Q about album art with 48K WAV files?
Nov 7, 2009 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FortisFlyer75

1000+ Head-Fier
I have the Touch 2G (version 2.2.1 (5h11a) and when using WAV files @ 44,100 khz i have no problem with album art being displayed, but when i encode @ 48,000 khz it is not capable of displaying the album art.

Does anyone know why this is and if it is possible for the album art can be displayed with music at the higher 48,000 khz encoding?

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

WAV files don't support artwork so you can't manually embed artwork into a WAV file like you can with other formats. When artwork is downloaded from the store it's not embedded into the file, it comes down in a proprietary format and is stored in an album artwork folder. The artwork is then referenced to the WAV file which gets round the fact that WAV doesn't normally support artwork, unless you are using iTunes to fetch artwork in this way you can't add an image to the WAV file.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1826860

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by VARO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1826860

Cheers for that, i think i understood that quote! i wll check out that thread on Apple.

I'm still not to sure though why album artwork on itunes works fine then with 44k wav files but not the 48,000 khz files?

I wonder what the difference is for it not to be working with 48,000 khz wav.
When i press get album art work, nothing happens whereas i do it with a normal 44K file it retrieves it okay.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 6
Probably because artwork exists for the red book standard. WAVE doesn't contain images but you probably can shove a cover.jpg in that directory and music software will pick that up.

The bigger question though why are you using WAVE not flac, alac or ape?

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 6
I am surprised you even got artwork with 44.1kHz files, since WAV (the audio container) does not support it.
Not a answer to your question, but I highly recommend you look into Apple Lossless. It fully support artwork, and store your audio data in a compressed form without loss.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably because artwork exists for the red book standard. WAVE doesn't contain images but you probably can shove a cover.jpg in that directory and music software will pick that up.

The bigger question though why are you using WAVE not flac, alac or ape?

Did try a jpg in the directory but nothing happened.
Flac does not work with Ipod far as i know, most prob wiil have to use alac.

The onlly reason i am using WAV is the Touch is just for home use with a LOD through a nice amp with my AKG 702's and not wanting to use it in the normal form, cram as much on there compressed for portable use, i thought i would try the best quality i could get and see that WAV also encoded @48k as well as the normal 44k but thats when i found out it was not doing the album art like i was finding with the 44k encoded wav songs.

Guess i will just use alac.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am surprised you even got artwork with 44.1kHz files, since WAV (the audio container) does not support it.
Not a answer to your question, but I highly recommend you look into Apple Lossless. It fully support artwork, and store your audio data in a compressed form without loss.

I was surprised as well, but found @44k WAV it was transferring artwork okay to the Touch for some reason, but then was not with it @ 48K wav.
Like i mentioned above to ireverdude, i will use alac instead.

Does anyone know about the AIFF encoder and what that is all about as i noticed that is like WAV and does not compress at all, but just wandered who uses that? Not sure it supports artwork either.

Thanks for your responses, i just wanted to clarify this issue as i have wiped the Touch clean and needed to know before i started putting measurable amounts of music back on there. ; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back