Q: Gaming Headphone with a Mic (Good one)
Nov 22, 2005 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rajs

Head-Fier
icon10.gif
Hi -- After impluse purchasing a Logitech Headphone with a mic on it ... and realizing it is just awful ... I thought I'd better come and poll the GURUS here and see if anyone had any recommedations ....

Use -- With a PC for Games only.
Need -- Clean sound coming in (earphone) and clean sound going out (MIC) when playing First Person Shooter games on a PC.

Connected to -- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 earphone and mic jacks.

Could anyone recommend a REAL good wired headphone / mic combo.
Also are there any good quality wireless combos out there anyone has experience with and would recommend ?

Thanks !

- raj

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 17
sennheiser pc 150 is the best headset i have used so far.

the plantronics .audio90 is also supposed to be good for gaming/ts/vent.

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 17
The new HSD and HSC lines from AKG may be worth investigating as they seem to use the K271S and K171S as their template.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 17
philodox - thanks ... took a look and seems interesting ... but the connector is an XLR type ... so won't go into my Audigy ....

Nov 22, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 17
I had this decision to make too.

I settled on buying regular headphones and a clip-on lapel mike. It works just as good as the headset mic. When I get up, I unclip it from my shirt.

Nov 23, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 17
i have the senn pc150. i like them alot. they sound good for games, aren't too expensive, are comfy, and have pretty heavy bass for gun shots and explosions. they can boom and rumble and don't distort. not so great for music, but well-tuned for gaming IMO.

don't get headphones with a usb connection, unless they have an adapter for mini headphone jacks. you definately don't want to use USB, cause it'll bypass the processing on your soundcard, and use a built-in inferior processor.

Nov 23, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 17
All - Thanks for the great suggustions so far ... if there are any others ... or even wireless ones please share ....

In regards to the seperate ear phones and a seperate clip on mic option ... any suggustions for a decent clip on mic ?

Nov 23, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 17
I've got an audio.90 by plantronics

It probably isn't better then the phones aboven but at 20 bucks they're quite good value.

These are good enough for me for gaming but they sound kinda muddy when you listen to music.

Nov 23, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rajs
philodox - thanks ... took a look and seems interesting ... but the connector is an XLR type ... so won't go into my Audigy ....

If the plug is the only thing holding you back, it's quite possible to make (or buy) an adapter that does XLR -> mini

Nov 23, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 17
Sennheiser has a version of the HD280 with a mic, unfortunately it's some $200, and the mic needs to be amplified I believe. They should really downgrade the mic in that and sell it as a gaming headset. It would blow away all other gaming headsets on the market, including their own. I'm not really sure why they designed new headphones of their headsets, given the existing quality of their line...

Nov 28, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 17
Cthulhu -- Any recommendations where to pick up the Beyerdynamic 234 Pro ?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 17
i've just had a channel fail on my second pair of audio.90s in 2-3 years. The first were replaced under warranty but that has since expired. For the price I'd say they were really nice. Light and easy to wear for extended periods of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back