PX100 vs KSC75, and some questions
May 23, 2006 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I would like to know, how is the PX100 vs the KSC75? Also, if you get the black one, how do you tell if it is the newer one? I know the white one it was easy to tell, but I read it's not so easy with the black one. How would you tell? Also, can I have some pictures of you wearing the black PX100? Thanks! Also, how is the sound leakage on the PX100 compared to the KSC75?

May 23, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 15
Both headphones have really minimal leakage when compared to open cans.

AFAIK, there is now way to tell with the black PX100 which version you have (maybe the packaging is different?
confused.gif
) - however, a new black PX100 purchased from any major retailer will almost certainly be new stock, since these are pretty popular headphones.

I have and love both, though the PX100 gets much more playtime. I find the PX100 rather more comfortable (because it has a headband), while the KSC75 clip can get painful for extended wear. However, KSC75 is my choice whenever I go running.

Another reason I use the PX100 more is because I listen mostly to classical, jazz, and acoustic music. It has a really smooth and warm sound signature, very reminiscent of the higher-end HD 580/600 series. KSC75 doesn't sound nearly as "high-end" (imo
wink.gif
). PX100 highs are very smooth and pleasant, presenting violin tone quite well.

KSC-75, however, sounds better with rock. The highs are a bit too grainy for violin, but go very well with distorted electric guitar.

Both feel surprisingly airy and have decent soundstage, with the advantage going to KSC75 on this count.

Both have plenty of bass, but very different kinds of bass. PX100 has quite deep bass that sounds relatively neutral (with a mild hump); KSC75 bass is much more punchy and "one-note", with a sharp emphasis and then a rolloff in the lowest frequencies. The fact that it's a clip-on which stays pretty far from your ear reduces the low bass response of the KSC75, I think. KSC75 bass hits you harder in the midbass region, but it's very difficult to hear the lowest notes on it. If you're trying to make out what the cellos and double-basses are doing in a symphony, the KSC75 will seem very bass-deficient, while the PX100 will do this job quite well. I prefer the PX100 for pieces that have detailed musical info in the bass region, while the KSC75 is fine for music that has "nightclub-like" bass.

On the whole, I think the PX100 is a superior headphone for comfort, neutrality, and ability to reproduce acoustic/classical music realistically (which to me is the real test of any headphone or speaker). I feel like I'm missing a lot more detail and realism on the KSC75. However, obviously, the KSC75's value is hard to beat. If you're not too strapped for cash, I say get both, since only you can decide which one you like. They're both worth every penny.

May 23, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 15
I have both. The PX100 has better bass. The KSC75 has a more transparent, brighter sound. The PX100 looks like a more quality constructed headphone. I like both. You can't beat the price of the KSC75, however. It has amazing sound quality for the $. Because it has no headband, it may be better for portable use (e.g., when wearing a helmet). People say the model without the volume control sounds better. I can't see why if the volume control is cranked all the way up, it is essentially out of the electrical circuit. It's handy to me having the volume control when riding my commute bus, which has headphone jacks for listening to radio or tv, but has a course volume control. Because the PX100 has a headband, it pushes tighter against your ears, which improves the bass some.

May 23, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
KSC-75, however, sounds better with rock. The highs are a bit too grainy for violin, but go very well with distorted electric guitar.

Both feel surprisingly airy and have decent soundstage, with the advantage going to KSC75 on this count.

My experiences with the KSC75 are a little different, I find the highs to be wonderfully produced although it might be grainy. The bass is a little muddy for my taste and I absolutely can't tolerate rap or techno on the KSC75, it seems like the bass and mid-bass gets blended together in a "fast" song. I agree that the KSC75 has wonderful soundstage. Great for the price indeed.

May 23, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 15
I thought the only KSC75s with the volume control were the ones at radio shack. I ordered mine on amazon. It wont have the volume control, will it?

EDIT:
You can't stand the KSC75 for rap? Thats what I will mainly be using it for! What about the PX100 (new version) or the PortaPro?

May 23, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoramus
My experiences with the KSC75 are a little different, I find the highs to be wonderfully produced although it might be grainy. The bass is a little muddy for my taste and I absolutely can't tolerate rap or techno on the KSC75, it seems like the bass and mid-bass gets blended together in a "fast" song. I agree that the KSC75 has wonderful soundstage. Great for the price indeed.

And just think... you could spend $60, pick up a PA2V2, and clean up that graininess and tighten up the bass. I would imagine the Little Dot Micro+ could do the same, too, and it is in the same price range.
icon10.gif

May 24, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 15
Hmmm. I think its all personal preference. I listen to lots of rap with my 75's. I mainly listen to Rock and Rap. Very nice soundstage indeed and I really like the bass impact. Seems tight and present but not boomy like some cans I have used. Some of the stuff I have heard and sounds great are

----- RAP -----
Eminem "Superman" + "Clean Out my Closet"
Black Eyed Peas "My Humps"
Beastie Boys "Intergalactic"
50 Cent "Back Down"

Other or Misc

"Smash Mout" Walking on the Sun" <--- Soundstage + Seperation

Make sure your listen to good quality files/source and think about throwing some kinda amp on there to improve the sound even more. Really loving my 75's with cheapo amp. Waiting to get my Recabled 75's From Jason. Cant wait
eggosmile.gif

May 24, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 15
I listen to mainly southern/black rap, but yeah I think I'll just stick with the KSC75. BTW, I already have a PA2V2, and carrying a portable amp around is out of the question. I buy all my music on CD and rip them to 192k on my ipod and flac lossless on my PC.

May 24, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 15
I love my Sennheiser MX500s for rap. With ballads and female vocals, the KSC75 beats the Senn MX500s no question. But for rap the Senns have crisp clear vocals and incredibly tight bass. The Senns are a little bright compared the the Koss. But the Koss is bass heavy and muddy (without amp). I recommend the Sennheiser MX500s for rap. I'm definitely eye-ing the PA2V2.

May 24, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #13 of 15
I have both PX100 (2 years old) and KSC75, and I prefer the PX100 by far. For me the PX100 is much more comfortable and also has a better sound. My wife likes the KSC75 though when she goes running.

May 24, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
You can't stand the KSC75 for rap?

Yeah...if you'd mentioned this earlier, I would have pointed out that PX100 is preferable for rap since it actually has deep (subwoofer-like) bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back