px200 good for long plane ride?
Feb 24, 2004 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cresny

500+ Head-Fier
I've read through this forum and I've pretty much decided on the px200s for my trip to Australia. I'll be using them mostly on the plane rides, which I'm making several of. I'm trying to travel as light as possible.

I also own Ety ER4S which I used to use with an Airhead, which has since died. I never much cared for the Etys on the plane because I would get a sort of clogged up sinus feeling. The Sharp MD33s recently discussed here seemed interesting and I'm thinking they might be more comforable than the Etys because the don't go as deep, and also I wouldn't need an amp (I'm using them with an ihp-120).

Anyone tried either of these on a plane with good results?

Feb 24, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 6
well, ive used it for car and bus rides... and i found that they dont provide adequate isolation for enjoyable listening.

i am able to get a good seal with them, as i hear terrific bass response. they just arent inherently very isolating. i imagine the more constant and louder droning on a plane would make them even less enjoyable

perhaps you should look into noise cancelling phones?

Feb 24, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 6
eCost has some PXC250s for $70 or so refurbished, they would be much better for a plane ride than some PX200s, the active noise cancellation will make a large difference on a plane.

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by cresny
I've read through this forum and I've pretty much decided on the px200s for my trip to Australia.

I'm glad you're coming over here.

Feb 24, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 6
What ls20 said.

I found the PXC250 much more effective simply because it cancels out the drone of engine noise. That alone contributes tremendously to lack of fatigue.

However, for frequencies above that you're relying on something that's effectively a PX200. Babies, etc will still make an impact on your listening experience. It does effectively mask air-con hiss as well though.

If you are going with the PXC250, consider the Shure E3c or the Ety ER-6 too. Both of these hare greater overall isolation than the PXC250, although the 250 is slightly better at removing the drone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back