PX100
Dec 10, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintieman
I love my PX100s, but it sounds like all vocals are dulled somehow on everything compared to my MD33's. Is this normal? Any mods to get around this?

it depends how long you've had them.was there a proper burn in?if not this may be why the sound's not as good as you'd like.otherwise it could be your sound source.

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 12
Aboslutely Mintieman. I got them both, and the Sharps sound clearer and more direct. I guess it's because they are canalphones. In comparison the px100 sounds muddy.
However, I think the px100 is very enjoyable for the money in portable use, it's just a matter of readjusting after switching.

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintieman
I love my PX100s, but it sounds like all vocals are dulled somehow on everything compared to my MD33's. Is this normal? Any mods to get around this?

That's their sound signature. That's the one thing I don't like about them.
frown.gif
It got slightly better after a long burn-in but it was still there and it could also be that I just got used to it.

Dec 11, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
theyre boring headphones. had a pair and sold of em. aside from the neat form factor.. theyre not worth anything

Yeah, that's why so many people on this forum love them and they are rated so high by headroom and others. Proving once again that YMMV.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwarzenneger
it depends how long you've had them.was there a proper burn in?if not this may be why the sound's not as good as you'd like.otherwise it could be your sound source.

I think it may be a source problem as well. I have never heard MD33, and I just borrowed PX100 for the weekend. I have tried px100 with headphone jacks on Benchmark DAC1, Sony DVP-NS900V ($1000 SACD/DVD player) and USB Transit. My impression of them is that they are "wickedly" good for their money. I like their open sound, and I think they are 80% as good as my K501. Its bass is slightedly bloated and lacks details a bit. As for vocals, I agree that they don't sound as mesmerizing as my K501. Compared to Etymonics ER-6, its vocal reproduction is also less detailed and airy. I guess you can say its vocal is more dull than K501 and ER-6, but not in a serious way though, IMO. And I did this comaprison on DAC1, a supposedly very transparent and neutral source. It is possible that your source happens to make vocal sound dull with px100, and with MD33 it happens to be fixed. There is always compromise in budget components, or even not-so-budget stuff.

If some people think px100 is overrated, I would love to hear their opinion on a better alternative at this price range. To my ears, PX100 is much better than Koss KSC-50, a good performer in a lower price range. And it still sound satisfying in a direct comparison to K501 and ER-6, two reputed hi-end phones. For its price I think such sonic qualities should make them quote worthy. If there is anything significantly better than PX100 in this price range, I just may have to sell my K501 and switch to that.

Dec 13, 2004 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I think it may be a source problem as well. I have never heard MD33, and I just borrowed PX100 for the weekend. I have tried px100 with headphone jacks on Benchmark DAC1, Sony DVP-NS900V ($1000 SACD/DVD player) and USB Transit. My impression of them is that they are "wickedly" good for their money. I like their open sound, and I think they are 80% as good as my K501. Its bass is slightedly bloated and lacks details a bit. As for vocals, I agree that they don't sound as mesmerizing as my K501. Compared to Etymonics ER-6, its vocal reproduction is also less detailed and airy. I guess you can say its vocal is more dull than K501 and ER-6, but not in a serious way though, IMO. And I did this comaprison on DAC1, a supposedly very transparent and neutral source. It is possible that your source happens to make vocal sound dull with px100, and with MD33 it happens to be fixed. There is always compromise in budget components, or even not-so-budget stuff.

If some people think px100 is overrated, I would love to hear their opinion on a better alternative at this price range. To my ears, PX100 is much better than Koss KSC-50, a good performer in a lower price range. And it still sound satisfying in a direct comparison to K501 and ER-6, two reputed hi-end phones. For its price I think such sonic qualities should make them quote worthy. If there is anything significantly better than PX100 in this price range, I just may have to sell my K501 and switch to that.

seconded "word-by-word".
They are also 99% as good as K141S.

Dec 13, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
If some people think px100 is overrated, I would love to hear their opinion on a better alternative at this price range.

Well, I definitely like the Creative HQ-1300 better - and probably also the AKG K24P. Not so sure about the Philips HP420 yet...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 12
lini, possible differences in the liking of PX100 notwithstanding, I've been looking forward to finding those HQ-1300...
Also the K24P...
Also the Philips... (and HP460, HP830)

Can't find any, yet!

I believe they're all serious competitors (and newer ones...), probably all with a more AKG-like sound (even K24P
tongue.gif
) - which I've always been fond of.

It's always nice to have an all-round, "easy" headphone that you don't have to be overly careful with - more than one is only better. That's the advantage of headphones, always having many tastes at hand, why not enjoy it?!

(on 595: did you see the news on Headroom? wow, I'm "all trepidation")

Bye!

Dec 13, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 12
I am also a AKG K501 fan, (and K1000) and I think for as far as value the PX-100 is the best headphone Sennheiser makes. My only gripe about them is they're too damned easy to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back