PX100's died, time for full sized headphones.
Jan 6, 2009 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pwnRhasta

100+ Head-Fier
ALRIGHT guys im kinda noob this whole audio thing so firST POST!!!!!!!!!

[size=xx-large]PX 100s died[/size].
so. im stuck with jvc gummies as of right now.
and i kinda need some suggestions on what headphones i should get.

[size=medium]First[/size] of all.
Im Considering the Senn HD555 or the Grados SR80 so far.

[size=medium]Second[/size], here is what i do.
I Listen to a lot of metal, rock, and techno. Those are my 3 favorite genres.
I love bass so, i was woundering if the bass on the HD555 are equivalent or better than the px100s. then im sold to the hd555s. Otherthan that, i may consider them. My limit on headphones right now is $100. I found hd555 on amazon for $95 no tax or shipping fees at all so thats a plus. Similar price on the Sr80s as well. I got loads of 320kbps tracks. If there is any good cheap amps out there i should know about then tell me so it could go along to my little audio experiance. I play a lot of cs and games and stuff, so hearing the enemy first is a plus.

SOO

I am looking forward to purchasing my new set of headphones.

So far, px100's is the craziest thing I put my head on.
My new set of "cans" should blow me away.
THANKS!
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 16
I agree. Id say to save up a bit more and then get something like the Audio Technica AD900 or Beyerdynamic DT250. By the way, what is your source?

The MS-1 or AD700 would both be better choices than the SR80 or HD555 though if you want something around $100. Keep in mind though none of these are bass heavy though.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 16
the bass on the grados and the senns is decent but not a lot. for a lot of bass under 100$ in a large headphone get a jvc harx700 or 900 or dx1. 38$ ,59, and 75. also look on ebay for beyerdynamic dt770/80. the manufacturer sells them for 99$ there sometimes. sometimes you can find an ultrasone dj1 or 550 under 100$ on ebay also

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 16
Aww really?
well all i really heard like the most sounda quality are from my freinds Senn HD 280's , but i only like listened tot hem for a minute
but it was pretty good.

yeahh $100 bucks is like my limit. :/
im 16 and i dont get a whole lot of money in my wallet.
save up here and there, work just a little bit for my neighbor.

took a look at JayB18's suggestions.
DANG
THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!
they look so neat.

whats a source?
haha sry, yeah kinda noob to this audio world.

yeah i dont want to be ALOT of bass

just as much as the px100's or better would be nice.

yeah i do play games alot too
especially counter strike
hearing the enemy first is a good plus.

so probably multimedia headphones would be my general area

music and games.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 16
For $100 it is hard to beat the Audio Technica AD700 for gaming. The most notable improvements over the PX100 are the detail, clarity, energy, speed and soundstage. Bass impact and quantity is quite a bit less than the PX100 though so they may not suit you. The quality of the bass though is much better.

The Alessandro MS-1 is great too but not for gaming as they have a small soundstage. Bass is also quite a bit less than the PX100.

The Beyerdynamic DTX800 or DTX900 are good options too and more balanced than the AD700 or MS-1. Sounstage isn't too bad either. Much closer to the PX100 in bass quantity as well (especially the DTX800). The DT440 are nice too but are a bit above your pricerange.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 16
The HD555 doesn't have fantastic bass, it's not much better than the PX100 when it comes to the bass. Neither is it really that good a metal, rock, and techno can. The AD700 isn't the best when it comes to bass too, but it has a lot more speed and treble than the HD555. So IMHO you should consider between the SR80 and the AD700.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 16
As a bass lover, and it will hurt me to say this, pick up some bose triports at best buy...or a used pair of beyerdynamic 770s pro 80ohm used from head-fi "sale" forum.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 16
Just get another pair of px100's - they're a great headphone for almost anything. Especially since the funds are limited, they'll be fine until you get a job or go to college and sell stuff for money.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 16
For the buck I really like my PX-100's as well for their price point.You can get them new for $35 usually. For me they are very bass heavy, much more so than my Grado SR-225's.

So I would personally jst grab another pair of cheap PX-100's and save the rest of the cash for a true upgrade later.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 16
yeah they have 'em for like 27 or something on amazon.

By the way, I'd love to take a look at your broken PX100's if you could send them. Gimme a PM if you're interested
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, it's a shame you broke them now instead of a month ago, because Radioshack was having liquidation and me and my cousin got about 5 KSC75s for $5 each. Some of them were used, but still. Good deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 16
yeah i was looking at the px100s on amazon
they are like dirt cheap...

yeah i dunno where i placed my px100s at
HAHAHA...

but i cable just snapped
thats all.
like i accidently yanked on the cord
and it came off
all of the sudden

i will consider getting a another pair of px100s.

thanks guys for the help! :]
more suggestions are welcome.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 16
hmmm
one more thing before i make up my mind

Is paying $95 for the HD555 for the audio quality worth it, i heard it is reall comfortable and has great soundstage.
Or
Should i get another px100's i can get for around 30 bucks. Cause its pretty inexpensive and pretty good sounds quality for the price.

yeah i would like to try something new as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back