PX200's yay or nay??
Dec 12, 2005 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TAF94

100+ Head-Fier
I want a good pair of lightweight excellent-sounding headphones with a short, thin cord. Are the PX200's good or not? I like these because I heard they have better highs and midrange than the PX100's and are even lighter in weight. There are so many conflicting reviews I need some advice.
confused.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 9
Not sure of what advice to give as if you have a little more in the budget you can do a lot better, and are you looking for in-ear or bud style.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 9
I like my PX200s, they aren't expensive and they offer a small amount of isolation with no leakage.
Good things:
1. Little case for storage.
2. Stylish enough for public use if you worry about that sort of thing.
3. OK sound.
4. Closed design.

Bad things:
1. OK sound
2. Very little isolation

The PX100 sounds much better, the new ones even have better high frequency response. But for listening in public, I don't like them, you have to crank the music to loud to drown out the sounds around you, and everybody around you hears what you are listening to.

If you can live with an ear plug design, that is what I would recommend. Good isolation, much better sound, nice small package.

Dec 13, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TAF94
Sorry, no IEM's. Earbuds are a possible. I really just wanted to know people's experience with the px200's. PX100's are better? Anyone else?

although I have a bunch of better cans, my PX 200's consistently get the most usage. This is because they offer very good sound, unamped, for their size. Even though the isolation is not as good as larger closed cans, it's still enough to block out most ambient noise.

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 9
I would say definitely nay. I know they are inexpensive but the PX200 are poor sounding. The PX100s sound better indoors.
The cheaper Koss phones sound better, even the Sony e888 earbuds sound better.

Dec 13, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 9
the PX200's are VERY "seal-dependent". If you do not get a good seal against your ear they sound rather poor comparatively. With a good seal they sound more balanced to me than my PX100 (which are bass-heavy).
The PX200 has nice tight bass with reasonably decent extension for their size, even unamped. Unfortunately many seem to be unable to achieve the necessary seal and find the bass to be poor.

Dec 13, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the 250s which are the 200s with noise cancelling. I find the sound to be fairly poor - I must not be getting a good seal, because the sound is bass deficient and thin sounding to me. The result is I only use them on airplane flights, where you have to use some kind of closed headphone or IEM in order to not annoy your neighbour.

By contrast my PX100s are very enjoyable, and are my main portable headphone.

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 9
If you are able to try them then do. I find the 200 are much better than the 100. If you love boomy bass you may want the 100. But to me the 200 are better ballanced. I have no problem with the "seal" they give me a good bass respone. I have the 100 200 and 300. The ones I use the most on the move are the 200.

For home I use the HD600 and sometime HD595

For me it's a yay!!!

R
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back