Jan 28, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #17 of 68
I just thought I'd add a few pics of the none-white version:

PX100_top2.jpg

PX100_bottom2.jpg

PX100_side2.jpg

PX100_folded2.jpg

PX100_empty2.jpg

PX100_open2.jpg

Well, if we exclude the Senn MX350 / 450 and the Panasonic RP-JE50E... the PX100 was the first 'decent' headphone I ever used (i.e. not a stockbud) and I loved the sound right away but... I could still hear the faults as well (mainly the slightly muddy bass).

I did order the Sony D66SL eggos next (agreed, also for their 'Japanese alien'-coolness factor) and I do love their 'different' sound signatures

Recently I gave the PX100 away to my dad (58) as he has an enormous head (too big for any normal hat-size) and he resents phones that put pressure on his ears. He was looking for a decent headphone for movies and music from his intel mac-mini and as he really liked the PX100, I thought I'd do a good thing and donated them as a Christmass present. But after a bit I kinda missed them as the D66L's closedness and to a minor degree bass-lightness (sorta fixed with Bower's mod) isn't always what I want.

I then stumbled on a nice HiFi-shop near my parents' place (looking for a Marantz CD-player) and saw the PMX100 on display for relatively little money (€40)... and of course I couldn't resist: the sound of the PX100 and a behind the neck band (which is great, as I'm not bald/shaven and need to attend meetings and teach uni-students but still like my music inbetween classes/meetings so avoiding headphone hair is a plus sometimes). I must say the PMX100 are still good but the brilliant value-for-money sound of the PX100 gets compromised a bit by the behind the neck setup, but this is a (personal) positioning problem more than anything else. They do put more pressure on my ears while they are much harder to position to get the best sound the P(M)X100 are capable to deliver (but I have very small ears and a pretty small sized head as well).

I'm currently awaiting a pair of ATH-A900's (jumped onto the great audiocubes $169 or €140-shipped deal) as my first step into (closed for now) HiFi headphonics... and I'm already very interested in 1) upgrading my non-portable (portable is RH1 Sony Hi-MD + LittleDotMicro+) source (looking for a Marantz 5001 or 7001) and 2) Beyer and Grado sounds (still looking for a place to audition)

PS: before anyone makes any remarks about the watermark not being mine...well, I'm known as 'The Low Volta' over at Minidisc Community Forums, a forum you should really check out if you have any love for the (Hi-)MD format

PS2: I will try to take some pics from the PMX100 as well if there is interest

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #19 of 68
Nice photos - those things are SEXY!!!

Must resist urge; I am not in the portable market.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the PX100 a good, early showcase of the Senn sound signature?

TIA.

Yes, sounds like a somewhat less refined HD580.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just thought I'd add a few pics of the none-white version:

You know, From the stock pictures of the PX100 (black), I thought they wouldn't look that good. Your pictures show them in a much better light than the stock photos, and they look good too.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #23 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, sounds like a somewhat less refined HD580.

Thanks.

Ugh, so many things to try out these days, so little money.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #25 of 68
I agree that the PX100 are outstanding (especially for the price) - however, I think it's a mis-statement to say that they are 90% of the HD580. Firstly, because the two are designed to be entirely different headphones and, secondly, it is a GROSS exageration. I have both and the HD580 is in another league altogether (no disrespect to the PX100). The PX100 are certainly fun, but come on, the HD580 just laughs at it when driven properly.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #26 of 68
I've been searching for a different portable headphone. I already own the PX100, and so far I can't find anything that compares (sigh). I do like the black. Not to sound vain or anything (well...maybe a little vain), but I'm thinking of buying the blacks and letting my buddy try (read...keep) my whites.

I ordered a pair of iGrados today. I'll try to write a comparison between the two in the next couple of days. I don't expect the Grados to be better...just different, which is what I want.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your pictures show them in a much better light than the stock photos, and they look good too.

thanks Towert7, through my browsing/lurking experience, I've come accross lots of nice (Darth/Luke/stand) pics from you so this encouragement means quite something for me!

When I get my ATH-A900's I'll try and capture them in the same style as well and perhaps (if the H-F bugs gets me) the rest of the phones to-come as well...

PS: for ppl interested: I used all natural light - deflected sunlight in a room facing north + a cloth-paper tablecloth underground + a casio 3mp point-and-shoot with macro-settings and that's about it

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #28 of 68
Anyone know if the cord can be replaced as with other sennheisers (without major surgery)?

If not, I would like to replace the plug, which has come loose from the cord. I'm not good with solder but I would think someone would make a replacement plug that makes a permanent connection by compression when the cap is screwed on.

I love these headphones and hate having to park them on the shelf.

Thanks,
Tim

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #29 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by telliott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if the cord can be replaced as with other sennheisers (without major surgery)?

If not, I would like to replace the plug, which has come loose from the cord. I'm not good with solder but I would think someone would make a replacement plug that makes a permanent connection by compression when the cap is screwed on.

I love these headphones and hate having to park them on the shelf.

Thanks,
Tim

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!
blink.gif

The cable is not designed to be detachable.

What you are talking is a "crimp on" or "screw" type plug and not a solder on plug. Personally I've never seen a crimp on or screw 3.5mm stereo plug, but they may be out there.

Might be eaiser trying to find someone who can do the soldering for you or give it a try yourself....

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #30 of 68
I bought some PX200s the other day and I reckon just about everything the OP said applies to them too. Plus they barely leak at all. They don't isolate very well, but its nice to here cars coming at you sometimes!!

I think the PX200s are a great portable alternative for those of us that don't like IEMs. I bought the the flight package, which for an extra AUD$10 gave me a great zippered case (and one of those airplance converter plugs, why you'd listen to the inflight service over your music though I'll never know).

Thoroughly underrated phones IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back