[Q] difference in staging between left and right ear.
May 22, 2003 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jkim

New Head-Fier
I feel difference in staging between left and right ear.
I feel this more when I am using ra-1 and rs-1 rather than corda and hd600.
I wonder whether this is for my asymmetic ear or wrong equipment.
I feel wider stage in right ear that left. and left is somewhat closer that right.
Is there anyone feel similar with me?
Please answer.

May 22, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 19
mine is the opposite. feels like everything is shifted to the right. most noticable for me with etys.

May 22, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by jkim
I feel difference in staging between left and right ear.
I feel this more when I am using ra-1 and rs-1 rather than corda and hd600.
I wonder whether this is for my asymmetic ear or wrong equipment.
I feel wider stage in right ear that left. and left is somewhat closer that right.
Is there anyone feel similar with me?
Please answer.

Staging requires both ears. It has nothing to do with 'one ear'. It's the stereo image.

May 22, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 19
Nobody has exactly matched ears, I think is more in the frequency domain. My right ear is slightly muffled, the same sound seem less close on it. Try a mono record (same signal in both drivers) and feed one at a time to make sure what's going on. It's not big deal, in stereo you can't tell the difference. You'll survive, man.

May 22, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 19
The best way to test if it is a recording thing or an ear thing is to switch the RCA leads over. If it still seems as wide, but to the other ear it is due to the recording. If it compresses somewhat in the imaging or soundstage it is your ear. It could have to do with the shape of the ear structure, canal, etc. that is causing a slight difference in audible cues tricking your brian into thinking things are coming from a different place.

May 22, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 19
An interesting question. I like the suggestions for trying the phones backward, and swapping cables, to see if the effect changes sides.

Is it possible that there is an amplitude difference (one side louder than the other)?

If the effect turns out to be specific to one side, I would get the phones checked out by the manufacturer, if possible. Designers use some built in tricks to create the illusion of soundstage, and I would guess that the 2 sides were not tuned equally for this effect.

Good luck.

gerG

May 22, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 19
Kermy,

of course. Q-Tips are my friend. i always let warm to hot water go directly into my ear canal for at least 30 seconds everytime i shower.

jkim,

i don't think thay you can detect soundstage in just one ear. chances are great that you are hearing a volume difference between the two channels.

i would suggest you set your balance with the Grados and then see if it translates over to the hd600s. the Grados may also have differeing clamping pressures and the pads may not be optimisedly placed.

your ears have different hearing spectrums and also detect different volume levels at certain frequencies. (which ear do you use most of the time to listen to the telephone receiver?)

May 22, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 19
and yes if i put my right earbud in my left ear and vice versa everything is still shifted a little bit to the right. it's only there if I look for it.

May 22, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 19
then it's your hearing.

try flushing out your ears of wax.

then try a balance control.

so you use the telephone on your right ear?

May 22, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 19
telephone on my left usually. and even though music makes more sense to my right ear, i beat match better with my left. so i think it's just hearing damage. i think i tilt my head to lead with the left ear at concerts and raves and such.

edit: probably because catching the beat is more important for dancing. which i do constantly. emotionally i get more impact from the right though.

or who knows? doesn't matter that much to me.

May 23, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 19
I omitted something.
When I change phones backward or chage interconnector, phenomenon is same. right ear feels wider staging than left.
and when I hear my beatles mono CDs, I feel no difference between left and right.
In this case, you mean my ear is some asymmetric?

May 23, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #15 of 19
i believe i stated somewhere else that i hear deeper bass with my left ear and higher treble with my right. you may have the same condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back