PX100 MOD --> Sealed-cup?
Mar 4, 2007 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stereophile

Head-Fier
Is anyone aware of a way to mod PX100 headphones so they might approximate more of a sealed-cup headphone?

(Like some replacement earpads from other headphones that fit and create a bit of a seal, etc?)

I love the sound of these light little headphones. If only they didn't leak so much...

I realize I may lose some SQ by sealing them, but thats okay. These have a great sound to my ears, for the $35 price zone -- don't need amp, etc -- a great little all-purpose headphone that you can stuff in your pocket.

If only I could figure out a way to seal them a little more.

I tried what I thought would be a sealed version of these (PX200); but notably different sound.

Any ideas appreciated!

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize I may lose some SQ by sealing them, but thats okay...I tried what I thought would be a sealed version of these (PX200); but notably different sound.

hm, the PX200 sound like the PX100 would when modded to be closed, I guess.

Just put you hands over your ears when wearing the PX100 and listen, is only SQ affected? No, the whole sound signature changes (slightly to enormously depending on how you hold your hands)...

I haven't got my PX100 near (my dad uses them) but when I try it with my grado/alessandros, the sound changes completely, no matter how I hold my hands (very nasal, 'canned' sound)

just look for a decent closed headphone as that will be heaps easier than a good closed mod of the PX100 I think

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Hey Stereophile!

I have the same problem!!

Just bought the PX100 because i read all around that they sound terrific and indeed they do.. at home where everything is quiet. But at the street it just sucks. Is there any kind of foam pad replacement such as the nowhere to be found HD414 pads?

Any idea of a good online retailer in europe? And in spain?
Thanks for the ideas!

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Althoguh they share the same driver, the PX200 also has different earpads than the PX100 in addition to its closed back. Its pads are tiny pleather discs rather than little foam comfies. This is just as important in their closed design aspect as the backing. If you were to close back a PX100 without changing the pads, youd get just as much exterior sound leaking into your ears with the added "benefit" of crushing the soundstaging.

IF you didnt like the PX200, then modding the PX100 is not, I am sad to say, the solution to your exterior noise problem. Either an IEM or a different closed headphone will be nessessary.

If you do want to go ahead with a pad change on the PX100, I assume you would be able to order PX200 pads from Sennheiser. I think that the housing will be the wrong shape however, to fit a Grado pad or an HD414 pad on.

I think given the cost of the PX100 in the first place, throwing money at it in order to try and mod it to what I think it is that you want would be an unrewarding exercise.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 9
I was looking for office solution and made this mod a while ago, inserting px-100 to no-name $15 cans enclosures with plever pads. The result was good indeed. The bass became better controlled, no leaks. The sound quality was close to mdr-7505 (less details, but better highs) unamped from laptop as I can remember. Now my daughter still using them, she is in another city -no pics available.

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 9
Err, speaking of pleather cups for the PX200's... I have the neckband version of the px200's (painful, do not buy), and I was curious as to how you replace the pleather pads; so I pulled them off
lambda.gif
The problem now is I don't know how to disassemble them to put them back on
confused.gif
Anyone know how? Or should I just shove them back in with a screwdriver or something? I've been trying to pry the halves apart, no luck.

EDIT: Oh wow, I feel stupid. You DO shove them back in XDDD Well, more like, insert part of it in and then stretch/insert/stretch/insert. I still want to disassemble them though... to recable

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 9
I've modded my PX100 in every possible way. They'll sound a lot better with real foam pads like the ones from 414. I made my own though. They sound even better after removing that plastic thing in front of the driver, but then you have to destroy them, and you will not be able to use them on-ear again.

I tried a circumaural mod (to increase comfort), but it was impossible to make them sound good this way. The driver is probably designed to be used on-ear.

I also tried to put the drivers in some circumaural ear protectors. The sound was nothing but horrible. Don't even think of it.

I never got the sound to what I was looking for and bought a pair of HD650's instead.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've modded my PX100 in every possible way. They'll sound a lot better with real foam pads like the ones from 414. I made my own though. They sound even better after removing that plastic thing in front of the driver, but then you have to destroy them, and you will not be able to use them on-ear again.

I tried a circumaural mod (to increase comfort), but it was impossible to make them sound good this way. The driver is probably designed to be used on-ear.

I also tried to put the drivers in some circumaural ear protectors. The sound was nothing but horrible. Don't even think of it.

I never got the sound to what I was looking for and bought a pair of HD650's instead.

Lol don't tell me you EXPECTED them to sound as good as HD650's with a few mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back