q: 2.1 for pc?
Jun 19, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 7
At that price, I'd start looking into separates. Look for a budget system consisting of an integrated amp or receiver and some mini monitors. Do a search on budget speaker systems.

At the moment, I'm using a vintage Marantz with some Michauras for my pc setup. Sounds much better than the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 I used to have.

Jun 20, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 7
darkclouds has a good point. Although that CSW system is very good, for the same $500 you can get a good used integrated amp for ~$300 (an NAD, for example), and a set of PSB Alphas for around ~$200 (such as http://www.yawaonline.com/psbalbbstoc5.html). That system will give you better sound, plus a lot more flexibility. You won't get the boomy bass, but you'll get true high-end sound.

Jun 21, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 7
hm, what about some more affordable options then? what is the cheapest integrated amp that is still recommend-able?

about those psb alphas, do they come in pairs? they dont really specify .. but i'm assuming they do. i'm not in a rush to get these speakers, but i want to know what i'm looking for (i shall be looking in the near future however, after i get some nice headphones)

Jun 21, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 7
The cheapest integrated amp I know of is the Cambridge Audio A300, which retails for $300. I've seen it used for $160. A pair of PSB alpha minis would cost you $99. Maybe you could find a good deal on a cheap sub like the velodyne CHT series, and you would be rockin
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 7
The PSB Alpha Bs are $199 per pair at the link I provided.

I don't think the PSB Alpha Minis are available for $99 anymore, vrao81.

If you can find a used NAD 304, 314, or 340, it would be perfect for you, and you'd be hard pressed to find anything better for <$300.

Jun 22, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 7
I just bought a pair of Polk R15's from circuit city for $80/pair. They sound incredible and vastly superior to any multimedia speaker (I've owned plenty of them). I think these are shielded so they should be fine for use with the pc. I am using a Sherwood stereo receiver which I picked up for $95. Don't let these low prices fool you I think you get a great deal of musicality for the money here. That leaves you $200 for a sub. I would look at used or refurbished gear or you could look into building your own sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back