Q: Clip on headphone upgrade from KSC75
Jun 27, 2005 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

liupublic

New Head-Fier
Looking for recommendation for clip on headphones upgrade from KOSS KSC-75.

Price range: < $150
Source: iPod 4G 40gig. No amp.
Music preference: Jazz 60%/Classical 10%/ Pop-Rock 30%

I will be in traveling to Japan in the few months. So any Japanese only headphone is doable.

Thank you.

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 12
I'd be interested in seeing clip-on upgrade options from the KSC75. My research tells me that the path from the Koss leads to AT clip-ons: EW9 and EM7, a move from $15 cans to $120+. I'm unaware of any clip-ons in between.

But the problem is, sound quality-wise, you're probably not going to get $100 worth of improvement by upping from KSC75 to the AT. There are a few people who like the AT clip-ons a lot but the majority of people don't think they're worth the price (SQ-wise). I like the clip-on form factor and want to stay with it but I'm still hesitant about making the move to the AT.

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 12
20041030-0234_curves.jpg

Otherwise, i'm with socrates. It would be nice to, but it seems difficult to upgrade from the ksc75's.

OT - socrates, how do you like the cm7's? How do they compare to the ksc75s? I just bought some, and i'm interested to see how they turn out. (sorry to threadjack)

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm over here in Japan right now, and there are a LOT of Japan-only clip-ons over here, many of them super stylish. Clip-ons are all the rage over here, and you'll see all different shapes, sizes and colors. They're all consumer-based, priced around the 1000-2500¥ range ($9-22).

However, I've yet to hear any that top the Koss 75s. Granted, I haven't been to any of the audiophile hangouts yet, but from what I heard in another thread, other than the the ATs, there isn't much out there. Also, from what I heard from my friend, they don't take too kindly to heavy bass (then again, most clip-ons don't), so if you're constantly listening to hiphop/techno, don't expect em to last more than a year or two (Jazz shouldn't be much of a problem, but watch out for the heavier sounds in pop-rock). But they sure are sexy looking though...

btw, though they don't boast that great of quality, victor/jvc's Be! lines are a nice compact traveling sets w/ the rollaway cords.

I'm still in audiophile training though, but there's my 2 yen.

btw: what ARE those grado beasts? Custom?
confused.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
Jmmmmm, where'd ya get those Krado's ?

I just found that picture a while ago on some website (which you can see if you look at the properties of the picture). I wish I knew where to get the clips, it looks like an interesting mod. I wonder if they are too heavy to be comfortable.

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 12
Btw, haven't seen Bower (the maker of the "Grado StreetStyles" around in awhile. Wonder w/e happened to him.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 12
you could wait for the grado streetstyles, which should be out any day now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back