px100>>>>yuin pk2 ?
Oct 7, 2007 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

robert1325

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm very interested in these earbuds , how do they compare SQ wise with the px100's? I'll be going unamped and want something a bit more portable.

Thanks

Robert

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 13
Used to own the PK2s (sold them), but it was before I got the PX-100s. So I never directly compared them. You should consider the PK3s, which are $38 shipped in the U.S. at head-direct.com. I have a pair of PK3s on order (for them for $25 via a Head-Fi group buy), mainly because I gave away my other set to a good friend. I can tell you, on ease of use, I'd rather have buds than over the ear phones. SQ-wise, if I had my PK3s, I'd do an A/B test with the PX-100s for you, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Yuin ear buds. I like the PK1s, which require an amp, even better than my SR-80s.

Maybe someone else with both phones can chime in.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 13
So if I like the px100 signature , the pk3 would be a better choice than the pk2? I just cannot see myself buying 140 dollar pk1 buds and an amp as well....

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 13
Completely understand. The PK3s are a little more bassy than the PK2s, which (from memory and reading posts here) have more forward mids and highs. Search for the PK2 and PK3 on Head-Fi, and read the appreciation threads. I can say this, I have not seen anyone complain about the Yuin SQ. Some people find ear buds uncomfortable for long-term use (not me), and others want more isolation (but if you turn them up enough, you can hear the music). I just think Yuin makes a very fine product SQ-wise, and they are completely durable. No need for the PK1s and an amp, though. Although if you read Kramer's review of the PK1s, you might be persuaded, so stay away from that post...

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 13
I have them both and either of them gives good sound IMHO. I use the PX100s more because I don't like wearing an ear bud for very long. I wear my PX100s at work, sometimes for 2 or more hours at a time, and find they are comfortable. Also, I find it easier to take them off and put them on as a single piece.

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Imo, the PK3 SQ is better than the PX100. (and the Ksc35 is better than the PX100, but the PK3 is better than the Ksc35.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 13
I have both, SQ on the pk2 is better than the px100. While the px100 has more bass and bass impact, it'll require you to turn up the volume more to hear it. The mids and highs are a bit muddy on the px100 compared to the pk2. Both are decent earphones for their price. If you're a bass head kinda guy, go for the PX100. If you want something that's warm and airy, the pk2 will suit you well.

Oct 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Thank you ,

I just ordered some pk3's , I think I'll like them better than the pk2 in the end.

Can always do an upgrade. Looking forward hearing these!!!

Robert

Oct 22, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Even though some may scoff at it, do a little pink noise burn-in with the PK3s. Also, they only come with one set of pads, full covers. I modded mine to the donut style (a small hole on the side that sits inside your ear). I like that sound better than covered. Try it first covered, and if it's good, then fine. But I like the highs to sparkle a little more. The PK1s have both donut and full, and that's where I first learned of modding the ones with the PK3. I have a cheap leather hole puncher that works fine.

Also, you can find ear bud pads on ebay cheap, or go to Radioshack for replacments. Some folks find the RS pads thicker and more comfy. Haven't tried them yet.

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 13
The PK3 and PX100 are pretty close in sound IMO unamped. The difference: The PX100 has a slightly larger soundstage, easier listening laid back sound, and does better amped. PK3 for impact, portability, and fun. But I must say, the PK2 blows both out of the water when it comes to detail, soundstage, refinement, and fun though it does lack in the bass impact / sub-bass category compared to the other two. But that's where the PK1 comes in.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both, SQ on the pk2 is better than the px100. While the px100 has more bass and bass impact, it'll require you to turn up the volume more to hear it. The mids and highs are a bit muddy on the px100 compared to the pk2. Both are decent earphones for their price. If you're a bass head kinda guy, go for the PX100. If you want something that's warm and airy, the pk2 will suit you well.

x2
the only thing PX100 won is in bass departement

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #13 of 13
Well, px100 SQ is good enough for when I'm not at home, so the PK3 will suit me fine
smily_headphones1.gif
I've got some spare pads lying around so I'll be ok with trying donuts .

Thanks All for your great advice
smily_headphones1.gif

I might write a small shootout between PK3-px100-ksc75 -- Fx66 ... Should be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back