px100 vs md33 vs ksc35/75
Jan 31, 2005 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hollisterrep

New Head-Fier
hey guys,

i'm pretty new to the site. i've looked around for a while, but this is my first post.

i wanna buy some new phones, but i have no clue what to buy (which is why i came to this site). based on what i want from them, their price, and reviews on this site, i've narrowed my choices to: sennheiser px100, sharp md33, and the koss ksc35 or ksc75

i want a phone that:
- i can use with my laptop and an ipod (or another portable mp3 player)
- is comfortable (i can wear for several hours without feeling sore)
- good sound quality
- isolates fairly well (this isn't really even that important to me. if i'm somewhere quiet, my music will most likely be quiet, and if i'm in a loud environment, it will be a little louder but soft enough so i can hear what's going around me....but i wanna still be able to hear my music over the people next to me)

i listen to pretty much all types of music, mainly rap (lots of bass) and acoustic-type music (good highs), which means i'd like the phones to be good in both the high and low parts of the range (and the mids).

i'm not an audiophile. i just want some nice phones to take with me to college

what i've read-

px100: many people say this is one of the best phones for its low cost. the only down side to it is its lack of isolation (which isn't too important for me). i've also been interested in the px200s because they offer more isolation, but i know i should try on a pair before i buy one. are these pretty much the same as the pxc250s? my friend has a pair of pxc250s so could i just try those on instead (in case i can't find a pair of px200s at a local store)?

md33: good and inexpensive

ksc35/75: "fun". i've heard that the 35s can get uncomfy at times, and the 75s don't sound as good (but can if positioned correctly around your ears). 75s are $10 cheaper.

so help me make a decision! thanks

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 11
if you want to hear the music over the poeple sitting next to you be aware that with the KSC 75/35 PX 100's theyll probably hear your music pretty well too.

the px100s and the ksc 75s sound similar, they are both of equally as good pretty much. the KSC 75 and KSC 35, form what ive i hear from people sound pretty much identical, same drivers. the only differences are due to fit. the KSC 75s DO have their drivers titanium coated but it doesnt seem to make much difference in the sound.

i bought the ksc 75s... and im happy
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollisterrep
which means i'd like the phones to be good in both the high and low parts of the range (and the mids).

You mean... you want... everything? :p

To be helpful, I own both the PX100's and the MD33's and the PX100s do sound better in all areas. MD33's isolation and small form factor is why I carry them around, while my PX100s sit at home, used when I can be bothered. PX100s sound much better up loud for some reason, and the MD33s sound slightly more fun. I would highly recommend modding the MD33s with foam, as it sounds much better.

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 11
The PX100 is not only probably the better one, but undoubtedly the more 'friendly' to wear.

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Sorry to add to the confusion guys...I have to recommend the Sharp's. I've got both the PX 100's and the Sharps that I use with an iPod. Not only do I think they sound better (only marginally however, each will use a different eq setting), but the isolation will be appreciated at times.

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 11
thanks for all the replies

seems like i narrowed it down to the px100, ksc75, and md33 (got rid of ksc35 and px200)

i guess its just a personal preference thing really (depending on what kind of music you like for sound quality, and how your ears are formed for comfort)

any other input would be greatly appreciated before i make my final decision

Feb 1, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 11
A specification -- I read that the PX100 shouldn't quite be at its best with the Ipod. (?)
That would justify a slight advantage of the MD33 over it in the situation.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 11
I use my PX-100s with my iPod every day. They work just fine. The plug fits the hole, the sound comes out sounding good, and nothing catches fire while it's playing.

See ya
Steve

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 11
i can only compare a px100 to a portapro, whereas i assume that portapro and ksc35/75 sound quite similar.

the px100 sounds a bit more natural than the portapro. i wanted an unbiased opinion and even my girl-friend who is not a musician at all said that she preferred the "more natural" sound of the px100.
the px100 have clearer mids in comparison the porapros have sharper treble and a fatter bass, although the bass of the px100 is not too little, but they are harder to drive than the portapros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back