PX200 - too much bass?
May 5, 2004 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Karlosak

100+ Head-Fier
Let me tell you my little story:
I've been using Porta Pros with my iRiver iMP550 for a long time. They sounded quite good, little warm with nice detail. But their overpowered and bloated bass was driving me mad. After listening for about two hours my head seemed to burst. I partially corrected it with iMP550 EQ setting but it didn't helped much...
Therefore I was looking for a replacement. I looked for a phone that would be neutral as much as possible with great clarity. Isolation and portability would be plus.
To shorten it a bit, I ended up with PX200. When I tried them at the local Sennheiser dealer I wasn't much impressed. They sounded muffled. I quite prefered PX100 to it (but disliked it's bass). I bought the PX200 just for the sake of its isolation.
At home, I tried to fiddle with their position to get the best fit. And luckily I found it! The "sweet-spot" was much lower and front than I expected. The phones sitting on my ears really low, to the front of my head make the best position. And what a change was that!!!
The Bass is now so strong and powerful - more than I actually need! It's at the same level as the Porta Pro's bass but not so bloated. I'm really satisfied
smily_headphones1.gif
But when you don't get the fit then the sound is bad. Proper positioning is crucial.
Now I have just one wish: to get a bit more highs and these phones would be awesome!

So the conclusion is: Really play with the proper position. It's quite difficult to get it, but when you learn it, then it's a matter of few seconds to get the fit.
I know that there are quys that seem to never get it. In my opininon, in most cases it isn't a problem with different ear shape but a problem with trying many different positions.
When I first heard these phones I said for myself: "What a crap...?!?" But after enough "struggle"
biggrin.gif
with their position I can't complain
cool.gif

May 5, 2004 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 2
Hm....I do think the PX-200's bass is a little strong ( just a little ) , but it could be because the PX-200's sound is rather dark itself, so i guess that helps acentuates the bass a little more, thus making it seem that there might be a tad too much bass. Well, that's my 2 cents.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back