PXC 360 BT with smartphone, need amp?
Dec 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

boebi0

New Head-Fier
Simple question really, I'm considering getting the Sennheiser PXC 360 BT headphones but I'm slightly worried it won't run properly off my phone.

I'm guessing that there wont be a problem when listening over bluetooth as the battery should provide the necessary power to the built in amp?

But what if the battery runs out and I plugin the cable, will I require an additional amp?

If yes, any recommendations? Would usually be used when traveling so size matters ^^

Thanks and happy holidays!

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Well bluetooth means that the phones will run off their internal battery + amp, an external amp will do nothing.

Most active headphones don't sound so good once the battery is dry.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 4
Well it really depends on the amplitude of the signal coming from your audio source device. Smartphones won't blow your ears, but the PXC 360 BT don't have extraordinarily big driver units so I guess their impedance should be small enough to play nicely when using only the cable. I mean, you won't get DJ painful loudness, but it should be acceptable to my taste.

Actually the product specifications say they have a passive impedance of 100 ohms, which is often considered to be the lowest of high-impedance values. (in-ear are 32 ohms or so, and that's why they usually sound louder).

Edit: Confirmed. When I use them passively (that means at 100 ohms, no internal ampli) with my phone I don't even have to pass half the maximum volume. They can get really loud and painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back