still listening to Linkin Park - Reanimation....

Definitely fills out the sound more, almost brings me inside the song, I am liking what I hear
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 38
Sure thing, i'll wait till i get a bit more experience with em, but so far, two thumbs up...

Another annoyance though, the case is WAY to small. It cant even hold the extension cable that you need with em.

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #11 of 38
Have you tried EQing the bass up a little to see if it can be strengthened? I don't mind bass being tight and controlled, but I do mind if it's too quiet.

It seems to be quite difficult to get an idea of exactly what the bass qualities of the q-jays are like. Nobody seems to talk about it much.
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, do the q-jays fit the iphone without an adapter?

No they don't. But we do sell iPhone adapters with JAYS design. 15 or 90cm. Black or white. We have them in stock but the website haven't been updated yet. But within a week they can be purchased by customers or resellers.

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Williams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried EQing the bass up a little to see if it can be strengthened? I don't mind bass being tight and controlled, but I do mind if it's too quiet.

It seems to be quite difficult to get an idea of exactly what the bass qualities of the q-jays are like. Nobody seems to talk about it much.
frown.gif

The bass fills in very nicely with a little bit of EQ help.

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Another annoyance though, the case is WAY to small. It cant even hold the extension cable that you need with em.

And what about wearing them with cable around ear? and moving that small movable part(can't remember word for that) to fix headphones? that should help with microphonics and holding in ear

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 38
Case is just such an insignificant item, go to anywhere and buy a case to your heart's content, Italian leather and bedazzled if u like.

More annoying is the short cable. Unless yer 4' tall, u are forced to use the extension cable (more bulk).

The word yer looking for is the "tie clip" which is not included but everybody have a few of those lying 'round the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back