Q Jays exposed wire help
Dec 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ofsahf

New Head-Fier

The covering around the wire separated from the connection between the wire and the headphones on one side of my Q Jays. Picture is attached to demonstrate what I mean. These are pretty old (Several years) so its not surprising. I tried to put electrical tape but the tape does not adhere to either the plastic on the headphone part or the wire covering so it wont stay in place. What can I do to protect this? Also, should I be doing this on the other side as well (as a prevention measure before it breaks)?

Aesthetics is not a concern.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Q jays has a warranty of 24 months (2 years). 1 years for cables.

If its past the date, I'd go to a local electrician & ask him the cost for resoldering. If its as high as a new IEM forget it & buy a new one.

THIS IS FOR THE WISE
But then there is always the option of you soldering it yourself. THIS SHOULD BE DONE if on only if you have great soldering skills.  

Taping it back is an option but I'd use insulation tape for the tear. A couple of rounds along it would do. But ultimately it will stretch & wires will break.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Or you can have it sent to btg-audio who may be able to do a mod to it to have detachable cables.  Either that or get them reshelled into custom if they are balanced armatures :)

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 6
these are pretty old, i got them when q jays were very new which makes them well out of warranty. btg audio's website says they do not service jays, unfortunately.

the headphones still work fine, i stopped using them (Except to test) immediately after noticing the covering had broken, i'm just curious the best way to protect them from now on>_<

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 6
i thought i would update this since no one had any helpful suggestions in case someone else searches the forum in future for a similar problem:

electrical tape didn't come close to pretending it would help, so that was a bust. at a friend's recommendation i tried "heat shrink tubing", which are rubbery tubes you can use for wiring and such. this may have worked better if i had appropriate equipment (i used a lighter instead of a heat gun and i had to cut the tubing because it was too small to go around the earpiece and i definitely wasn't going to cut the headphone wire), but as i tried it, it went awful. i say awful because it didn't just not work, it came close enough to working that i kept at it and when i'd finally given up the headphones looked in worse shape than when i started. if the problem was in the middle of the wire i think this would have worked great, but being at the joint there was very little for the tube to "grab onto" at one end and this actually using the headphones would subject this area to a lot of movement requiring it to be pliable.

then isaw 'performix liquid tape' at the hardware store. this is like a paint on electrical tape. the brush that came in the bottle was way too large so i repurposed a small make up brush which i cleaned with acetone between coats. i covered the exposed area and went a couple cm further down the wire, and then reinforced it all the way up the white back of the ear piece and the results were great. earphones still sound great and more importantly, the coating seems secure, has a little bit of flexibility to it, and has shown no signs of separating or cracking after several weeks of use. since the joint between the wire/earpiece is what separated, i went ahead and reinforced this area on the other side with the liquid tape as well (much less obviously), something i think anyone might want to consider as a preventative measure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back